SE necks vs Core necks

Isaac cruz

A friend has a 2016 SE 245 and I really like the neck. It seems to be have the ‘Wide Fat’ profile. Would a Core line guitar with a ‘Wide Fat’ profile have the same dimensions as the SE or does the SE have different dimensions?

A friend has a 2016 SE 245 and I really like the neck. It seems to be have the ‘Wide Fat’ profile. Would a Core line guitar with a ‘Wide Fat’ profile have the same dimensions as the SE or does the SE have different dimensions?

Hi,

To me, Pattern seems close to WF but not 100% identical.

I have 2 core guitars with Pattern necks and I get along with them just fine. However, I cannot stand the WF profiles on the SE guitars. Sucks for me because I love the SE guitars but I can’t buy them because of the WF neck. So there’s enough of a difference to me between Wide Fat and Pattern for me to avoid Wide Fat necks altogether.

I recommend that you try to find a core guitar with a Pattern neck so that you can test it out.

My Zach Myers SE with the Wide Fat neck is the same width nut and string spacing as USA Gibsons. If you change the nut with a graphtech you have to make sure you put the right one on. A lot of people put the wrong one on which is almost 3mm narrower like an import string spacing. The thickness of the neck is not that thick, roughly the same as my MIM Strat and slightly thinner than my Japanese Lawsuit Les Paul.

Found this info on the PRS Site. It looks like the only difference between US and Korean SE Wide Fat neck is that the US neck is 1/32 inch (0.7938 mm ) thicker at the nut. About a standard medium pick more thickness. Otherwise they seem to be identical spec.

https://www.prsguitars.com/csc/neckprofiles.html

IME the profiles are similar but the core models' finishes feel different and they have more heavily rolled edges

I find a wide variety of necks fall immediately into my range of acceptability. I can immediately feel the difference, but if I like it, I have no problem adapting immediately. My JP12 has a THIN neck a very flat fretboard. But I have no problem flipping from it, to my Wolfgang, which is a wide C, Eddie neck. But I have never liked Wizard necks even though I loved Ibanez guitars when the Wiz came out and have other Ibanez guitars that just rock. One of my friends has an Ibanez with a Wizard neck and I hate the whole feel of it. As soon as I picked it up the first time I just said "no, not for me!" And I tried every time I saw him and could never like that guitar. But my JS100 is great. And my 79 Artist is my first real guitar and a GREAT overall guitar.

I have 4 PRS core guitars with 4 different neck profiles and I love them all and have no problem flipping between them. I tried a Bernie on vaca last year and the few minutes I played it, it, I didn't love it. Might be "adaptable" but it wasn't an immediate "love it" like the cores. I love some strat necks, but don't like the string feel. I don't like some LP necks but love the tones.... when you have to play the thing, you have to like what you FEEL. That's why PRS is #1 for me. I put one in my hands, and it just "Feels right!"

Back