SE Mods

I don't know how much of a mod these changes are, but I like the way my SE cu24 30th Anniversary looks much better now. I changed out the pickup rings, volume and tone knobs, switch tip, and truss rod cover. I dig it!

Not sure why the 2nd picture is upside down. That isn't how it's saved. Oh well...

20150826_184340_zpsrtefjexv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20150826_184357_zpsi6d3rwup.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ah, I see. Great work, that fits nicely.

The pickguard I purchased off ebay fit like this when I purchased it. As you can see it did not fit the shape of the guitar very well. When I reshaped the outer edge to match the contour of the guitar the inner edge no longer matched the outer edge. So I reshaped the inner edge to match the outer

ip87cn.jpg

The pickguard I purchased off ebay fit like this when I purchased it. As you can see it did not fit the shape of the guitar very well. When I reshaped the outer edge to match the contour of the guitar the inner edge no longer matched the outer edge. So I reshaped the inner edge to match the outer

ip87cn.jpg
Wild! I hadn't noticed you reshaped it somewhat. Good work!

http://s781.photobucket.com/user/Ma...150829_184422_zpsqazawlri.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
This is my first build an 09 se singlecut
Ive done some work to it...
Dimarzio super2 neck super3 bridge
allparts push pull pots for coil splitting
Gotoh 510 ub bridge awesome upgrade the bridge locks to the posts its individually intonatable and the posts lock to the anchors
Allparts black locking tuners
I have new knobs ordered and a set of loxx strap locks on the way too
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a new nut?

Last edited:
30th Anniversary SE CU24 Grey/Black
Grover 406c (Black) locking tuners
Seymour Duncan Pegasus / Sentient pups

This is my first PRS and loving it. I've always played Gibson
Hopefully I can post pictures soon to show off my mods
really solid guitar although there are some uneven frets causing some buzz between 3 and 5
I'm sure once I get those evened out it will play perfect.
Had to do the same thing on the Gibsons as well.

Hoping to get a semi-hollow SC soon and the ZM looks like a great guitar for the price. Maybe PRS will offer more color choices in the future.
Or I'll just spring for an S2 :)

Hoping to get a semi-hollow SC soon and the ZM looks like a great guitar for the price. Maybe PRS will offer more color choices in the future.
Look around for limited runs by certain dealers - I have a natural Spalted Maple ZM (from Brian's), an there are other variations from Sweetwater and other retailers, IIRC.

New pickups and mounting rings for my SE Åkesson. The pickups are awesome and definitely worth a try! Had a EM G57/66 set installed before but those were a bit too bright for me so I changed them to another guitar.
These retain plenty of crunch and harmonic content and yet still retains clarity and definition. The bridge ain't as tight as some of the BKPs I've had but ain't particularly loose either. Can't really say anything bad after few hours of playing.

Still on the fence about the creme rings tho... might change them back to black later.

21764269944_2bd26d4af7_b.jpg

22198722530_943af12926_b.jpg

22199309518_521b1dfcb3_b.jpg

22387028585_41b0ef91ac_b.jpg

To anyone who has refinished their se headstock. How did you guys go about doing that. I have a PRS decal that I wanna put in place of the ugly SE custom decal. I just don't wanna ruin the headstock in the process. Any insight from more experienced member would be great.

2003 SE Soapbar, Translucent Vintage Cherry:

• ABM Nickel-plated Bell brass bridge (no locking studs)
  • PRS USA Nut
  • PRS Lampshade Control Knobs with Vintage Pointed Markers
  • Bare Knuckle P90 Pickup Covers
  • Jim Dunlop Locking Strap Buttons
  • CTS Pots
  • Bare Knuckle Jensen Paper in Oil Cap
  • Reversed Truss Rod Cover
  • Switchcraft Jack & Pickup Selector Switch, with Cream knob

So Why did I buy this guitar?
I read a review of 25 electric guitars under £500, this one came first! However, just as the review was published, this model was discontinued. I decided then to buy a good example secondhand, but only got to it 12 years later!!

Why modify this guitar?
In a nutshell, madness! Paul does bother about the SE range, so many manufacturers have 'budget' models produced in Asia, but they are just copies in looks. Almost every component of SE guitars has been designed to meet both tone standards and to still stay within a tight budget. The thing I have experienced, is that once you upgrade something, and hear a positive difference, you are hocked!

So what is she like to play?
The original G&L P90's are really good, I just felt that the nut and bridge could be better. There are people who say that aluminium bridges, although quieter, are best for tone, and the changes made to some guitars in the 70's which made them louder were not good for tone. I have to say, the ABM bell brass bridge contributes greatly to tone and sustain, in conjunction with the harder, and more resonate USA PRS nut; play unplugged, put your ear to the strings and you can hear these two components working together.

Would I ever sell this guitar?
No, are you crazy? I would also never recoup the monetary investment.

Are there any planed modifications for the future?
Funny that you should ask, yes, I want to engage a small boutique winder like Jamie from The Creamery to make a pair of low-output P90's, just to see if there is a tone advantage to be made.

Last edited:
Here's a Zack Meyers I just hot-rodded. BTW it's for sale...
It's a Tobacco Sunburst from Brian's limited run.

- Mannmade USA Intonatable Stoptail bridge
- Lollar Imperial pickups
- PRS core nut
- PRS core pickup rings
- PRS core lampshade knobs
- PRS core strap buttons
O16816-2T.jpg
O16816-3T.jpg
O16816-4T.jpg

Hello!! My first Post here.

I want to introduce you my 2013 PRS SE Custom 24 with my mods.

Schaller M6 Locking Tuners that i have selected based on the info found on this forum

Pickups Seymour Duncan P-Rail at the Neck and JB at the bridge

Next mods planned are the change of the Nut and the Pots and wiring

I have 3 Strato, 2 tele, 2 les paul special, 1 Ibanez AS80, but when I go to play a gig the PRS SE is the Guitar, She is the ONE, I love her, comfortable and versatile

30th Anniversary SE CU24 Grey/Black
Grover 406c (Black) locking tuners
Seymour Duncan Pegasus / Sentient pups

This is my first PRS and loving it. I've always played Gibson
Hopefully I can post pictures soon to show off my mods
really solid guitar although there are some uneven frets causing some buzz between 3 and 5
I'm sure once I get those evened out it will play perfect.
Had to do the same thing on the Gibsons as well.

Check out the one I have shown below.
I see you are from the Boston area, you should come up to my shop and check it out. I am just 5 minutes west of Manchester, NH

Back