SE Schizoid mixed reviews????

Yeah, I'm still not sure what Marc means, there is no binding on the fretboard. Is this a visual thing, and can you feel it?

Yeah, I'm still not sure what Marc means, there is no binding on the fretboard. Is this a visual thing, and can you feel it?

I don’t know what the edge of the fretboard is called. The PRS has a lacquer that extends from the neck to the edge. The finish on the edge is not good at all.

There are streaks of that lacquer. Like superglue right on the fretboard. Eventually this edge turns white like all transparent lacquers and glues do if you roughed up.

I could take a pic but what is the point, PRS does not seem to care about Indonesian SE fit and finish.

Some guitars may be worse than others. No you can’t feel it. But it is visible.

Playability is good.

These guitars are impossible to find except through eBay right now. Most major dealers don’t have them. You can see more pictures there.

Again, I only bought it because it is a limited edition. That’s it’s value for Crimson fans. Not because the guitar is pretty (it isn’t in both design and finish).

....I could take a pic but what is the point, PRS does not seem to care about Indonesian SE fit and finish.....No you can’t feel it. But it is visible...

The point is to show what you are referring to, so we can see it. I’m sure PRS does care, and did you buy the guitar? If you bought it and don’t like it, return it. Looks like the pic is in the store. If it can’t be felt, it’s ok with me, and the pic that you posted looks good, I see no problem, hence asking for more pics.

The point is to show what you are referring to, so we can see it. I’m sure PRS does care, and did you buy the guitar? If you bought it and don’t like it, return it. Looks like the pic is in the store. If it can’t be felt, it’s ok with me, and the pic that you posted looks good, I see no problem, hence asking for more pics.

I am not returning it, it is a 1000 limited run series. It’s good enough, but I won’t buy an SE anymore with these finish issues.

All Crimson SEs are like this from what I’ve seen. Both dealer photos and the video review. So no point in returning them.

I’ll post some pics later.

Here is what I am talking about, the shiny streaks are not liquid, it is hard glue.

ckoa3jA.jpg

wlOjcih.jpg

MWVnoJl.jpg

P8c2AgJ.jpg

ZeNqTSb.jpg

Thank you, now it is clear what you meant, the finish on the fretboard and fret ends. Yeah, that doesn’t look good, and I can also see the reddish areas at the fret ends (glue?), which isn’t appealing either. This looks similar to the video review of this model posted earlier, a real shame. In this instance, I would definitely say that QC seems to be lacking for these models. You say they all are like this? :(

Although you shouldn’t have to, this could be cleaned up a bit to have a better look. Some careful scraping and sanding. I’m glad to hear that it is playable, at least. Sorry for you man. :oops:

Thank you, now it is clear what you meant, the finish on the fretboard and fret ends. Yeah, that doesn’t look good, and I can also see the reddish areas at the fret ends (glue?), which isn’t appealing either. This looks similar to the video review of this model posted earlier, a real shame. In this instance, I would definitely say that QC seems to be lacking for these models. You say they all are like this? :(

Well, since there so few of them, from what I've seen on my eBay dealer's pictures (C&M Music), and from the video, I have to assume they are all like this.

Mine came with an official PRS label saying date of Inspection 03.05.19. So this passed their QC, so I guess this is ok with PRS for an SE guitar and it makes no sense to bother them about it since this is their new standard of quality (at least for this model).

Again, I would not buy an Indonesian SE without inspecting it. I don't think a 800 dollar Strat or Ibanez has mistakes that are so bad. Is it this specific model that somehow has a problem? Not sure.

Musician's Friend, SamAsh won't have stock for months. SamAsh last I've heard doesn't even have a date and they were fighting with PRS over email over this specific model, that is why I cancelled my order there and ordered on eBay.

If you want one, the only way to be sure is to inspect in person if you can find it in stock in your area.

Is this fixable after-market? I don't know, this isn't a bolt-on neck, so refinishing it may be hard. Perhaps with time and wear the glue stains will disappear.

For comparison for the price:

Here is a Yamaha that cost $200 as a starter kit with an amp in 2003. It has years of wear and has fret sprout from the wood shrinking now (it can be fixed). But the finish is better than an $800 PRS Se

UhcprHN.jpg

Here is a Ibanez S Series Prestige 2014 (which is their top of the line, except for j.custom). These go from $1200 (used) to $2000 (new)

FH9BOlI.jpg

pxSh4e4.jpg

You think a $800 SE would be somewhere in between that.

Hello from Brooklyn, NY.

I put my order in for the new Schizoid SE & I am feeling a bit anxious after reading some mixed reviews. Correct me if I m wrong, but it seems like the USA is still waiting for its street release while the rest of the world have received them already. Poor workmanship is the the biggest issue. Yes it is $779, but still it should be a good quality axe coming from a company like PRS. I hope mine will not have the issues I have read about. Please, if you own one already can you please contribute your 2 cents here. Thank you very much in advance.

