SE pickup swap

auriemma

Still Strummin!
Would you swap out a set of SE stock pups for an older HFS/Bass set? Or a Gibson 498T/490R set?

There are sets on my local CL for $100... is either worth it?

Last edited:
That is a good price for that set of pickups. The HFS will be much more aggressive sounding than the stock SE pickup if that's what you're going for. I've never played a VB pickup, can't comment on that, but you could always run the stock SE pickup in the neck if you wanted.

I swapped out the stock SE pickups from my Tremonti SE for a set of signature Tremonti pickups. Holy cow what a HUGE difference that made, my SE doesn't sound like my Tremonti signature because of the different wood used in the construction, but still awesome. Do it, you won't regret it!

All of a sudden I have the itch to call my dealer to find out how much for them to buy and install the US Tremonti pups in my 2012 SE Tremonti Custom.

OK... I have a deal in the works finally.

2-3 more questions...

1. What kind of tonal sound difference can I expect swapping my SE pups for a HFS/VB set?

2. Which would you put them in?
A. SingleCut SE
B. Tremonti SE
C. CE22 (is it crazy to replace the Dragon IIs)

2-3 more questions...

1. What kind of tonal sound difference can I expect swapping my SE pups for a HFS/VB set?

A. SingleCut SE
B. Tremonti SE

A or B
I did that very thing in an ESP LTD guitar with great results. The SE pickups don't suck, but they don't compare to the originals.

2-3 more questions...

A. SingleCut SE
B. Tremonti SE
1. More aggressive, hotter output, stronger mid range focus/cut through the mix instead of nasally.

2. A or B have the same pickups most likely, so which ever one you want to be the more aggressive sounding guitar. C would be fine as well, then move the D2s to one of the SEs.

Back