SE Santana info needed please

Pacemaker1000

I want to buy one of these new but am confused over spec and model years

Managed to try short scale model today costing £679 in yellow and loved it but bit too expensive for my skill level
I have seen a red one for £479 with the same cream and black pickups and also has cream piping.
Then there are some costing £399 without piping and all black pickups?
Is the dearer one the same apart from custom body and finish?
I’m assuming the red ones are different model years?
Webpage doesn’t even show the one I tried today only one with a longer scale
What’s the differences as it’s very confusing to me

Thanks

There have been several SE Santana models over the years, but for the sake of brevity, you're probably looking at the more recent ones, of which there are the "Standard" and, erm, regular model. Which doesn't make sense to call one standard and one regular. But, what I mean is, the more affordable one is probably part of the "Standard" line of SE's, which have all mahogany bodies. The other model, if it has a maple top, is the "regular" SE Santana (I say regular because they were the only ones offered until PRS came out with the SE Standard line of all mahogany guitars).

I believe the maple top model also now has 24 frets and the Santana specific control layout, whereas the Standard has the more traditional control layout. There was also a maple top model with 24.5" scale, 22 pickups, and traditional PRS control layout prior to 2017, IIRC. See, I told you there were a lot of them!

Edit: If you had a longer 25" scale model, as I just noticed in your post, that could have been one of the originals, it would have diagonal line inlays. Again, there have been many!

Thanks,
No they are all 22 fret and I think you’re right the one I tried today had a Maple top which at £200 extra seems a big premium. Maybe old stock as web now only shows this in 24 fret guise
Also tried a silver basic model without tremolo which I didn’t like the feel or sound of.
I am hoping the 2018 model with the dual colour pickups and piping at £475 is the same as the Maple top in neck /pickups/feel and if so will order one

The ones with black pickups, no binding, and 22 frets are the previous Standard version.

The new for 2018 Standard has the zebra pickups and binding.

Then there is the regular one like Andy said, which is more expensive due to the maple top with flame veneer. It has 24 frets and as mentioned the controls are pushed back. It's closer to Carlos' actual guitars.

Also, the regular version is made in Korea and the Standard is made in Indonesia.

They all have the same 24.5" scale length, but the 24 fret model is the longer guitar.

Thanks
The 'regular' one I liked definitely only had 22 frets and controls in same layout as cheaper model?
For the difference in price I think I would go with the 2018 model which to me looks the same as the Maple top I tried.
Was hoping they were the same minus the Maple as the silver cheap one I tried was nowhere as good
Will post a link next to one I liked

Just noticed the one I liked doesn’t have the new headstock sig so is an old model. Question is what is it and will the standard 2018 feel the same?
Plus made in same factory?

The yellow one you linked is the previous regular model, up through 2016 I think.

The Standards are all made in the same factory. The '18 is just a little more flashy with the new logo, binding, and zebra pickups.

Ok two things
The 2018 has newer pickups so a assume they’re better? Plus the nicer design makes it worth the extra £79 in my book.
However as pointed it is made in another factory to the yellow one i liked so much.
I did not like the old basic standard I tried in comparison but was hoping the new Santana version would be more like the, what you guys are calling the 'regular', yellow model.
Unfortunately I can’t try it out
Can’t find anything on the 'regular' models but would I be correct in thinking they have been replaced by the 'Custom' range?
Being the new more expensive Santana version is now 24 fret then as far as new is concerned this would be the nearest model? But would it be better than the new Cheaper Santana?
http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/electrics/se/se_custom_22_2018

Here's the current SE Santana: http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/electrics/se/se_santana_2018. It is a complement to the SE Custom range.

"Better" is such a subjective term, but I do like the cosmetics on the new SE Santana Standard. I would probably prefer the Santana "S" pickups as well. You'd get most of the vibe of the SE Santana for less money. It comes down to what your priorities are and what you prefer as far as looks and feel.

^^^^^^
But that’s now 24 fret!
So the one I like is no longer available in 22 fret and only choice is the cheaper standard Santana or non Santana custom SE

So, down to 2018 standard 22 fret Santana or 2016 Maple top? Former £200 cheaper
Anyone tried the 2018 or better still a comparison?
Thanks

Back