SE Soapbar II ----- I'm the victim, here!!!

drawshot

Just one more...and that's it!
So......

There I was, minding my own business, when I get a notice that my local shop was blowing out an SE Soapbar II for stupid-low money. So I bought it, over the phone...and I pick it up tomorrow.

This is my first P90 guitar. I already know it is gonna be a mods platform for me to toy around with.

Suggestions?

Anybody have one that they putz'd with, for giggles?

I'm looking for ideas about solid upgrades.

I'm thinking that locking tuners and Core nut would be on my list, right away...but I'm not sure about possibilities for bridge, higher end P90s, wiring (if needed), etc.

Any/all insight would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Great guitar! Agree with Boogie. It doesn't need changing. Had one about 10 years ago. It was one of the few electrics I've owned where nothing was changed. Sold it off in a fit of guilt. Still regret it.

If you really have to change something, the tuners would be my suggestion.

I changed the tuners to Hipshot locking open back, the nut to PRS USA, the bridge and studs to Jason Schroeder locking, and the tone control to a fender TBX to max out the sound options. It`s fantastic. I agree with boogie about the pickups. I think they`re criminally underrated.

I had one. It was my first P-90 guitar, too. Modded the heck out of it, although it really didn't need much. Definitely one to leave stock for a while and then evaluate if you think it needs anything.

Don't change it! The SE P90s are unique and great pickups, so give them a shot. Just clean it up, set it up, and crank up the amp.

^This. The PRS P90 is a great sounding pickup...give it a fair listen before deciding to axe it!

I still have mine and it's un-modded. They are smoking just as they are. Just play it and you'll know.

Thanks, fellas.

I think I'll keep it simple, and just go with locking tuners and Core nut...and keep everything else as-is for awhile.

Although another Mann Made bridge is chipping away at my inner child.

But I'm not addicted to PRS gear.

I can quit, whenever I want.

2107.jpg

rawk.....

THE SE SOAPBAR II IS A COMPLETE PACKAGE. A F&CKING EXCELLENT GUITAR. You may, of course, personalize yours to your heart's content, but do yourself a favor and rock it plain Jane for about a minute. You might just leave it alone. My SE Soapie was my first ever PRS and I still have it. Enjoy!

I had some fun with my One:
Phase III's
Core Nut
MannMade 2300
RS Guitarworks 280k Superpot
RS Vintage paper in oil cap
Amber lamp shade
Lollar P-90

The Lollar is the only thing I regret. Not because it's bad, but because the original was awesome (and now I have no idea where it got off to)

Have at it!

Well.....I've got some thinking to do. :)

The guitar is super-solid. Some buckle rash and a few dings on it...but oddly enough, I don't mind. For what I paid, it was still a steal of a deal. I'm gonna call it 'character.' This would make for a great travel guitar, on the rare occasion I hit the road for work.

I cleaned it up, oiled the board, slapped some new strings on, adjusted the bridge height a little, and stretched the Erie Ball 10's real well. Thing plays like butter.

Gonna plug it in after the kids are done with their movie, and see what P90 pickups sound like.

So far...it's a winner. I'm second guessing changing anything just yet. Even the nut seems to be cut right, and the tuners feel solid as a rock.

And pics...so there won't be any Daisy Rock accusations.

Beautiful!
For some reason I thought single cut.
Had one like yours some years ago and it was fabulous. Sounded and played great and was super light.
Enjoy!

I have her twin, and incidentally, I've taken mine traveling too. Took it to Beijing China on a two week work trip and played her in the hotel when I couldn't sleep from jet lag. I bought one of those plug amps and a set of head phones. Works great.

Back