SE standard Hollowbody vs SE Hollowbody II

cloud_dog

Hi everyone,

Looking for any advice on pros and cons when comparing the hollowbody standard with the hollowbody II.

Can't find much online that splits the two other than the difference in wood used for the tops.

Anyone got experience with either?

I know it is subjective and depending the needs, but I am intersted to know the real differences in these guitars so I can consider which one would suit me better.

Thanks in advance

The Standard has a mahogany top which will render it more mid-focused. Think big jazz box on the neck pickup, but not limited to that by any means. The Hollowbody ll has a maple veneer top. More treble on the neck pickup. The other two settings can sound remarkably similar- both pickups/ bridge pickup. There will always be slightly more treble on the ll. Go to the PRS website, you can get any other info you need, and demos. Go play them and see what you think. I opted for the standard because of the balance of the sound to my ears. Also keep in mind that changing strings will greatly alter the sound. Half rounds = more trad jazz. NYXL’s =brighter, more lively, standard= more balance, and still very articulate. YMMV. They’re very good guitars.

Thabks you, great advice and appreciate the info. I would love to test them out but all the stores are closed here. I did find the demos on the prs site and will hunt some more out.

I am looking to use it as more of a blues tool and looking to complement my CE24, so difficult one, leaning toward the hollowbody 2 as seems brighter but capable of some of the darker tones of the standard. I do think the standard looks amazing in the red burst though! Good dilemma to have.

I also have the standard and think it has an amazing tone. I don't think I would want anything brighter. The neck pickup sound is especially good with a deep, rich, but not muddy bass quality. I have not played a SE HB II, so cannot speak to how it compares.

I can see that I may be watching a good number of videos and scouring reviews for the next few days :)

Thanks again for the comments if anyone can comment on the Hollowbody II that would also be awesome.

Rumor has it that the guy who did the PRS video liked the Standard better. I’m a blues player as well, and played big jazz boxes for years, always longing for true hollowbody sound where I could bend the strings. The standard got me there. Then we had the shut down, and I can’t gig it.

Went with the SE hollowbody 2 in charcoal burst. Lovely cleans and feels very light and a pleasure to play, I think it also looks great! Thank for the comments.

Pic if anyone interested.
20200529-194604.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations! I got the same one in April. Fantastic guitar!

I can see that I may be watching a good number of videos and scouring reviews for the next few days :)

Thanks again for the comments if anyone can comment on the Hollowbody II that would also be awesome.
Hello, yes I can say a lot about it. I purchased the hollow 2 tricolor this February, incredibly awesome looking guitar! The body is light and when you play, it vibrates through you. The finish is flawless and the head stock is the best I've ever owned. The guitar case is small but protective. The tuners are not locking but very decent! I did have to adjust the string height, the finger board is a little bit wider, feels like a 14 inch radius. I do like it. The 58/15 s pickups is were I became, well not sure. This is just my opinion, they lacked meat. I felt that they were thin sounding, at times muddy, I can't quite pinpoint it. But I immediately said to my self, the pickups must go, the alpha post must be replaced with CTS pots, and I would place a .22 cap. I've played through a Peavy and Vox amp. I debated on what to do: upgrade it, sell it, or live with it. I felt it would be sacrilegious to gut out this beautiful new PRS. The factory wiring was so tucked up and clamped to the inside body, upgrading would be very challenging. After 2 months of debating, I went for the upgrade and did it myself. After a 2.5 hour surgery, I installed Damarzio 36th anniversary pups neck, bridge. I purchased a customized PRS harness be Emerson with a .22 cap, and CTS pots. OMG! Now it sounds like a bold, big sounding 355 like sounding guitar, wow, I really love it now and it's a keeper! I also considered Seymore Duncans Jazz neck and bridge. Some people my love the 58/15 s, but I guess may guitar is no longer a pure PRS but I am pleased.

