SE Pauls Guitar - High Action **LATER**

Think about a used core. Because they are not cheap, people tend to take better care of them. Plus you can sometimes find PRS that are unique.
Well I have to mention I am also a frugal bas———d, so there’s that as well.

I've never found a SE yet or virtually any other guitar that I've owned that hasen't benefitted from at least a little spot levelling, I must admit though that I play with a insanely low action and virtually straight necks (I grew up playing scallopted fingerboards i.e Blackmore, Malmsteen and tradional medival styled stringed instruments) as a result I have a super light touch so can play with a much lower action without buzzes or fretting out on bends.

My height @12 fret and neck relief & string gauge

2001 Core standard 22 = 1mm (treble side) 1.25mm (Bass Side) .004 relief, 9-42 strings
2001 McCarty = 1mm (treble side) 1.25mm (Bass Side) .004 relief, 9-42 strings
2006 CE-24 = 1mm (treble side) 1.25mm (Bass Side) .004 relief, 9-42 strings
2015 McCarty = 1mm (treble side) 1.25mm (Bass Side) .004 relief, 10-46 strings
SE Bernie Marsden = 1mm (treble side) 1.25mm (Bass Side) .004 relief, 10-46 strings
SE Bernie Marsden “McCarty” 1mm (treble side) 1.25mm (Bass Side) .004 relief, 10-46 strings
SE Chris Robertson = 1mm (treble side) 1.25mm (Bass Side) .004 relief, 9-42 strings
SE Nick Catanese = 3/4mm (treble side) 1mm (Bass Side) .003 relief, 10-46 strings
SE Santana/Customm 22 "hybrid" = 1mm (treble side) 1.25mm (Bass Side) .004 relief, 9-42 strings
I am going to send you my guitars to get set up .

I wanted to follow up and see what you guys are getting for string action ?
I finally have mine at 5/32nd low e and 4/32 high e. Relief is at .010.
Might like it just little lower but then the buzz shows itself!

I wanted to follow up and see what you guys are getting for string action ?
I finally have mine at 5/32nd low e and 4/32 high e. Relief is at .010.
Might like it just little lower but then the buzz shows itself!
Uhh....you mean 5/64 and 4/64, right? 5/32 action is nightmarish, at least to my fingers. Lol

On my PG, she is set at .007 relief and just over 2/64" treble at 12th, and 3/64" bass at 12th, no buzzing. This one was setup remarkably well from the factory, and I've really only tweaked their initial setup parameters. The only major changes I've done, besides upgrades/cosmetic things, I did a full fret level and dressing. That was the barrier to getting that low, but to be honest...I think it got me maybe 1.5/64" lower action. It didn't really need the fret job, I was slap happy already.

MVHlbef.jpg

Uhh....you mean 5/64 and 4/64, right? 5/32 action is nightmarish, at least to my fingers. Lol

On my PG, she is set at .007 relief and just over 2/64" treble at 12th, and 3/64" bass at 12th, no buzzing. This one was setup remarkably well from the factory, and I've really only tweaked their initial setup parameters. The only major changes I've done, besides upgrades/cosmetic things, I did a full fret level and dressing. That was the barrier to getting that low, but to be honest...I think it got me maybe 1.5/64" lower action. It didn't really need the fret job, I was slap happy already.

MVHlbef.jpg
So it’s now at 5/64 base and 4/64 treble at 12th. Relief is at .010.

I’d like to get the action lower, say 3-4 / 64 bass and 3/64 treble .

But there is now no more adjustment left in the saddle? Both sides are bottomed out.

Can you suggest the best way to achieve this?
Thanks!

So it’s now at 5/64 base and 4/64 treble at 12th. Relief is at .010.

I’d like to get the action lower, say 3-4 / 64 bass and 3/64 treble .

But there is now no more adjustment left in the saddle? Both sides are bottomed out.

Can you suggest the best way to achieve this?
Thanks!

So, you have the bridge totally bottomed out and you have those specs....if that's the case, we are kinda in donezo territory. The vast majority of the time, you will never bottom out a stoptail bridge. If the neck angle is proper, you would have the strings literally resting on the frets at that point. However, if the neck angle was off, then you may run into a situation where you can bottom it out and still have some kind of action. With a set neck guitar, there is nothing you can do. Changing the nut only helps a nominal amount and don't recommend for the purpose of lowering action. Decreasing the relief can help a small amount, but its not much.

If you can post pictures that would help to further diagnose what's going on, but again...if the bridge is screwed all they way to the body and it still has string clearance, that's pretty much as far as you can go.

I would measure the height of your frets to see what they're at. Maybe what you need is taller frets. You can gain .010" in height or more depending on what your fret height currently is. Other than changing frets I don't see any other way for you to get a bit more saddle adjustment, particularly since you have a set neck. It's not something you probably want to do but it might be your only option.

Thanks, appreciate the replies...I'm still playing it and enjoying it...I'll see how it feels after some time...

Back