SE or S2 C24

Jaysop

Hello all,

Looking to add a guitar. I'm really wanting to get an American PRS. I've pretty much settled on the S2 C24s. From what I'm seeing on YouTube I really like the flexibility that the toggle switches for the 35th anniversary addition adds.
But that specific model isn't set in stone for me.

Looking around at C24s I keep finding beautiful SE models and some pretty mundane Looking S2s. I'm talking about the top veneer and grain and not necessarily condition.

I can stomach the cost of the S2s but would I really be selling myself short by getting a SE that looks better?

For what it's worth I already have a SE245, it's great, just looking to add some more flexibility as I'm learning.

Thanks

This question comes up a lot.. You wouldn't be selling yourself short and there is no wrong choice. Get the guitar that speaks to you and is within budget. Only you can answer that and everything else is opinions and noise, often the same. lol

Only thing I'll say on the matter is if you really want an American PRS, the choice is already made.

Good luck on the hunt!

American made is definitely the hang up.

Unfortunately not being able to see these things in person is hard. It's hard to know what guitar is inspiring from pictures.

Personally I wouldn’t bother with the S2. You just aren’t gaining anything over the SE (except a smaller bank balance).

By the sounds of it, the idea you’re buying into is that they’re made better (approximately twice as good, if double the price is any indication) and that is simply not true. Both guitars use the same hardware and electronics too.

If I was in your shoes I might look at getting a low mileage used core C24, which is an American made instrument with mostly American components, and is, in my experience, a noticeably better instrument.

If, however, you think you would be happy buying what is basically an American SE and paying twice as much for it then doubtless you won’t be disappointed. It’s not like S2s are bad guitars, far from it. Ultimately, how a guitar makes you feel really is one of the most important things, and dare I say more important than the cost?

I've owned Cores, S2s, and SEs. I land on the S2 side of the equation - I feel like they're a real sweet spot in the PRS lineup. Yes, if it's a trem model, you're getting the same trem, and the same pickups, as the SE. S2 gives you locking tuners, an actual solid top that's not a veneer, US nut, US wood, and US fretwork. In my experience, while the hardware is similar and the electronics are similar, the bones of the S2 make for a better guitar. The veneer on the SE may be prettier from a distance, but it lacks the depth of the fully solid top on the S2. Twice as good? Nope, there's always a diminishing return as one goes up in price, it's never linear in any guitar brand. The SEs are very good guitars indeed. However, in my experience of the ones I've played, I'll take the S2 every time.

Good points made for the pros and cons.
I guess in reality someone with my limited experience can't really get full advantage out of what the guitar can do. But I figured as is true with many other things, I'm assuming the quality control on the American made S2 to be higher.
Not to say my current SE isn't quality, but I can see that some things definitely made it out that shouldn't have. Pitted frets, stripped nut under the tone knob, inconsistent tuners.
Nothing terrible but I'm just hoping/thinking a US made guitar would be less likely to have those factory issues.

I've owned Cores, S2s, and SEs. I land on the S2 side of the equation - I feel like they're a real sweet spot in the PRS lineup. Yes, if it's a trem model, you're getting the same trem, and the same pickups, as the SE. S2 gives you locking tuners, an actual solid top that's not a veneer, US nut, US wood, and US fretwork. In my experience, while the hardware is similar and the electronics are similar, the bones of the S2 make for a better guitar. The veneer on the SE may be prettier from a distance, but it lacks the depth of the fully solid top on the S2. Twice as good? Nope, there's always a diminishing return as one goes up in price, it's never linear in any guitar brand. The SEs are very good guitars indeed. However, in my experience of the ones I've played, I'll take the S2 every time.
For me as well. IMHO, with the S2 line, you’re getting better woods from here in America..

I don’t own a ton of PRS, but I do own a 98 CE24, which most say is built per core specs, an S2 and owned quite a few SE’s, but have settled on one SE for now. You can tell my CE is built a bit better, but my SE after some work, plays just as well. It’s actually easier to play for some reason. But I play my S2 the most.

I seem to prefer 22 frets more, so I am on the hunt for an S2 Custom 22 to see if I really need my CE. Which again is supposed to be the higher end guitar. S2’s I believe are a step up from the SE’s, but don’t discount the latter.

For me as well. IMHO, with the S2 line, you’re getting better woods from here in America..

I agree. It seems like some people equate same hardware with same guitar. For me, as the hardware and electronics are easily replaceable, they're not the essence of the guitar - the wood is. I'll take the better wood, and the higher attention to detail, any day. That said, I've left the electronics and pickups in my Vela bone stock. The pickups were replaced in my S2 Custom 22, but that was done before I bought it. I have the originals, but I like what's in there...I may have liked the originals as well, not sure since I didn't try them. Either way, the S2 line are great guitars and they hit the sweet spot for me.

Don't they have different necks also? S2 Custom 24 has pattern regular and the SE wide thin.

Good point, I forgot about that part. That is more a matter of preference than quality, but it does need to be considered.

From what I'm reading, the neck is also more similar to SE profile too.

In getting a lot of different options on what the bolt on neck does to affect tone though.

Yes, the Ce24 and se Cu24 have the same neck profile, wide thin.

Realistically, should I throw a CE24 into consideration?

It's definitely worth considering - raises the budget a bit, but can be worthwhile. No veneer, US electronics and pickups. If you like the Pattern Thin neck you should definitely consider it :).

‘Better’ woods? WTF makes wood ‘better’ if it comes from a different place? Comedy.

‘Better’ woods? WTF makes wood ‘better’ if it comes from a different place? Comedy.

Fewer pieces in the body, 2-piece solid figured top with no veneer. That makes for better woods. Mahogany neck on the S2 vs maple on the SE Customs of the last couple years - arguably a matter of taste, but I prefer mahogany on a set neck. I see plenty of SEs with at least 3-piece backs. I don't see that on S2s. SEs are good guitars, but in my experience the S2s are better built with better components - as I mentioned above, the shared hardware is negligible as that's easily replaced. The structure of the instrument is what matters, and the S2s are built better.

IMHO look for a good "used" or Mint CE24. You should be able to find on right around or just under the price you would pay for a new S2 CU24.
The difference is quality is night and day. You will get USA Pickups and Electronics, the neck carve will be very similar to your SE plus the unfinished neck on the CE24 might be more comfortable to you.
The one major debate is if you prefer a set neck (S2) or a bolt on neck (CE24)..

Back