Last edited:
Hello, yes I can say a lot about it. I purchased the hollow 2 tricolor this February, incredibly awesome looking guitar! The body is light and when you play, it vibrates through you. The finish is flawless and the head stock is the best I've ever owned. The guitar case is small but protective. The tuners are not locking but very decent! I did have to adjust the string height, the finger board is a little bit wider, feels like a 14 inch radius. I do like it. The 58/15 s pickups is were I became, well not sure. This is just my opinion, they lacked meat. I felt that they were thin sounding, at times muddy, I can't quite pinpoint it. But I immediately said to my self, the pickups must go, the alpha post must be replaced with CTS pots, and I would place a .22 cap. I've played through a Peavy and Vox amp. I debated on what to do: upgrade it, sell it, or live with it. I felt it would be sacrilegious to gut out this beautiful new PRS. The factory wiring was so tucked up and clamped to the inside body, upgrading would be very challenging. After 2 months of debating, I went for the upgrade and did it myself. After a 2.5 hour surgery, I installed Damarzio 36th anniversary pups neck, bridge. I purchased a customized PRS harness be Emerson with a .22 cap, and CTS pots. OMG! Now it sounds like a bold, big sounding 355 like sounding guitar, wow, I really love it now and it's a keeper! I also considered Seymore Duncans Jazz neck and bridge. Some people my love the 58/15 s, but I guess may guitar is no longer a pure PRS but I am pleased.

Nah - that just makes you an owner. I got the Hollowbody standard, and I've thought about changing the pots. I'm just not sure of my ability to do the change w/a Hollowbody. Pickups? Eh - not sure. So far, I'm fine w/the stock. That may change over time. Right now, the guitar gives me a voice I didn't have in my arsenal, and it's been a surprise how often it's fit what I'm working on.

Did you get the harness from PRS? And did you have to drill for the CTS pots? I had to do that on my 7-string when I put US pots in. One slight mishap, but at least it's not visible.

Hello, the PRS harnest came with the CTS pots, its superior to the stock, if you look on EBay now, there is one on sale, type:
,Emerson Custom Pre-Wired Kit For 2-Knob PRS Guitars
Run $96!, I told them exactly what I need it for and they further modified it, was worth it. I have some decent experience with installing pickups, pots, wiring, it can be very tricky with semi-hollow bodies, if I can figure out how to post the pictures of my work I will. I documented it to help someone else. This Emerson harnest comes with a 0.022 orange cap, its was easy to solder. But fishing everything through the f holes and bridge hole is the challenge. Thanks for the reply.

Oh, the Emerson CTS pots fit perfectly through the Alpha pot holes on the guitar, didn't have to enlarge the hole. I do have a tool for that but never used it.

thanks for sharing. im also thinking of gutting the guitar for CTS pots and new pickups. were you able to reuse the clamps for the wires inside the guitar. they did so nice that i don't want to mess it up hehe

thanks for sharing. im also thinking of gutting the guitar for CTS pots and new pickups. were you able to reuse the clamps for the wires inside the guitar. they did so nice that i don't want to mess it up hehe
After doing exactly this, I was not able to reuse the clamps, sadly. Maybe if I'd had an infinite amount of time to work on it? But yeah, mine has a wire that droops into the lower F-hole, I hate it but haven't had a chance to fix it.

i wonder if the clamps are reusable. from what i can tell, it doesn't look like it. if anyone else has experience with this. please share. thanks

Went with the SE hollowbody 2 in charcoal burst. Lovely cleans and feels very light and a pleasure to play, I think it also looks great! Thank for the comments.

Pic if anyone interested.
20200529-194604.jpg
That is the prettiest picture of a charcoal burst I have seen anywhere . Saw it months ago, but could not relocate it

I accused PRS of using better flamed veneer on the Charcoals, as the Tri Colors may be more popular (?) . Anyway, I recently bought my second Tri Color, as it and the Charcoal are now disco ! HB II's only available in the Blue and Black Gold like the Piezo .

The Standard is fantastic in the Tobacco, which I also think is now disco ...which is dumm I think, as they look as pretty as they sound.

As for tonal differences ???

Well there that "tone wood" thing, and even guys with concrete block, poured concrete and now "Air" guitars to say there is nothing to it.

Me I dunno or care. But I do think that ANY of the SE Hollowbodies are among the best guitars on the market, value be dammed ! They all look pretty, and if played out of sight or blindfolded , I doubt you could tell what VENEER (not even solid) wood was employed.

This is a case where clearly. its all good !

Update: Damn Jack Higginbotham’s hide! He had to do the Hollowbody ll Piezo in blue. I was powerless, so the standard got sold. If I ever play in a situation that calls for it, I’ll get another Standard in a heartbeat. My luthier was really impressed with mine.

Back