SE standard v custom neck profiles

Stm113

So I have been thinking about SE’s because that’s m price range these days. I’m an LP guy at heart, I want something different. I bought a Santana back in ‘02 and it was not a good guitar, but I’ve heard the quality has improved greatly since.

In my reading I was under the impression that the neck profiles on the Standards and Customs are the same. Yesterday I was at Sam Ash and played a couple, they only had 1 Standard and a few customs. The neck on the standard was chunckier and more like the ‘59ish necks on 2 of my LP’s, where as the Custom necks were perfect for what I am looking for. If we’re being honest I want 2 and one has to be blue, and the whale blue is not attractive to me but the royal standard is. I also like the price of the standard, it’s gives me the wiggle room for locking tuners and probably upgrade pickups.

Does anyone know if my experience with the neck profiles is accurate? I mean on that one standard it was thicker, felt more like what I imagine a wide thick to feel. Could it have been an older model or are the necks different?

Both the SE Custom and SE Standard are spec’d as having “wide thin” necks however they do feel slightly different to me. The prices of the two are not that far off so IMO if the Custom SE neck feels better, the added two or three hundred is well worth the investment.

-k

Back