SE Mods

dscn2558-jpg.534448

Brought it to my guitartech, guitarist of German prog-group Long Distance Calling (famous in Europe for their mainly instrumentals, he decided to install and to rasp a new PRS USA nut because the old one wasn´t prepared proper on A and D string leading to a certain de-tuning. He adjusted the action aswell and the trussrod.

dscn2563-jpg.534449

Comparing pictures, you could easily realize that my tech adjusted the pickup heights and the bobbins.

I played it today extensively: PERFECT action, it stays in tune, the intonantion is excellent even with sus-chords...
Dave did a great job again!

Last edited:
Some serious SEs going on here. My SE245 project is starting to make me question my core models. Just picksups , nut and tuners so far. I used a set of SC245 pickups I took from a core model awhile back. I think they sound better in the SE, this guitar has punch like Mike Tyson.

I have two rather battered SEs that I continue to give a tough life.

Both were unmodded when I got them, but well worn

https://pixxxels.org/

Soapbar SE has had its controls swapped around, and it has a Seymour Duncan Hot P90 in the bridge slot and old Grover tuners on the headstock. Plus like all my guitars, I have put a new bone nut with widened string spacing.

The Tremonti is another basket case when I got it, jack socket didn't work. Levelled the frets, added a Warman bridge pickup, and some nickel covers. New bone nut and the rest is stock. Oh, both have had their glossy necks dulled down to make then a bit less sticky onstage, where they both get used regularly.

some sick SEs in here!

RE: Gibson pickups in a PRS... use whatever works! if you like it who are we to judge

I used a 498t for a while, really punchy things, just not articulate enough for my tastes. I really wish they would stamp their pickups with identifying marks! I only figured out this was (probably) a 498 because it measured 14k or thereabouts

Some of the mods to singlecuts in here makes me itch to muck with mine, but I promised myself this would be the one guitar I buy that doesn't get gutted and stripped. Everything is pretty decent from the factory, which I think is high praise for an instrument made to a price point!

Got my 2010 SE Singlecut back from PTC today with some nice upgrades. 57/08 covered pickups, new bridge with brass saddles, new amber lampshade knobs with push pull tone pot, Core nut. And the Schaller locking tuners I installed just before sending it in. It's like a whole new guitar. Love it!
SE%20Mods%201.jpg
SE%20Mods%204.jpg
SE%20Mods%205.jpg

Got my 2010 SE Singlecut back from PTC today with some nice upgrades. 57/08 covered pickups, new bridge with brass saddles, new amber lampshade knobs with push pull tone pot, Core nut. And the Schaller locking tuners I installed just before sending it in. It's like a whole new guitar. Love it!
SE%20Mods%201.jpg
SE%20Mods%204.jpg
SE%20Mods%205.jpg

Nice! Love the PTC! They do great work.

I know...I know.

I half expected somebody from PRS to show up last night and beat me down with a truss rod.

While it may be blasphemy to put Gibby pups in a PRS, they really sound awesome in there. Lots of growl, and mean as hell with some MXR Super Badass mixed in. The cleans sound pretty nice, too.

I promise to never repeat such behavior, though. My fall from grace will be a one-time thing.

All's fair in love and guitars! :D Personally, I have a PRS pickup in a Gibson and a Gibson pickup going in a PRS (a Burstbucker 3 into my SE245), so if it works for you, go for it! But then again, I'm not afraid to be a heretic, you might not want to follow me (you might get 'torch and pitchfork-ed' too).

I`ll keep the tar and feathers ready, just in case you cross the line again.

Last edited:
Here's my Bernie in (hopefully) finished form

Bernie%20full.jpg

Posted about this in another thread - but these are the changes:
Gotoh tuners (which are barely long enough, am not recommending the swap)
Tusq nut
Seymour Duncan 59 pickups, added raw nickel covers
Neck pickup now has Alnico 2 magnet
Bridge pickup now has Unoriented Alnico 5 magnet
Tonepros locking bridge posts - another one where not sure I'd do it again. Posts wrapped in plumbers tape before install.
Switch needed to be replaced when I got the guitar
Gudeman paper in oil tone capacitor .022
Switchcraft jack
Allparts oversized strap buttons. Not factory but the same size.