If it's as good as last year's Foil I wouldn't buy it. My 2007 SE single cut is a much better guitar. And it came with a nicer gig bag. :) I'm waiting for a desperate collector to go looking for one and he can buy mine.

This is exactly why I’m keeping my Korean Custom 22 semi hollow rather than getting an Indonesian Paul’s guitar. QC is shoddy. Btw, wouldn’t you expect a Schizoid guitar to have mixed reviews?o_O:)

The Indonesian Paul's guitar is sublime. I also had a SE Cu 22, and the SE Paul's is the better instrument. I wasn't deterred by literally a couple of bad reviews. ;)

There’s more than a couple bad reviews outside of this forum. I haven’t read or seen much bad about the 2017 and newer World Music guitars. And I’m not just talking about PRS but all of the brands that they make. I’m sure PRS is scrambling a bit to get the cheaper workforce in Indonesia up to snuff, and they will. It’ll just take some time. Until then I will stick with the known. The only thing you can definitively say is that your Paul’s is better than your CU22. ;) And we all know the honeymoon period with a new guitar can sway a guitarist’s opinion. I’m glad you got a good one:) But c’mon man, look at that board and those fret ends! Any argument that doesn’t recognize facts is invalid.

Last edited:
Fact is there are still only a couple of bad reviews. If you have any links to other reviews, you should post them. Otherwise, conjecture and imagination doesn't really contribute any facts at all. ;)

Even the title of this thread is misleading, the OP later admitting that there was in fact only one review that could be shown. Now if several people reference that one review, that doesn't count as several different reviews, right? ;)

Cor -Tek closed their factory in Korea and moved it to Indonesia for a reason. PRS moved production of the SE Standards to Indonesia for a reason. PRS Customs are still made in Korea for a reason. The Paul’s Guitar should’ve been made with the other higher end SE’s in Korea but instead was made in Indonesia with the lower line SE’s, you guessed it, for a reason. How do you think they could put that American tailpiece on your guitar? They didn’t do it as a favor to you. What you may not realize is QC issues is a cost of doing business in manufacturing. I’m sure PRS was already aware that there was going to be a higher instance of QC issues but the accountants showed them that they would still make more despite those issues. It’s an import anyway so even though his name is on it most reasonable people won’t directly blame the company or man for shoddy workmanship as long as the American plant keeps pumping out the gold standard. That’s business!

Now, I’m done with this conversation.

Sorry dude, but the SE Customs are also made in Indonesia at Cor-Tek, and are fantastic. My Spalted Maple SE Cu 24 is killer, the SE Paul's is killer also.

I am amazed that you are privy to the actual internal business dealings at PRS, and have such insight as to how PRS should do things, kudos to you. :)

BTW, any links to reviews? There are several SE Paul's reviews on YouTube, all that I have seen are glowing. :cool:

The fretwork on my 2019 CU22 SE looks even better than that Ibby. Unbelievable how bad that Schizoid is.

Sorry dude, you’re wrong. My 2019 clearly states where it’s made. And I’m not privy to PRS but manufacturing as a whole. I’ve been in manufacturing for 30 years, many different products, and it doesn’t matter what you’re making, it’s all the same from a corporate standpoint. Just enjoy your guitar and shut up about it. This wasn’t even about you in the first place. I was responding to the OP. Make your own thread so you can have your own delusional conversation without bothering others.

Hostility is creeping in. This more money that you claim to know about, were you aware that Korea passed a law about 2 years ago raising the minimum wage nationally? Sometimes you can’t afford to manufacture for cost reasons, not profitability. But, of course, you knew that. The problem on OP’s guitar wasn’t the frets, it was sloppy gluing. But, of course, you knew that. PRS has been looking to hire more SE QC inspectors for the late shift. But, of course, you knew that as well. I wouldn’t accept the guitar in question. I would have it sent to Maryland and have the fretboard cleaned. It can be fixed, you know. I’ve spent 50 years in the Optical manufacturing and retail business, and I strongly disagree with your stance. Even though I taught for 20 years as well, I don’t know everything and won’t pontificate as though I do. I also won’t buy an Indonesian guitar unless I can inspect it carefully first.

Last edited:
Yes, in fact, I did know those things, other than PRS looking for more QC help. And the OP may not have identified the fret ends as an issue but they clearly are an issue. Look at the photos. Your comment about not buying an Indonesian guitar without being able to carefully inspect it first only proves the point I initially made. Indonesian quality control is shoddy, PERIOD. Which is not to say a good guitar can't come out of Cor-Tek. They make approximately 700,000 guitars and 300,000 amps annually there. You may not pontificate but you sure do bloviate. But, of course, you knew that already. Oh, and it ALL tracks back to profitability.

Back