SE Mods

So I found someone to route them in -- I let him do most of the talking, and he was saying everything I wanted to hear -- that he wouldn't route any more than absolutely necessary to get them to fit, so that if I flipped back to the original pickups, the extant pickup rings would cover up the routing (it really was mere millimeters by which it didn't fit). So...new pickup incoming... (SE Custom 24/7, Benedetto B-7 in the neck).
I'm liking the Benedetto pickup in the bridge position. I was thinking of moving it to the neck position to slant the energy even more towards the treble (and I still might -- I do have a second B-7).

I did find myself not liking it at first, but then I started strumming right up against the bridge (which also tilts the energy towards the treble), and I'm liking it a lot more, so I have to pay more attention to my picking position than I used to.

You know, in hindsight, I think I switched amps, too. I switched from the MDT to the Archon, so the MDT must be adding a little bloom and warmth and body, and the Archon must be a little drier and straightforward and less euphonious in its presentation. Which is funny, because I thought I preferred the MDT, but now I'm thinking these are two complementary tastes, depending on what I'm trying to accomplish.

I recently picked up one of the 30th Ann. Custom 24 SE's (my first SE in a LONG time) - only stuff I've done so far is put on USA PRS lampshade knobs (the best knobs ever IMO) and I put a second push/pull on the volume so I can tap both PUPS individually...same thing I just did to my Custom 22 Semi-Hollow last weekend.

Thinking about maybe putting in some "different" PUPS...some kind that I wouldn't normally use just to mix it up a bit, but I probably won't play it a ton, it was more of an "impulse" purchase as it was a good price and had a surprisingly nice top on it.

SE Soapbar pickups for sale?

Does anyone have some SE P90 pickups they would like to sell? Perhaps you have upgraded to something better and have the originals lying around?

I want to send them to a custom pickup maker and ask him to copy them, but using better materials for improved tone and harmonics...

I want to send them to a custom pickup maker and ask him to copy them, but using better materials for improved tone and harmonics...
Don't you have to ask permission first? I mean, there has to be a copyright or patent issue here?

I have 3 Singlecut SE P90 guitars. My luthier told me to change the voume controls to RS Superpots (500) before I spent any other money. It worked on two of them. I have a third one with DiMarzio Virtual P90`s, I also had a TBX tone control put on that one. All three do the P90 thing beautifully. yYou might want to try a better volume control first. I think the pickups are better than you think.

Crazy idea….If you are going the TBX tone control route, put in the Clapton boost control in as well. 24db gain with a roll of the knob. i know we should not talk about other brands but that circuit is the best they ever put together, hands down. Even Pete Townshend who would be a great endorser is using the Clapton electronics with a piezo blend. Gilmour's start use a similar concept but with EMG's.

Don't you have to ask permission first? I mean, there has to be a copyright or patent issue here?

Quite right! No, I don't mean to clone them, I want a new pair hand made, but I don't want to deviate from the character of the originals too much. I don't know anything about the SE pickups, I want the output to be the same, so similar number of winds, similar strength magnets.... I've upgraded everything so far except the tuners and pickups..... I've got the modding bug!

I have 3 Singlecut SE P90 guitars. My luthier told me to change the voume controls to RS Superpots (500) before I spent any other money. It worked on two of them. I have a third one with DiMarzio Virtual P90`s, I also had a TBX tone control put on that one. All three do the P90 thing beautifully. yYou might want to try a better volume control first. I think the pickups are better than you think.

Ah yes! I agree absolutely! I changed the volume and tone pots to the CTS Bare Knuckle branded ones and used a Jensen oil in paper cap... also Switchcraft three-way selector and jack. Changing the nut and bridge made a big difference... even though most of the standard parts on these guitars are already pretty good. The tuners and pickups are the only standard parts remaining..... I can't resist tinkering with these..... :)

I think the whole guitar is amazing value for money as it is..... completely standard.... buying an SE has given me even more respect for what Paul is doing!! As you say, they do the P90 thing beautifully!

Thanks for the replies. It is my first electric guitar and I really like it. I'm and old fart and it has a classic look to me.

Sky65 that looks awesome! I have an SE Korina Singlecut that I have wanted to add a pick guard to for a long time, but never seen this done before and wasn't sure how it would look. You've proven to me that it looks great. Where did you get that? Or, did you make it? I would love to get something similar, maybe not so many angles to it.

Sky65 that looks awesome! I have an SE Korina Singlecut that I have wanted to add a pick guard to for a long time, but never seen this done before and wasn't sure how it would look. You've proven to me that it looks great. Where did you get that? Or, did you make it? I would love to get something similar, maybe not so many angles to it.
that's the same pickguard used on a couple other SEs that are no longer in production, namely the SE Custom 22 semi-hollow, 1st generation from maybe 2006 to 2012, and also the 2nd generation Santana SE, made from 2003-2007 or so. Here's my 2nd gen SE Santana...

IMG_3043.jpg

The pickguard I purchased off ebay fit like this when I purchased it. As you can see it did not fit the shape of the guitar very well. When I reshaped the outer edge to match the contour of the guitar the inner edge no longer matched the outer edge. So I reshaped the inner edge to match the outer

ip87cn.jpg

Could anyone post a picture of the cavity on the PRS Custom 24. I need to see the original wiring scheme. Can not find a diagram for it at PRS, DiMarzio, or Duncan. Thanks, vrdyer

Back