SE Nut swap (Bone or Core or ??)

90sMcCarty

I know the Core nuts are inexpensive, and a common choice, but I read that they're narrower and leave a line that used to be covered by the SE nut, which I'm not down with.

So I'm considering other alternatives, either Bone or a fancy composite one that's probably much like the Core nuts. Tone first, aesthetics is a close second.

What do you guys think? Can any of you who put the Core nut on there show a close up photo of the gap it doesn't cover? That would be helpful to see.

I put Graphtech Black Tusq (PT-6643) on my SE Cu24 and Singlecut. No problems there!

Core, just make sure you choose trem or stoptail based on what your bridge is. I swapped the nut on my SE One and it definitely helps.
Oh, so the pair of nuts (ha) for sale from PRS directly isn't two of the same, it's one for Stop Tail and one for Tremolo? So are the people who had gaps after the swap just using the wrong one?

Oh, so the pair of nuts (ha) for sale from PRS directly isn't two of the same, it's one for Stop Tail and one for Tremolo? So are the people who had gaps after the swap just using the wrong one?
What??!! I’ve never heard of there being a difference based on the bridge design. Ever. I’m happy to be wrong, just school me. :confused:

I know that I have seen different ones for trem vs Stoptail. Whether it’s snake oil or not I have no idea.

no bueno. metal nuts clink when you tune. too much friction with the string.
Interesting, I would have thought the friction would have been less. Polished metal on polished metal can be somewhat slippery. I understand the clinking on the EAD and sometime G ( depending if it is wrapped or solid. As the turns of the outer winding engage the nut surface. Good to know, thanks for the info.

This is a core nut on an SE with an ebony TRC.
1YzhMo1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm assuming the denser materials (I.e. bone, metal, etc.) would allow better tone transfer to the neck, which makes them desirable bridge and nut materials. Thermoplastics tend to be softer in comparison and actually deform over time which adversely effects tone transfer. So, why would I want to use a plastic nut?

Something I noticed the other day as well, the nut on my SE CU24 is hollow. At least one third of the nut is void. Which by my estimation reduces tone transfer as well. I would want a dense solid mass at the nut for tone transfer and string control, than a piece of pressed plastic that is not all there.

Am I over thinking this?

So for s&g I tried a compensated brass nut from a source on eBay. I had done this on a Bass already, so for $16 I figured what the heck. On initial installation the nut produced cleaner tones on all strings, but sat way too high off the first fret.
Today, I ground off about 1/16" from the bottom of the new nut and installed. I am very pleased with the tones I am getting. They seem cleaner, brighter, and a touch louder. Mid range tones are more pronounced. There is some fine tuning to be done to string height, but I am very happy overall.

Back