SE Single Cut Pickup Rings versus Core

n24re

Enjoying the ride...
So looking at my SE Zach Myers I noticed the rear pickup ring is much higher than on my core McCarty. The have nearly the same heigh settings from pickup to string but the pickup ring is much taller. Anyone know why? Could I use core rings on the SE?

Thanks!

Steve

This seems to be a standard thing on every guitar I`ve ever owned. I always yank the stock rings off. I get wooden rings for the guitars I intend to keep. I believe the acoustic properties of Plastic rank right up there with bovine defecation. This is now the official platform for get the plastic off my guitfiddles. Just one more reason to play PRS. The anti plastic manifesto has surfaced. I need a motto...........how about play wood, get wood?

Well, using PRSh's philosophy of "do least harm" with every component, I'd prefer plastic to, say, metal that rings. At least with plastic, the miniscule damage it imparts is diffuse across the frequency spectrum.

In answer to the original question, I have no idea.

I believe the acoustic properties of Plastic rank right up there with bovine defecation.

And yet...the great recordings that many consider the lodestones of what great guitar tone is all about were made with guitars equipped with plastic pickup rings or plastic pick guards.

Go figure, huh?

;)

The SE neck pu ring is about the same as on a core. The bridge ring is taller on SE's. You can use wood rings made for a core on SE's but you will need to raise the pup higher off the ring to get it to the same height as it was at with the SE version. I've done it. It works fine, but it is a noticeable difference. Sounds the same to me.

And yet...the great recordings that many consider the lodestones of what great guitar tone is all about were made with guitars equipped with plastic pickup rings or plastic pick guards.

Go figure, huh?

;)
I know I can be guilty of obsessing about the details. Seems there`s a certain guitar maker who many say the same thing about................

Wait, what? PRS (the company) put plastic rings on their pickups, so they obviously don't feel that it has a negative impact on the sound.

And they do perform scientific analysis when they suspect something has a negative impact on the tones, whereas you are just rationalizing your negative perception of plastic. Have you actually performed tests to determine if your theory is founded?

Nope. This is not a definitive statement that everyone should turn their plastic rings into the recycling center. This is an opinion. I can be wrong, I was on Jan, 15th, 2004. I owned a plastic Maccaferri archtop for many years. It sounded brilliantly mediocre. I do notice a change in the sound when I put wood rings on. YMMV.

The SE neck pu ring is about the same as on a core. The bridge ring is taller on SE's. You can use wood rings made for a core on SE's but you will need to raise the pup higher off the ring to get it to the same height as it was at with the SE version. I've done it. It works fine, but it is a noticeable difference. Sounds the same to me.

I think I will use that new set of maple rings I have on the Zach Myers...and just have a bit more pickup showing!

Also....my goal is 100% appearance....not sound. I personally can't see a ring of wood vs plastic having any impact.

The pickup bobbin is plastic, the lead wires are insulated with plastic, the clear coat is essentially plastic... The pickup rings are a non-issue.

Wait, what? PRS (the company) put plastic rings on their pickups, so they obviously don't feel that it has a negative impact on the sound.

And they do perform scientific analysis when they suspect something has a negative impact on the tones, whereas you are just rationalizing your negative perception of plastic. Have you actually performed tests to determine if your theory is founded?
In Paul We Trust. Well, I do, at least. If plastic is good enough for Paul Smith, it's good enough for me. Totally understand changing for aesthetic purposes though.

Paul really doesn't care for the wood rings. Not sure why. At a meet and greet I brought in his old sales call guitar (2004 Cu22 with a rosewood neck). I had ended up with, and I brought it in for him to sign. He graciously did as he looked at it he said "wood pick up rings huh"? I said "yes, I preferred the look". He just raised an eyebrow in an unapproving way, and then sat down and played it a little. He liked everything but the rings. It's the amber burst in my avatar and you can just see the wood ring in the photo.

So looking at my SE Zach Myers I noticed the rear pickup ring is much higher than on my core McCarty. The have nearly the same heigh settings from pickup to string but the pickup ring is much taller. Anyone know why?
Is it because the core is carved ("belly"), whereas the SE is flat ("plateau")?

Is it because the core is carved ("belly"), whereas the SE is flat ("plateau")?

That is exactly what I thought. Then I measured the arch on my 1 core guitar ( McCarty ) and on the ZM and sure enough they are both flat in the pickup areas. After talking with AP515 at the office this morning I am convinced it is just what the Koreans have on hand and is part of the "import" pickup package that was/is available.

I bet Paul used the same size rings early on because it was one part to inventory and not 2. Either one will work and it is simply an appearance difference.

my 2 cents.

Oh...and just to put it into perspective....here is a picture of the newly covered and rosewood ringed HFS.

28929432111_bca1823157_b.jpg

It is a the raw nickel from Philadelphia Luthier tools. http://www.philadelphialuthiertools...up-cover-non-plated-raw-nickel-silver-49-2mm/

I polished them up with some steel wool and WD-40....then a wash in hot water and dish soap.

Back