SE Mods

I have one of the red SE245's and so far, I've swapped out the pickups and caps for a set of DiMarzio 36th Annivesary PAFs and Mojotone paper-in-oil caps. I still need to go back in and do a volume mod on both volume pots. I'll eventually get around to a new nut and some locking tuners.

Overall, these are great guitars.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;31616 said:
Yes. It's super easy. Any competent guitar repair shop can do it but if you want to do it in style, send it in to the PRS Tech Center and get the nut and pots upgraded while it's there.

No need to do some routing on the body? Im thinking changing the pickups to humbucker. I want to put dimarzio pafpro on it. Do i need F spaced pickup?

PRS Mike Mushok SE Baritone

Mods List:
Schaller M6 lockint Tuners
Di Marzio Air Norton DP193 (Bridge)/Di Marzio 36th Anniversary Bridge DP223 (Neck) (Ibanez style wiring)
CTS Pots
5 Way Allparts Superswitch
ESP LTD F-50 Black Metal Knobs

Pics:
DSC00569.jpg

DSC00570.jpg

DSC00571.jpg

Heres my SE245 mods...

-Planet Waves locking and auto-trim tuners
- Jim Dunlop Strap Locks
-Warman Guitars wrap around bridge with individual adjustable saddles
-Warman Guitars HB-P90 in the neck
-Warman Guitars Destroyer Humbucker in the bridge
-Bridge pick-up wired for series / coil tap / parallel & phase reversal using two micro switches.

sorry for the poor quality of the picture,

IMG_20121129_182926.jpg

533945_443334942394111_1893901238_n.jpg

IMG_2743.jpg

SE 245:
US PRS nut
Schaller locking tuners
DiMarzio 36th Anny pups
Schroeder Adjustable Stoptail - TonePros metric locking studs
Switchcratf jack and 3-way switch
10% CTS pots and PIO caps
IMG_2528.jpg

SE Standard:
bone nut
Schaller locking tuners
Bare Knuckle matched set "The Mule"
Tremel-no
Switchcraft jack and 3-way switch
RS Guitar Works Super pots PIO cap (two volume one master tone)
two mini toggles on/on/on for series-humbucker/split-coil/parallel-humbucker

Love this stuff :congrats:, was thinking of doing a similar thing to my SE Tremonti UK Custom as your SE Standard.
What kind of Tremel-No did you use on it?:dontknow::dontknow:
How easy are the Schallers to put in?:dontknow:
Can you coil tap all Bareknuckle humbuckers?:dontknow:
Would you recommend replacing all pots, jacks and switches?:dontknow:
Thanks!!:cheers:

Love this stuff :congrats:, was thinking of doing a similar thing to my SE Tremonti UK Custom as your SE Standard.
What kind of Tremel-No did you use on it?:dontknow::dontknow:
How easy are the Schallers to put in?:dontknow:
Can you coil tap all Bareknuckle humbuckers?:dontknow:
Would you recommend replacing all pots, jacks and switches?:dontknow:
Thanks!!:cheers:

For the BKP pups you'd need to order them with 4 conducter wiring. I'd also recommend short legs. For the SE's a bridge pup with either 50mm or 53mm spacing will be fine.

For the BKP pups you'd need to order them with 4 conducter wiring. I'd also recommend short legs. For the SE's a bridge pup with either 50mm or 53mm spacing will be fine.

I see you used switches for coil tap and phase reverse, but what pot would you recommend for a push/pull coil tap? Was thinking the PRS USA one (500k), also how easy is the Tremol-No to put in (any pictures of the process)?

SE Santana mod

I've got a PRS SE Santana II, 2003 I think (D serial):
santana.jpg

Beautiful sound, except for the low/open frets of the G string. Hence a trip to the guitar tech, and in came the following stuff:
* Gibson Classic '57 P'ups
* Orange Drop
* Gibson pots
* new wiring and jack
* Gibson straplocks
(take one guess which type of guitars my tech usually services :p ). Quite happy with the sound now - no need for further mods until I learn to play better than I do now :eek:

My SE Tremonti

upgraded with Chrome covered hand-wound vintage paf style pickups and out-of-phase pull-push tone knob

tremonti-small_zps7e65482a.jpg

Hey guys, I picked up PRS SE Standard a few years ago at Sam Ash. I would like to put locking tuners on it, and perhaps figure out a way to do a coil tap.

First off, could someone point me to what locking tuners FIT this guitar, and where I get them? Is this a simple matter of unscrewing what is on there and just putting on the new ones or is something a tech has to do?

Thanks!
Tom

Hey guys, I picked up PRS SE Standard a few years ago at Sam Ash. I would like to put locking tuners on it, and perhaps figure out a way to do a coil tap.

First off, could someone point me to what locking tuners FIT this guitar, and where I get them? Is this a simple matter of unscrewing what is on there and just putting on the new ones or is something a tech has to do?

Thanks!
Tom

There are drop in replacement tuners. Someone else will be able to name the exact models, but I know they're available.

Coil tap may be more problematic if you have the stock pups or pups with two conducter wiring.

There are drop in replacement tuners. Someone else will be able to name the exact models, but I know they're available.

Coil tap may be more problematic if you have the stock pups or pups with two conducter wiring.

Grover 406c's are the drop in replacements that PRS recommends, but I think there may be one or two other models that drop in also, just surf back through older threads to see what others have used. I like the 406c's fine though. But quite honestly, I would recommend a new nut before new tuners. For coil taps, if you have the original pickups, you'll have to go in and add a wire lead to the wire that connects the coils. Not a bad job if you're familiar with how a tapped pickup works and you know how to solder, but if not I'd leave it to a tech.

Definitely fix the nut first. You might not need the locking tuners (depending if yours is a trem model). I made the mistake of getting tuners first. Still wouldn't hold tune. Got a new nut put in and voila.

+3. The tuners work great IMHO. I had some Gotoh magnum locking tuners (a direct fit) on my SE Santana for a long time and they were fine. I took them off and put the original tuners back on and have had no trouble.

Also, I have added a coil split wire to a SE humbucker in the past. It's really not too hard to do provided you have experience soldering and stuff.

I did new tuners because I didn't like the feel of the stock ones. I got the locking Grover minis. Great tuners. A good tech could tweak the nut if the strings are hanging up. I just swapped mine out for bone.

I did new tuners because I didn't like the feel of the stock ones. I got the locking Grover minis. Great tuners. A good tech could tweak the nut if the strings are hanging up. I just swapped mine out for bone.

Unfortunately mine had to be replaced (nut). He couldn't get them to not stick so he just put in a new nut and voila. He's a PRS dealer too, great guy. Does all of my guitar/amp repairs.

Back