SE Mods

So, I decided to slap one of my spare SE P-90 pickups into my '79 Les Paul Deluxe. Just the neck position replacing the stock minihumbucker. But guess what...it doesn't fit! The cover's corners are a different radius than the corners cut in the guitar cavity and binds. W.T.H??!! I thought all P-90s and minihummers were universal. Or did PRS vary the design just this >< much? Regardless...aarrgg!:mad: I really like these pickups.

I've heard about this before. I don't think there's a real definitive reason for this either. I remember the GFS mini-hummer I put in an old SE Soapbar II that I used to own fit but didn't quite fit perfectly.

In theory, couldn't you file the corners to the correct radius on the pickup cover to get it to fit?

I always thought that Soapbars were a slightly different size than humbuckers. That`s why they introduced humbucker sized p-90`s. Am I wrong here?

I always thought that Soapbars were a slightly different size than humbuckers. That`s why they introduced humbucker sized p-90`s. Am I wrong here?
Yes, but not mini humbuckers. Those and P-90s are the same dimensions...in theory.

I'll probably end up sanding down one or two corners to make it work.

So, I decided to slap one of my spare SE P-90 pickups into my '79 Les Paul Deluxe. Just the neck position replacing the stock minihumbucker. But guess what...it doesn't fit! The cover's corners are a different radius than the corners cut in the guitar cavity and binds. W.T.H??!! I thought all P-90s and minihummers were universal. Or did PRS vary the design just this >< much? Regardless...aarrgg!:mad: I really like these pickups.

Time to break out the Dremel. Or, have the Sergemeister over.

Figured I'd breathe a little life into this thread. Was feeling bored one day and thought maybe I should try to get some green knobs on my ZM. I put the phase iii's on long ago so I just ordered up some maple buttons and dyed em green as close as I could guess so they'd match the trampas green top. I think I like it *thumbs up*
IMG_0815_zpsbr0jys21.jpg

IMG_0814_zpstf2gzzrq.jpg

Figured I'd breathe a little life into this thread. Was feeling bored one day and thought maybe I should try to get some green knobs on my ZM. I put the phase iii's on long ago so I just ordered up some maple buttons and dyed em green as close as I could guess so they'd match the trampas green top. I think I like it *thumbs up*
IMG_0815_zpsbr0jys21.jpg

IMG_0814_zpstf2gzzrq.jpg

I approve!

v9uuXtugrN
https://twitter.com/nekooyaji1/status/774231861816012800/photo/1
PRS SE EG MOD: pickups/ fender pure vintage strato 54 limited
controls/ 1 volume 1 master tone 1 turbo blender
nut/ task
tuner/ Gotoh magnum lock
with arming adjuster (ESP)

PRS SE Custom 22 MOD: pickups/ Seymour Duncan
             sound control/ ham-single coil-phaseout switch for both pickups
nut/ bone
tuner/ Gotoh magnum lock
with arming adjuster (ESP)

Last edited:
IMG_0815_zpsbr0jys21.jpg

IMG_0814_zpstf2gzzrq.jpg

Wow that looks phenomenal!

Mods to my Bernie Marsden are complete!!!

From stock, I did the following:

1. Changed the tuners to John Mann modified Phase II locking tuners.

2. Changed the stock nut to a PRS Core.

3. Changed the Stoptail to a John Mann adjustable Stoptail (2300).

4. Changed out the stock pups for a new set of Gibson 57 Classics. (Was going to go with BK Abraxas, but I got a great deal on the 57s).

5. Changed the strings to Elixr Nanowebs. For reasons only Buddha understands, these particular strings just make sense on this guitar, and sound better (to me) than the NYXLs I put on everything else I own.

Last edited:

I know...I know.

I half expected somebody from PRS to show up last night and beat me down with a truss rod.

While it may be blasphemy to put Gibby pups in a PRS, they really sound awesome in there. Lots of growl, and mean as hell with some MXR Super Badass mixed in. The cleans sound pretty nice, too.

I promise to never repeat such behavior, though. My fall from grace will be a one-time thing.

My mods:
- Ebony tuner buttons (Schaller) - due to contact point with the headstock I needed to sand tuner buttons for position one an six to a certain extent. The tuner button for position 4 runs with a distance of a hair over the headstock´s side.
- PRS USA nut (for White Thin profiles).
dscn2553-jpg.533140

- Ebony pickup rings (Crazyparts/Hailwood).
- Ebony trapezoid switch tip (Crazyparts/Hailwood).
- O-RIng knobs (Hipshot).
dscn2538-jpg.533125

- Schaller M6 locking tuners (color: ruthenium).
dscn2542-jpg.533129

- Schaller security locks and pins (color: ruthenium) with the PRS signature strap (http://us.prsaccessories.com/collections/straps/products/prs-signature-strap-walnut-tan).
dscn2545-jpg.533132

Overall picture:
dscn2535-jpg.533123

Back