SE Pickups Suggestions

squirrel211

I have an old flat-top 25th Anny SE that was my first foray into the PRS world. (see below pic, it's the blue one on the left) It's played its fair share of shows, and now has issues with the wiring; the volume pot is scratchy, the selector switch is scratchy and if not used gently sometimes doesn't allow the neck pickup to make sound, the input jack is slightly intermittent, and believe it or not the wax potting (I'm guessing) has melted out of the bridge pickup a little bit.

I need to replace these components to either sell the guitar, or ever use it again live.

Any suggestions for PRS replacement pickups? I'm unfamiliar with anything but the 57/08's that are in my CU24.

I'm looking to have something very different than the Core CU24. I was looking at possibly the Tremonti Bridge (and have a pull tap/split tone control for it) and then something drastically different in the neck. Some initial thoughts are Fralin Unbucker, Lollar Imperial Low Wind, Lollar Hum-Sized Single, etc... I want something VERY low gain, unbalanced, and single coil/P90 sounding; whether it's through being split or not.

I'm looking to have something very different than the Core CU24. I was looking at possibly the Tremonti Bridge (and have a pull tap/split tone control for it) and then something drastically different in the neck. Some initial thoughts are Fralin Unbucker, Lollar Imperial Low Wind, Lollar Hum-Sized Single, etc... I want something VERY low gain, unbalanced, and single coil/P90 sounding; whether it's through being split or not.

What about putting an HB-sized P90 in the neck?

nice gear and beautiful guitars!!! love the blue on the strat!!!

I agree with your choice on the bridge, for the neck, how about some serious versatility. Seymour Duncan P-rail. Add a mini toggle to get single coil, p90 and humbucker. with this setup you would have a very full range guitar. otherwise i say get a humbucker sized p90. I have always loved the p90 neck and humbucker bridge combo. one of the main reasons i have not let my gibson lp go.

nice gear and beautiful guitars!!! love the blue on the strat!!!

I agree with your choice on the bridge, for the neck, how about some serious versatility. Seymour Duncan P-rail. Add a mini toggle to get single coil, p90 and humbucker. with this setup you would have a very full range guitar. otherwise i say get a humbucker sized p90. I have always loved the p90 neck and humbucker bridge combo. one of the main reasons i have not let my gibson lp go.

Thanks! My mom's husband made that for me from parts, way back in 2003. It is one of those "magic" guitars; weighs 7 lbs, rings like a bell, the Lollar Blondes in it sound freaking phenomenal for a large variety of tones (not just cleans!). I played it so much of the last 12 years that the frets are beyond repair; I need to either get it refretted or a new neck.

Both of you guys mentioned the P90 in HUm-size; that's exactly what I was talking about! I may have to explore that.

I would go with the Fralin Unbucker in the bridge and a Fralin P-92 in the neck. Swap out all the electronics while you're at it. It might give your Core CU24 a run for its money. OK, probably not, but it will be a very good backup guitar.

I love a single coil in the neck! Have done it to a few of my PRS. I've got a P-Rail and it's okay, and I have a double lipstick pup (from GFS) that is uninspiring... There's something about the split hum buckers that don't sound the same to me as a plain old single coil. Maybe it's the interaction of the other magnet or something that doesn't sound "right"?

They look a little wonky, but I have two PRS with those hum-to-single adapter rings and those have given me exactly what I want by being able to slap a plain old single coil in there. If you're looking for a great distorted lead tone from the neck, I highly recommend a Lace Silver.

Back