SE Mods

Thanks! I didn't even realize they had discontinued the SE Orianthi... thing plays as good as any USA core model I've owned!
I left the original tremolo. I don't have any tuning problems with it at all.

Last edited:
I've been waiting for a while to finish the makeover on my SE 30th Anniversary CU24. The big thing for me was to put covers on those zebra pickups. I didn't really have a problem with their sound, but the looks just never seemed right to me. I know others prefer them, but I wanted my own touch. So I got the Smoked Nickel covers from Philadelphia Luthiers and the switch tip for the blade switch. I had an extra trem arm tip also that I fitted with a little hokery pokery. Note that I kind of like a black theme to go with the ebony fretboard. But those covers look more like a Darth Vader thing to me. I just wish I had a better picture. The lighting was not so good, but anyway, here goes.

SE_30th_CU24_DkCherry_zpsgo7yfowm.jpg

I've been waiting for a while to finish the makeover on my SE 30th Anniversary CU24. The big thing for me was to put covers on those zebra pickups. I didn't really have a problem with their sound, but the looks just never seemed right to me. I know others prefer them, but I wanted my own touch. So I got the Smoked Nickel covers from Philadelphia Luthiers and the switch tip for the blade switch. I had an extra trem arm tip also that I fitted with a little hokery pokery. Note that I kind of like a black theme to go with the ebony fretboard. But those covers look more like a Darth Vader thing to me. I just wish I had a better picture. The lighting was not so good, but anyway, here goes.

SE_30th_CU24_DkCherry_zpsgo7yfowm.jpg
Dig it! Nicely done!!

I should have also mentioned that after wax potting the covers on the zebras, I did notice a tone change that, to me at least, sounded a bit more warm or "friendly", but I definitely consider it an improvement sound-wise. I believe that this Limited Edition has found a permanent home here.

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer, but is there a place to buy a new set of SE pickups? I got a used SE Zach Myers a couple months back that someone had changed the pickups on, but they're just not cutting it for me. I've heard surprisingly good things about the stock SE245 pickups that it would have had from the factory. Any suggestions?

I've got a set of Tremonti pick-ups I took out of my SE you can have FOC, there's nothing wrong with them I just wanted to experiment with coil tapping with some SD's - which work brilliantly in the Tremonti BTW. I don't mind popping them in a jiffy bag to you - PM me if you want them.

I've got a set of Tremonti pick-ups I took out of my SE you can have FOC, there's nothing wrong with them I just wanted to experiment with coil tapping with some SD's - which work brilliantly in the Tremonti BTW. I don't mind popping them in a jiffy bag to you - PM me if you want them.
That's awesome. I really appreciate it! Just sent PM.

They're in the post, let's hope they get there before Christmas :D

Should anyone want a set of never-used SE zebra pickups, I have the ones that were stock in my SE 30th Anniversary CU24 (the Vintage Sunburst quilt, not my Dark Cherry flame). Sweetwater installed 59/09's for me and sent the originals with the guitar. I won't be using them, so if you'd like them, PM me. I just have to remember to check for messages, :rolleyes:.

I'd seen that topic but I was thinking more of a forum for individual topics.

Hey guys! Brand new PRS owner here! Just got a Mark Tremonti over the weekend and am loving it! I have read a lot here and there about issues that some people have had an others haven't in regards to holding tune and am curious to how much of that is true? I am eyeing a set of Grover 406c locking tuners and a Graphtech nut and am wondering if I will need these or not. I am currently using NYXL 0946 D'addario strings on it. Also what other good mods are recommended for this particular beauty?

Hey guys! Brand new PRS owner here! Just got a Mark Tremonti over the weekend and am loving it! I have read a lot here and there about issues that some people have had an others haven't in regards to holding tune and am curious to how much of that is true? I am eyeing a set of Grover 406c locking tuners and a Graphtech nut and am wondering if I will need these or not. I am currently using NYXL 0946 D'addario strings on it. Also what other good mods are recommended for this particular beauty?
It can vary whether you'll have tuning problems. Those D'addario strings are the same gauge as what was stock from the factory so you may not have any issues. However, if you do start having tuning issues, the first thing I would replace would be the nut. Graphtech makes a nut that will fit but you can also purchase the same nut that PRS uses on the US made Core line. I use these any time I replace a nut on my SEs. The tuners may help, but typically, the tuning issues we see on SEs are caused by the nuts being cut badly.

It can vary whether you'll have tuning problems. Those D'addario strings are the same gauge as what was stock from the factory so you may not have any issues. However, if you do start having tuning issues, the first thing I would replace would be the nut. Graphtech makes a nut that will fit but you can also purchase the same nut that PRS uses on the US made Core line. I use these any time I replace a nut on my SEs. The tuners may help, but typically, the tuning issues we see on SEs are caused by the nuts being cut badly.

Ok that's good to know! I'll have to keep an eye on it as I get more used to the guitar over the next few days and see if I have any issues that might warrant swapping the nut. One other question I did have that I have posted on a few other forums that no one seems to be able to answer is about the trem on this baby. I noticed that from standard tuning all the way down to drop C, there is very little (if any) change in the positioning of the bridge. The only other Trem I've ever used was a floyd rose and if I had went from E to drop C without adjusting the springs, the bridge would be diving into the body big time. Why doesn't this trem do that? Not that it's an issue by any means, lol... just unexpected and I am curious :).

Last edited:
Back