SE Mods

To be honest, I've never really used them. I go between tunings a lot, and i wasn't sure how that works with locking tuners. Ive always stuck with Grover or Kluson.

To be honest, I've never really used them. I go between tunings a lot, and i wasn't sure how that works with locking tuners. Ive always stuck with Grover or Kluson.

Locking tuners shouldn't affect that negatively. They may even help. They'll eliminate winds on the posts, so you'll have no slippage or stretching there.

And they make string changes much easier!

Locking is awesome. You spin a wheel to clamp the strings in the posts without having to wrap the strings around or do a locking wrap. Makes changing strings super fast. You can change tunings just like before unlike a Floyd locking nut.

That's what i thought, but i wasn't sure haha. I know a lot of tuners have the thumb wheel, but i was checking out the mini Grovers and wasnt sure if those worked the same way

That's what i thought, but i wasn't sure haha. I know a lot of tuners have the thumb wheel, but i was checking out the mini Grovers and wasnt sure if those worked the same way
The Grovers are self-locking. You align the holes, insert string at near tension, turn it and it clamps down.
The Grover buttons are kinda small, but you can swap them with your stock ones if that bothers you.

The Grovers are self-locking. You align the holes, insert string at near tension, turn it and it clamps down.
The Grovers are a cool design and are light compared to the Schaller alternatives. In practice, a dark stage made for difficult restringings because of getting the holes aligned. Other than that, I liked them a lot.

Honestly, though, a Cu22 should have come with PRS locking tuners (wings, phase II or phase III) and are superior to anything aftermarket. I would not change.

Realized I never posted the 'finished' SE Singlecut!

I have a place in my heart for 'natural' guitars, and this one I grabbed as a messaround mod platform for Eb rawk. I think the top is kinda cool with the cross-hatch flame.

Mods it came with:
- Grover 406c locking tuners
- Dual push-pull pots
- Gibson pickups

I didn't vibe with the pickups, and hated the individual tapping with 2 pots (also they sounded terrible tapped).

My mods:
- PRS USA nut
- Dragonfire Phat Screamers with black rings. The 'phat' is those oversized pole pieces.
- TonePros locking studs (tried the matching bridge, it's annoying, went back to stock)
- PRS USA volume pot, which comes with treble bleed
- Black toggle switch tip
- Black speed knobs. These ones go to 11.
- Schaller straplocks
- Scotchbrited neck for satiny smoothness

I need to acquire some normal sized tuner buttons. Not sure if I should go chrome or black - thoughts?

QsmpiS2.jpg

G1gI4Kw.jpg

EtLiigM.jpg

Strap locks on all guitars!

And looking into locking tuners...possibly replacing the nut as well. Hoping for darkened chrome looking hardware because black is too dark and silver is too bright. But Function over form eh?

Check with John Mann. He may have exactly what you`re looking for in hardware. And your guitar is already bitchin!

Reactions: umo
Back