SE questions, build quality, tuning stability etc...

Stm113

Hello everyone. I’m looking to make my PRS dreams come true, my guitar budget isn’t what it used to be and since I’ll need to get 2 of them the SE series may have to be where I may have to set my sights. So I have 2 questions (maybe 3).

1- What’s the quality of those guitars these days? I bought a Santana model back in ‘01 that was really not good at all, are the SE ones better these days?

2-Of the two that I would be buying one would be tuned a step and a 1/2 down to drop B but would need to go up 1/2 step to Drop C on occasion and the other would be tuned primarily 1/2 step down but would regularly need to take it up to standard. I do this with my Gibby LP’s with out issue, does anyone here think that the SE PRS models would hang with this the same? Another concern is that it looks like most of the SE models have trems (I’d prefer hard tail) so my concern is how much grief will the tuning changes give me?

Thank you all for any help anyone can offer.

Welcome Stm,

1 - I think you can expect the quality of the new SE's to be better than the Gen 1 offering. They have come a long way in 17 years.

2 - I would not attempt the kinds of tuning changes you are describing on a trem. I would find a stoptail version. The 245 singlecuts are still stoptails. If you want doublecuts you can find NOS 2017 versions or find them used. As a last idea, if you are willing to look in the used market you can step up to S2's and get them for about the price of a new SE.

Thank you for the info and for the welcome, I’ll start keeping an eye out!

Have you considered the SE Holcomb for the drop-tuned guitar? It ships in Drop C tuning and has no trem, so it should handle tuning back and forth between those tunings better than others.

+1 to the Holcomb for drop tunings. The maple neck SE's are a little bright in standard tuning, but it translates really well in lower tunings. I have an SE Custom 24 that's an absolute killer in drop C, but the trem may not B for you if you're switching tunings often (see what I did there?).

As for a second guitar, I can't recommend enough the Standard Satin S2's. A more balanced tone in standard tuning, highly resonant with that thin nitro finish. And you can usually find them used for the price of a new SE, or even get a great deal on a new one. I play a Satin Standard 22 and it's one of my favorite guitars, don't miss the maple top bling a bit.

Over 25 years, I have been blessed with about a dozen PRSes, including three SEs ('11 Santana, '16 Zac Myers [with SD Antiquities], and a '16 CU22 Semi-hollow). And I constantly cannot get over how *great* the SEs are—both tonally and playing-wise—not just in "SE" terms, but as compared with any really nice guitar—including my really nice Core PRSes. IMHO, these SEs are *definitely* not "starter guitars" in the slightest. And I could absolutely gig all night long with my three SEs.

In truth, though, I have had the same exact problem with defective 3-way toggles on two of the three SEs (volume dropping out on neck PU each time). Easily repaired with upgrades, but never the slightest problem otherwise. So, in my experience, that's pretty much the only thing I'd be careful of, just as long as you find one you really bond with first.

Really, though... IMO, the entire PRS line, from top to bottom, is simply sterling. (Of course, IMHO and YMMV, but still... ) Hope this helps!

so I just bought this prs se Santana. plays and sounds awesome but noticed the headstock looks twisted. idk if its me or what. what do you think

I got an SE Dave Navarro a couple years back. I blocked the trem and used it for a couple different tunings on the fly. I thought it was a really nice guitar. I gigged with out for a while. The only reason I sold it was I hated the location of the pickup selector.

I would go with a thicker neck profile though for the kind of tuning change you've described.

Back