SE Singlecut and SD 59s...

BMiller

Has anyone tried the Seymour Duncan 59s in an SE Singlecut? The guitar currently has a set of Dragon IIs in it and while I like the pickups, I don't care much for how the guitar and pickups work together (at least compared to the Tremonti set in my SE Tremonti Custom and the VB/Hot Vintage Treble in my '91 CU24). I'm thinking that the 59s might add some body and thickness to the SE Singlecut.

Otherwise, I also have a set of Gibby 490s, a set of VB/HFS, and a pair of SD Black Outs. Due to the thinness of the SE Singlecut, I am looking for something that can beef up the tone and compliment the other two PRSi in my stable (they are the most used guitars of everything I own).

So I figured that before I remove a new set of strings (a week old) and install different pickups, I might as well ask around here and of anyone that has traveled this road with this guitar.

Thanks!

I don't have an SE singlecut....yet(it's next on my list). I would think the '59 would work. I have used the Blackouts in another guitar and loved them. I think some PRS fans think it's sacrilegious to put actives in a PRS.

I guess it might depend on the output you need.

There are wiser minds here than me, just my opinion.

I tried them. I found the sound harsh in the high end. I probaly should have adjusted them some more, but the guitar went bye-bye.

Yes, I had a beautiful Blue SE Singlecut that was wired with SD 59`s, and a push/pull on the tone controls. All the electronics were upgraded. The volume controls were RS masterworks 550K. There was a new 3 way, and output jack as well, adjustable bridge, and locking tuners. Whein I heard a recording of me playing at a club, I was very unhappy with the top end.

I don't have an SE singlecut....yet(it's next on my list). I would think the '59 would work. I have used the Blackouts in another guitar and loved them. I think some PRS fans think it's sacrilegious to put actives in a PRS.

I guess it might depend on the output you need.

There are wiser minds here than me, just my opinion.

Thanks for the info. I'm leaning toward the 59s or the 490s right now. I have the Blackouts in an Agile PRS type guitar and they really do sound good. Very organic and full when compared to EMGs (well, the 81/85 set I have in an Epi LPS).

As soon as the Bears lose I'll fire up the soldering iron and swap them in and see what I think....

I had the 490/498 combo in a Gibson LP and pretty much despised the tone. Overly muddy at one end, overly bright at the other and the worst bits in the middle.

I have recently scored an SE245 and the pickups in that punch way above their weight. I would genuinely put them up against SDs and moth off the shelf pickups. I was ready to change them out but I see no need. I believe they put the 245s in the Bernie, that has to say something.

So much for waiting for a Bears loss today....

Anyways, Richard, I agree with you on the 490/498 combo in an LP as I was never inspired by that combo in that guitar. A pair of 490's in an SG back then was very nice though. I just never cared for the SG neck dive....and I tried.

I had an SE245 which I still think is a great guitar. The stock pickups were very nice, but I swapped them out for the SD 57 set which I liked much more in that situation. I ended up selling that guitar in order to fund the purchase of the '91 CU24. I will probably buy another this year though......

Based on what you like in the other guitars, throw the HFS / VB in there and see how you like it. They aren't too far removed from the USA Tremonti pups.

Based on what you like in the other guitars, throw the HFS / VB in there and see how you like it. They aren't too far removed from the USA Tremonti pups.

Hmmmm.....just got done dropping my boys off at their Dad's and I was all ready to install the 59s but while waiting for the soldering iron to warm up, I thought I'd check in here. So now I have another option to consider....one that requires a bit more surgery (the VB/HFS set are in an old Cort). Hmmmmm....choices....and good ones at that!

I had the 59s in an SE Singlecut. Was my first PRS actually. The neck pickup is great but I found the bridge pickup a little thin. I ended up switching the bridge pup out for an SD Custom Custom which fit my sound much better. Overall, I was very happy with the guitar after that. Just recently got rid of it to go towards my Zach Myers.

I had the 59s in an SE Singlecut. Was my first PRS actually. The neck pickup is great but I found the bridge pickup a little thin. I ended up switching the bridge pup out for an SD Custom Custom which fit my sound much better. Overall, I was very happy with the guitar after that. Just recently got rid of it to go towards my Zach Myers.

Thanks for the info!

I had an emergency situation pop up last night so wasn't able to get around to my projects. Plan on doing it tonight (fingers crossed!)....

I'm going to try the VB/HFS and the 59s and see if I can find a balance.

Back