SE nuts

Tremontinator

Banned
IMG_20190323_220458825_zpsxfv0gmbv.jpg

OMG bro tell me that's not what it looks like...

It's not wiping off.
How does this even happen?

As been noted by just about every nut that plays an SE, the plastic nuts on the SE just plain suck. They bind and they kill tone because they are hollow and generally not affixed properly.

Get yourself a GraphTech nut or a USA PRS nut, and all will be right in the world again.

Assuming of course, that's what you were talking about.o_O

Looks like a core nut on an SE. The little gap because of the difference in size between the two.

Like I said, not affixed properly. Just my opinion at the moment, remove it, replace it, and reglue it. Some form of Superglue is best. 3 drops left, center and right is all you need.

One more costly upgrade. Where does it end?

I wanted to put the USA pickups in it.
Needed the locking tuners
Already paid to have the nut filed

It still won't stay perfectly in tune the way a hard tail would.

Now, I need to put a nut on it?
This guitar is going to nickel and dime me to death, isn't it?

I'm at the point where I'm about to just block the damn tremolo, too. Hopefully then it'll stay in tune. I'm not willing to spend money to change the bridge. Too expensive for how little I use it.

I'm never buying another damn tremolo bridge.

I'm at the point where I'm about to just block the damn tremolo, too. Hopefully then it'll stay in tune. I'm not willing to spend money to change the bridge. Too expensive for how little I use it.

Nuts are cheap in comparison to most other parts. And are easily replaced (with care) by the average user. I do want to point out, that if you do swap the nut, be sure to gently file off any old glue from the nut slot.

You sure showed him! :D

You both forgot the Duct Tape and WD40

Does it move?
Yes
Is it supposed to?
No
Duct Tape it!

Does it move?
No
Is it supposed to?
Yes
WD40 that *****! :p

And Zip Ties

Don't matter if that bolt is torqued to spec, or cross threaded and ran down with an impact

Tight is tight!:D
Just for the record duct tape was my first choice but Sergio requested the change. Besides if you hold down your nut with duct tape then you might as well be playing a first act, or fandar or gobsin.:p

Sounds like you could be spending a lot certainly. Before you do though...

1/ Its only worth spending good money on a cheaper guitar if its a keeper. Unless you change out all the bits you replaced again.
2/ I agree about blocking the trem. I have blocked loads of them. Its annoying that otherwise perfect guitars are made with trem bridges (some do work though).
3/ Do you need all the upgrades? Are the pickups that bad?

Sounds like you could be spending a lot certainly. Before you do though...

1/ Its only worth spending good money on a cheaper guitar if its a keeper. Unless you change out all the bits you replaced again.
2/ I agree about blocking the trem. I have blocked loads of them. Its annoying that otherwise perfect guitars are made with trem bridges (some do work though).
3/ Do you need all the upgrades? Are the pickups that bad?

3 The USA pups are that great

2 I'm this || close

1 It's a keeper

Tuning issues are almost always the nut. Any brand, any model, etc.

I have locking tuners on a couple of guitars, but they don't hold tune any better than non-locking tuners. I have trem and non trem guitars and, here again, my trem guitars stay in tune just as well as the non-trem models.

I will say that my SE Santana (that I got a few months ago but has been in storage most of the time, due to a move) has been the most troubling to keep in tune. But, I have spent almost no time setting it up. I specifically have not spent any time tuning the nut, or ultimately replacing it like everyone else.

I tend to have bought most of my guitars used, including my one PRS. So, I always expect to do some work un-futzing whatever the guy before me did. Many times, they do nothing with the nut and complain that the guitar goes out of tune easily. But, I have repaired many a guitar's issues with just a quick filing, or replacement of the nut.

The only reason I upgrade or change tuners is aesthetic, or if I want a different tuning ratio. I've honestly not had a tuner fail on me before, other than locking up or being too difficult to turn.

Back