SE Standard Review

This thread (originaly about a blindfold test of amps) mentions the CU24-lineup blindfold test that the Capt and Chappers did at Andertons in the UK, using the "four" regular-issue CU24s in the PRS line-up:

http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?11825-Blindfold-Amp-Test-Modelling-vs-Solid-State-vs-Tube

Here is the video:

They compare the Core USA CU24, S2 CU24, "normal" SE CU24 and a new "SE Standard CU24", which confused me because I didn't know there was one.

Maybe this will be one of the big announcements from PRS at NAMM?

Last edited by a moderator:
One more thing...

The magazine review is from the UK, and Andertons is in the UK. Could this be a UK-only release for now, coming to America / Rest-Of-World later in 2015?

The magazine also hypothesizes an MSRP price with a figure that is above current MAP pricing of "normal" 30th anniv SE CU24s ($759 according to the official PRS price sheet), so I think they are way off the mark there - it will have to be at least $100 differential in the model pricing, IMHO, or around $650 MAP. For comparison, the SE-7 has a $30 price (MAP) differential between the solid finish and the flamed-top veneer finish.

EDIT: forgot to mention: the article says UK MSRP is 459 pounds. If you compare UK vs US street pricing, you'll often see the currency changes symbols, but the actual figure doesn't...

Last edited:
Fellas, We've talked about this before, there are 4 guitars in the range, a 22, 24, 245 and Tremonti. Right now they seem to be UK/(EU maybe) only, but Capt Lee and the boys will ship world wide. Here is a blog post from Anderton's talking about them, http://blog.andertons.co.uk/guitars/prs-se-standard-models-released I'm assuming they are releasing them in a limited market to make sure the factory in Indonesia can keep up with quality and production demands before releasing them to a wider audience, but again, this is just my thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:
They compare the Core USA CU24, S2 CU24, "normal" SE CU24 and a new "SE Standard CU24", which confused me because I didn't know there was one.

Maybe this will be one of the big announcements from PRS at NAMM?

Yes, a few years back there was an actual SE Standard line.

Yes, a few years back there was an actual SE Standard line.

Sorry, I meant "current-production SE Standard CU24".

Anyway, I hadn't remembered the discussions jimistephen references, though it doesn't surprise me this shouldn't be news. I need to look back for when this was first "news"...

EDIT: Found a thread from December 2014 (i.e. last month). I must have missed it due to the holidays - I wasn't at my computer as much as usual:

http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthr...-Incredible-value-from-PRS&highlight=standard

But I also found this older thread from November, which I should have seen, and somehow glossed over:

http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?11395-PRS-SE-Standard-Models&highlight=standard

So there you have it: proof that I am indeed losing my mind...

Last edited:
Hi, this is my first post on the forum. I usually just read whats going on about different topics but these Se Standards reviews had me super interested. I emailed the company last week and was told directly that there are no current plans to bring the line into the U.S. I am considering ordering a Cu22 with the stop tail from Andertons. I probably agree that the U.K. is kind of maybe a trial for PRS to see if they can keep up with the quality and production. It could even have to do with the PRS SE Zach Myers quality issues that led Paul to maybe look for another or a future building partner? Either way I was disappointed as these guitars really seem to be impressing everybody that has picked one up. Luckily Andertons does ship to the U.S. I have already looked into exchange rates and duty etc. It will cost around 650$ to take delivery of any of the models, which makes it just a hair cheaper than the current Korean range but then again you can't buy a SE CU22 with a stop tail from Korea.

Hi, this is my first post on the forum. I usually just read whats going on about different topics but these Se Standards reviews had me super interested. I emailed the company last week and was told directly that there are no current plans to bring the line into the U.S. I am considering ordering a Cu22 with the stop tail from Andertons. I probably agree that the U.K. is kind of maybe a trial for PRS to see if they can keep up with the quality and production. It could even have to do with the PRS SE Zach Myers quality issues that led Paul to maybe look for another or a future building partner? Either way I was disappointed as these guitars really seem to be impressing everybody that has picked one up. Luckily Andertons does ship to the U.S. I have already looked into exchange rates and duty etc. It will cost around 650$ to take delivery of any of the models, which makes it just a hair cheaper than the current Korean range but then again you can't buy a SE CU22 with a stop tail from Korea.

There are some se cu22 with stoptails on the used market and then you don't lose the maple top. That exchange rate and shipping is murder!

Back