SE Nut - Why the hostility?

I'm a tweaker. To me that's part of the fun of an SE. Pick it up for cheaper and make it my own. Once I took one the distance, it was tough not to do again. It also became my gateway drug to core.

Great example is my 30th Floyd. I dig me some floyd but not enough to spend core money or even DW cash. Scored my SE and made her into my vision of the best guitar possible.

When I got my first SE I saw no reason to go core. I added some core parts and quickly started to understand. Now I'm hooked on ALL PRS unlike any guitar brand before..

Last edited:
They’ve changed the SE nut material over the years. They used to be uniformly bad. The last two SE’s only needed a little work, as opposed to the old ”WTF, get me a core nut on this.” That’s why you’ve read so much that’s bad about them. The other parts? I’m the number one proponent of living with a guitar for 30:days before you futz around with it.

The original PRS trem, nut, tuners, (and original headstock angle) were designed for “wide travel” trem use (ie: dive bombs).

It’s cool when people have realistic expectations from single or non locking trem systems, but it is entirely possible to do wide travel/dive bombs with a proper PRS guitar that has been expertly set up. It was, and remains to be the single greatest feature that made me switch to PRS in 1993 and continues to this day.

No nuts were harmed in the making of this game. Balls, OTOH, are something you throw, kick, or bump with your head. Fans act like nuts at games. The discussion about "crazy" might be bantered about here, but let's stick with the program.

The truth is, we're being driven out. No nut hostility, just honest to goodness being told to go home...

I might suggest that small buckteeth rodents love nuts. But hey, you won't see me sitting in a tree scolding or bonking you for raking up my food supply.

Yet SE Nuts? You have me confused with the other guy who knows more about nut parts.

Last edited:
The original PRS trem, nut, tuners, (and original headstock angle) were designed for “wide travel” trem use (ie: dive bombs).

It’s cool when people have realistic expectations from single or non locking trem systems, but it is entirely possible to do wide travel/dive bombs with a proper PRS guitar that has been expertly set up. It was, and remains to be the single greatest feature that made me switch to PRS in 1993 and continues to this day.
For some reason @sergiodeblanc 's comment brought to mind this video I saw last year about a guy changing the nut on his Semi Hollow SE and then doing dive bombs to check his tuning stability. His testing starts at the 3:25 mark.

Just in case you don’t believe the wise wisdom of my man Sergio, I leave this here as proof. Dude with the Floyd couldn’t keep his sh!t in tune, while Brazil tuned at the beginning of the day, and that was it!

Y’all ain’t ever dealt with the cheap plastic old SE nuts and it shows ;)

Both of my SE Tremontis, one from 2016 and a 2020 Standard, came with the white plastic nuts. Easily the worst component on both guitars.
But apparently the new SE nuts are made from the same material as the core nuts, so that's cool

This thread was made for me, lets air out some laundry....

SE nuts arent necessarily hot garbage, that ire I save for plastic nuts (and for note, the SE nut is supposed to be a synthetic bronze material and not exactly plastic), but the problem for me is at the price point of SE's, and especially the higher end ones...I would kinda expect better, and here's why: The material is too soft. Every single SE I've ever owned or worked on has had issues with the nut. I'm not even exaggerating, all of them. Some worse than others but its the same every time, the nut gets gouged out by the strings and on trem equipped guitars it binds the strings keeping you from returning to pitch, add to it it every blasted one has slots cut like they were making grand canyon replicas. The exception is the acoustic series of guitars. My Angelus came stock with a bone nut, and it makes a world of difference.

The nut doesnt look like its doing a whole lot, but dont be fooled. Its one of those components that you will only notice when it begins failing at it job, and it can make the whole shebang go out of whack. We got SE's that cost $1500 now, my 35th and Pauls were a grand each, and I HAD to replace the nuts on both of em, I literally had no choice but to do it. They both began failing after a month of use. Since replacing the nuts on both, all the little intonation problems went away. Replacing a nut is not a hard job, but if you pay someone, you can spend another $100 for it. I would charge at least an hours worth of labor. That's a component that I think most of us would be cool with spending a little extra to prevent a trip to the luthier. The material really needs to be harder. On any future SE's I buy, nut replacement will be the first thing I do, I'm not even waiting for it to go derpy on me.

I don’t know where you live, but nut replacement here in the DMV is $50. By the way, the graph tech nuts also work fine, I just think the core nuts are the best. Keep in mind the SE nuts are set up by factory workers. The USA nuts are set up by guitar players.

*sigh*...DMV fees are nuts over here. We get squeezed tighter than Robert Johnson's lemons.

Don't I know it! It's time for license renewal at the DTR household, and for some reason, everything is in my name. Both my cars and my wifes truck, our golf cart, camper and trailer, all in my name. I went in for new license plate stickers on Friday and it was $248.50! :eek::eek:

Back