SE/S2 and US tremolo compatibility, let's sort this one out

justmund

Plank Spanker
OK so there's been a bit of talk about the SE trem no longer being compatible with the US trem (that is, you can no longer put a US trem in a SE, and therefore S2).

Let's work out when the change happened! What we need is someone with a SE from 2011, 2012 and 2013 to accurately measure the distance, centre to centre, of the 2 outside screws, of the 6 trem screws.

Best way would be with a set of vernier calipers, but an eyeball with an accurate ruler may suffice.

The more measurements the merrier, post your year, serial number and measurement please...

I'll update this original post as we get measurements.

Go! :)

So you mean many will buy a S2 custom and replace the tremolo?Are the Korean tremolos that bad?

So you mean many will buy a S2 custom and replace the tremolo?Are the Korean tremolos that bad?
That depends on if the 2013 SE trem is different or not. If not, I dare say there will be quite a few people that will change their trem.

Are they bad? Well they're the exact same design but the materials are different, and in my opinion, the quality is not as high. The trem block is steel as you know (so you may actually like them :)), the casting on the top plate is not as nice, and the plating on the saddles doesn't look as nice to me either.

I would say with lower quality materials, a SE trem would also not be as good functionally (i.e. stability) and perhaps the knife edge won't last as long. If you screw the trem down like you, then none of this will bother you of course!

Ok,very interesting.Hopefully PRS can sort us out here.I also started thinking the same thing you brought up in this thread

From a February 2013 PTC quote I received re a 2012 SE Custom 24. Response was from Mr. Nuthall:

Install user-supplied MannMade 2000NOS PRS Vibrato Bridge (will ship w guitar)= Not a direct replacement for SE models. We will need to fill the existing holes and redrill new holes. The holes are very similarly placed, but not exact enough to allow the tremolo to perform properly. All work will be hidden under bridge.

I thought that he MannMade was a drop-in for the Maryland trem, but not sure if the above applies only to the MM and not the PRS one.

FWIW I thought a lot about this because the saddles on the SE trem seem kinda light, thought maybe something beefier would help w sustain, tone, etc...

Last edited:
I always thought it was strange that the metric measured SE bridges would be an exact match with the US/English measured USA bridges. I wonder if the PTC is just being extremely exact by redrilling new holes, and it's actually close enough for rock an roll if you do it yourself?

I'm looking to replace the trem on my SE custom 22. What US made trem would fit?

Get a Mann Made trem. They are great, and if you call the shop they will help you with fit. They have one designed specifically for SEs. I’ve installed two and it was cake.
Cool thanks! My main issue with the SE trem is that the saddle for th low E is Already bottomed out despite the action being above factory specs. I hope I won't have that issue with a good trem.

Cool thanks! My main issue with the SE trem is that the saddle for th low E is Already bottomed out despite the action being above factory specs. I hope I won't have that issue with a good trem.

If you can’t get the saddles low enough, I would first check a) your neck relief and b) the height of the bridge plate off the body. My guess is the mounting screws are set too high and the whole unit is sitting too far above the body.

Back