SE Soapbar ii identification

werty01

Hi,
I'm new to the world of forums, but I'm hoping for a bit of guidance, please.
I'd post a photo relating to my query, but I haven't got round to sorting the software to enable image upload.
Anyway, I've seen an SE Soapbar ii that's fitted with a scratchplate and has 3 rotary knobs rather just 2 which I understand is the norm.
It has the standard individual finger switch.
I appreciate scratchplates can be fitted aftermarket, but where's the extra rotary knob come from?
Showing my ignorance here, but is it some kind of special model maybe?
Thanks very much.

Thanks. Daft question perhaps, but what's the extra rotary knob likely to be for?
To be honest, I'm thinking of purchasing the guitar, but not sure it's wise.

If it is an original Soapy II, it won't have any scratch plate and therefore will not be able to add a third knob. You would not need it for soapbars anyway as you can't get any splits (they are single coils). So someone has done more mods than just adding a scratch plate. After you post a few more times you will be able to post pics, and that is what we will need to be able to help you more.

Thanks. Daft question perhaps, but what's the extra rotary knob likely to be for?
To be honest, I'm thinking of purchasing the guitar, but not sure it's wise.

Pure speculation but it may be a volume so each pickup has its own volume control. Possibly it may be a tone but it seems a guitar player is more likely to add a second volume than a second tone. But I may think that just because I don't really mess with tone knobs very much.

Thanks all for the advice. Yes, I'll post a few more times so that I can upload some pics.

Anything is possible with a few simple tools and determination. All we can do is speculate, so best to ask the seller what has been done to it.

Hi,
Here's the photo.
What do folks think?
Thanks
By6JU6z.jpg

Thanks.
Much appreciated.
I’m guessing these mods will have made it a better guitar.
I’ll go and give it a try.
I’ve never owned a PRS by the way.
I’m upgrading from a Yamaha Pacifica, and I’d like to make an informed, good decision on which PRS to buy.

Yeah, my guess is they added on more volume pot to blend the pups in the middle position. It's interesting. I could do without the scratch plate, but if it works for you, give it a try. :)

Thanks all for your guidance. This forum's a great resource.
I guess part of me is hoping that buying this guitar may be a bit of a financial investment as well, but I suppose it having been modified negates any chance of that. Asking price is £275 ($350).
The modifications though I expect will enable a better playing experience.

I’m upgrading from a Yamaha Pacifica

I've played a few Pacificas in my day, and I must say, they really seemed to be underrated guitars. That is, they are better than people give them credit for.

Anyway, if you like the look of the guitar, make sure you play it for a bit. Don't hesitate to buy it if you like it!

Looks like what they all said...^^^...probably set up volume for each PU and overall tone. This is a great set up, BTW.
Go for it...and because its "altered", you can probably save a couple bucks. But I would play thru an amp first, to assure everything works.

GREAT Guitars!!!

Thanks all for your guidance. This forum's a great resource.
I guess part of me is hoping that buying this guitar may be a bit of a financial investment as well, but I suppose it having been modified negates any chance of that. Asking price is £275 ($350).
The modifications though I expect will enable a better playing experience.

That is still a reasonable price for a Soapbar SE.

Just a bit of feedback for you good folks who helped me on this.
I went to have a look and a play on the guitar and decided not to buy.
Whilst on the whole it was a good guitar, the additional pot wasn’t yet connected, but mainly for me, the neck felt pretty good but was a bit too wide.
I’ve got small hands and fingers and need a more manageable neck.
Thanks again for the previous advice.

Try them all...you'll find the right fit...PRS offers a few different necks.
And you STILL can't go wrong with P-90's!!!
Good luck in your quest.

Just a bit of feedback for you good folks who helped me on this.
I went to have a look and a play on the guitar and decided not to buy.
Whilst on the whole it was a good guitar, the additional pot wasn’t yet connected, but mainly for me, the neck felt pretty good but was a bit too wide.
I’ve got small hands and fingers and need a more manageable neck.
Thanks again for the previous advice.

If you like PRS, definitely keep looking. There is a good bit of variation in SE wide/fat necks. The SE Soapbar II I owned had the biggest neck of any PRS I've played, yet my SE One neck is halfway between wide/fat and wide/thin.

Back