SE Starla DS-02 Pickups

Nevla

Hi,
I recently picked up an SE Starla - and i'm really enjoying it - well, once I got used to neck on it!

I then switched back to my PRS Allender, in which I have a set of Dimarzio Joe Satriani pickups and it sounds so weak in comparison.

Does anyone know a bit more about the Starla's DS-02 pickups? Any measurements, magnet info, etc? I was wondering what would be a close approximation i could put into the Allender to get a similar sound - just because i'm expecting these two guitars to form part of a live rig.

alternatively, has anyone got a spare set lying around? :)

Many thanks,
Nevla

Not familiar with the DS-02 pickups, but from what I've gathered from demos, they sound rather jangly to my ears, with more high end than I typically hear out of PRS pickups. Maybe similar to EJ Dimarzios, with a similar high end emphasis and lower output. The Satriani pickups, depending on what you have cause there's like seven or eight different pus that are Satch signatures, but generally they are more like traditional PAF's, ranging from the usual 8k Ohm output to 12k. So, what I'm kinda getting at is the Allender and the Starla are very different beasts that do certain genres better than others. Starlas make me think of country rock tones, where as the Allender is geared toward modern rock and metal.

Now if you want to swap pickups out of the Allender to get it closer to the Starla, probably those EJ Dimarzios would get you close. Hope that helps a bit.

The Starla pickups are kind of like a Filtertron - low output, and bright. By far the lowest output HB I have, even less than a vintage PAF.

Some companies make humbucker size/mount Filtertron-esque pickups, Duncan has their Psyclones and I think TV Jones and Lollards make some too. If you’re on a budget, I’d just look around for a used set of SE or S2 Starla pickups.

I believe my Vela has the same Starla pickup on the bridge.. it sounds great in both humbucker and split coil.. strong and articulate... definitely wouldn’t swop it out

Not familiar with the DS-02 pickups, but from what I've gathered from demos, they sound rather jangly to my ears, with more high end than I typically hear out of PRS pickups. Maybe similar to EJ Dimarzios, with a similar high end emphasis and lower output. The Satriani pickups, depending on what you have cause there's like seven or eight different pus that are Satch signatures, but generally they are more like traditional PAF's, ranging from the usual 8k Ohm output to 12k. So, what I'm kinda getting at is the Allender and the Starla are very different beasts that do certain genres better than others. Starlas make me think of country rock tones, where as the Allender is geared toward modern rock and metal.

Now if you want to swap pickups out of the Allender to get it closer to the Starla, probably those EJ Dimarzios would get you close. Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks! Not thought about the EJ pickups before, will check them out.
I'm a little sad that in the last year i've bought 2 fender guitars - if i'd know how good the Starla was i'd've saved some money and bought another ;)

Thanks! Not thought about the EJ pickups before, will check them out.
I'm a little sad that in the last year i've bought 2 fender guitars - if i'd know how good the Starla was i'd've saved some money and bought another ;)
I'm with you on that. I got the SE Starla and then thought that I should complement it with a Strat or Tele from Fender. For me, the Starla has me mesmerised. I can't find another guitar (including very expensive Fenders) that inspire me more! £500 it cost me and worth a load more in my book. The guitar I want to look at next is an S2 Studio but they are not available new and are rare second handers for good reason!

Back