Se silver sky.

Not so sure about that. Plenty of us have either the original SS or the SE. I had an original, and currently have an SE, which I like better than the many Strats I have had over the years. Plus, there's 220 pages of SS love....

Not so sure about that. Plenty of us have either the original SS or the SE. I had an original, and currently have an SE, which I like better than the many Strats I have had over the years. Plus, there's 220 pages of SS love....

I currently have American standard Stratocaster. But I’m really intrigued by the silver sky se. Just haven’t been lucky enough to catch one at GC yet, would love to try it, if I liked it I’d probably buy one.

I currently have American standard Stratocaster. But I’m really intrigued by the silver sky se. Just haven’t been lucky enough to catch one at GC yet, would love to try it, if I liked it I’d probably buy one.
but check it against the strat pro 2.. the looks, feel, finish and tone on the pro 2 are a different league to the older American standard.. which is why they keep stealing my money..lol

I'm a reformed Strat guy that's a PRS convert.. I've played many SSSE and it's a great guitar but AB vs a AmPro and you probably walk away with the Strat unless budget is factored in. The SSSE is a great guitar but honestly if you enjoy your AmPro it doesn't make a lot of sense to get a SSSE unless you just want another flavor and a PRS S style guitar.

I’m a humbucker guy primarily, but there’s no denying the draw of a good, classic Strat tone. When the operative word is “classic” tone, the Silver Sky is as good as you’ll find without buying an actual 50s or 60s Fender. Throw in the consideration of modern reliability and playing feel and you’ll understand why the SS is so popular. It gets plenty of love… it just happens to come from a maker who makes a whole bunch of guitars that get equal love.

Last edited:
I have always owned a strat, and mine is a 20 year old Custom Shop beauty. I have played several ss, and se “strats” and unfortunately I’m not a fan. The core ss has a 7.25 radius, which for me, makes it unusable, although it looks and feels like a quality guitar. The se version is actually more playable, but feels and looks like most import strats. my playing style calls for a lot of bending notes, slide playing, and I use the trem…a lot. If the ss had a 10” radius like most other PRS’s, I’d be using it. Ymmv…

Messing around with my SE today. Such a damn good guitar. Honestly it’s right up a strat modders alley too with the routing, unlike the USA brethren which are virtually impossible to pickup swap without permanent modding. I currently have Fralins vintage hots installed. The only things that I doubt could be swapped out are the bridge and output jack since both are proprietary in size, but both work great although I don’t use a trem much on this guitar. Pickguard can be had easily. The electronics are easy to swap. The 8.5” radius is easier for myself to play over the 7.25. I’m glad I kept the SE over the USA counterparts that I previously owned. I think PRS would be wise to broaden the color options for the SE as the original are kind of limited. Maybe if they decide to introduce maple frets…or fingers crossed dealers run for cool finishes :eek:

Last edited:
I have always owned a strat, and mine is a 20 year old Custom Shop beauty. I have played several ss, and se “strats” and unfortunately I’m not a fan. The core ss has a 7.25 radius, which for me, makes it unusable, although it looks and feels like a quality guitar. The se version is actually more playable, but feels and looks like most import strats. my playing style calls for a lot of bending notes, slide playing, and I use the trem…a lot. If the ss had a 10” radius like most other PRS’s, I’d be using it. Ymmv…

I can see why slide would be an issue on the core Silver Sky, but bending and the trem haven't been an issue for me on mine. Another member and I spent a lot of time in the store seeing if we could make big bends on it and never fretted out. The closest thing I've had to an issue because of the radius has actually been my right hand, of all things. When I first make the switch to the Silver Sky, sometimes my muscle memory takes me over the high E string until I adjust my picking.

Would like to play one, curious if I'd like it more than a regular Strat.
this is my 2 cents. I just don’t get along with Fender Strats at all for a number of reasons. The tones I go after are all Humbucker oriented in the modern blues or bluesrock vein. But if I ever do decide to try the Strat type route again it would be for a Silver Sky SE… it’s a great guitar. Hopefully they will someday offer it with an all maple neck. Gotta have that snap……

Back