None of the changes were necessary to make it a great guitar. Fun project and got me closer to what I would consider an ideal singlecut humbucking guitar.

Posted about this in another thread - but these are the changes:

Gotoh tuners (which are barely long enough, am not recommending the swap)...

Switchcraft jack...

I quite like the Gotohs and if I ever get a R8/R9 it will be getting a set. Sure the string posts are shorter, but I have had absolutely now issues with them. They feel better quality than the originals, but at the same time, the originals worked great.

The nut on my jack is coming loose and for the price, this seems like a great upgrade. Are you happy with the quality of the jack? My 11 year old USA PRS jack still feels great - definitely a class above the ones in the Bernie.

I quite like the Gotohs and if I ever get a R8/R9 it will be getting a set. Sure the string posts are shorter, but I have had absolutely now issues with them. They feel better quality than the originals, but at the same time, the originals worked great.

The nut on my jack is coming loose and for the price, this seems like a great upgrade. Are you happy with the quality of the jack? My 11 year old USA PRS jack still feels great - definitely a class above the ones in the Bernie.

I agree the Gotoh tuners are better quality, just wish the shafts were a touch longer. Compared the Bernie to my Mira X and the Bernie headstock is thicker. Enough to make the difference. Pretty sure the Mira has Gotoh tuners stock.

As for the jack, I change every electric out to Switchcraft, unless it's already there. They're my go to switch for the past 20 years. Just reliable. And on the Bernie there is no need to drill the jackplate.

As for the jack, I change every electric out to Switchcraft, unless it's already there. They're my go to switch for the past 20 years. Just reliable. And on the Bernie there is no need to drill the jackplate.

Do you use the open type or the barrel type? I have the barrel type in a headphone amp and it is great, but I am not sure if it will fit the Bernie (don't have a spare to check). Nail polish to the nut is probably the best option for my problem, but sometimes it's just fun to tinker.

Do you use the open type or the barrel type? I have the barrel type in a headphone amp and it is great, but I am not sure if it will fit the Bernie (don't have a spare to check). Nail polish to the nut is probably the best option for my problem, but sometimes it's just fun to tinker.

Open type. That's the only type I've ever used.
It isn't tinkering if it isn't fun. Even a "what would happen if...?" change can be fun.

Open type. That's the only type I've ever used.
It isn't tinkering if it isn't fun. Even a "what would happen if...?" change can be fun.

I was hoping to get the input jack on my Bernies to the same type of quality as the USA PRS guitars. The input jack on my 24 Standard just feels a step above the SE in terms of quality. PRS does sell their assembly (http://us.prsaccessories.com/products/output-jack-1-4), but based on another thread I can't find now, this assembly will be a direct fit, but the wings of the SE jackplate are larger, meaning the prior holes will still be visible.

I did some more research on the barrel jacks and it seems that it may not be the best idea to use them. Once they wear out they need to be replaced whereas on the open jack, you can just bend the retaining "clip" back in place.

I was hoping to get the input jack on my Bernies to the same type of quality as the USA PRS guitars. The input jack on my 24 Standard just feels a step above the SE in terms of quality. PRS does sell their assembly (http://us.prsaccessories.com/products/output-jack-1-4), but based on another thread I can't find now, this assembly will be a direct fit, but the wings of the SE jackplate are larger, meaning the prior holes will still be visible.

I did some more research on the barrel jacks and it seems that it may not be the best idea to use them. Once they wear out they need to be replaced whereas on the open jack, you can just bend the retaining "clip" back in place.

The jack on my Mira X is a Switchcraft, just opened it up to look.

Yes, the core jack plate does leave the other holes visible. You could plug them. I haven't bothered changing the plate on mine. Yet.

Anyone have experience swapping out 85/15s for the SE pups and keeping the other SE electronics?

Anything wrong with that?

edit: to clarify, swapping the HFS/vintage pups in my SE for 85/15 pups

Last edited:
Back