SE Santana locking tuners

TonyG

Just finished upgrading my SE Santana to locking Gotoh SG381-01 MG T tuners. I’ve had no real tuning problems since I installed a Graphtech nut, but for additional stability and ease of changing strings, this was a cheap, quick and easy drop in upgrade. Less than 30min and they were in. From the front they look exactly the same as the stock tuners. Post holes sit a little lower, but because you don’t have to wrap the strings, this doesn't alter the break angle much (if at all). Works a treat, highly recommended.

I think the locking tuners are used more for quick string changes these day. Looks good.
Agreed. Although I’m sure that locking tuners must provide more stable tuning than non locking no matter how good the setup

Have these on my custom built Tele. Work really great!
They were staggered as well (for 6 inline F type headstock), so no real need for string trees.

Those are great indeed!

The ones I don’t recommend are the older models w/o the thumbscrew: tuning stability seems to take forever to settle (if ever), and they are cumbersome to lock/unlock.

Those are great indeed!

The ones I don’t recommend are the older models w/o the thumbscrew: tuning stability seems to take forever to settle (if ever), and they are cumbersome to lock/unlock.
There was a set of gotohs installed on my McCarty when I brought it so I knew they worked well. I was surprised how easy they were to put in. I’m quite capable of properly cocking up even the simplest diy like this :p:)

Back