SE Mods

I haven't read this whole giant thread so I apologize if this has been answered already, but I want to install nickel humbucker pickup covers on my new SE Custom 24. I've seen several pictures of others like this and it looks SWEET. I know several people on this site have done this to theirs. Therefore, I have questions. Where did you get them? (website) Were there any issue with installation I should know about? Would the ones in this link fit? --- http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_...Parts/Humbucker/Humbucking_Pickup_Covers.html

The one wonky thing to keep in mind about putting covers on SE pickups is that the string spacings are different -- the neck pickup has a 50mm spacing, but the bridge pickup has a 52mm spacing.

FWIW, I got the covers I put on my SE Cu24's pickups from Philadelphia Luthier Supply via eBay.

The one wonky thing to keep in mind about putting covers on SE pickups is that the string spacings are different -- the neck pickup has a 50mm spacing, but the bridge pickup has a 52mm spacing.

FWIW, I got the covers I put on my SE Cu24's pickups from Philadelphia Luthier Supply via eBay.

Yep. I measured them right before you posted this and I came up with the same measurements. I just checked out a photo of your latest CU24 and the pickup covers look great. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:
Now I can't decide which - raw nickel or nickel plated silver. What do you guys think?

Raw nickel is going to have more of a weathered "vintage" look. Also, do you want the pickup covers to match more closely to the saddles (raw nickel) or the rest of the hardware (nickel-silver)?

Slightly off topic, has anyone put an A4 in a DGT neck pickup?

Dunno. Given its PAFishness, it may have an A4 magnet from the factory. (I wish PRS were more forthcoming about which Alnicos they use in which pickups...)

Dunno. Given its PAFishness, it may have an A4 magnet from the factory. (I wish PRS were more forthcoming about which Alnicos they use in which pickups...)

I wish they were a little more forth coming with it also. It's just a guitar, whether or not it's a cheap tesco or a PRS Private stock the parts are the same. If you just do it right the first time then you're going to get a really good playing and sounding instrument. I wonder where I've heard that before...

If all fairness, if someone wanted to get prs pups and take them a part the could reverse engineer the pickups. You might as well tell us and then just do the quality better than anyone else.

Last edited:
Here's is a few of the projects I've got going on a couple of Mushok Baritones. Filled in the neck pup cavity and the selector switch. Brand new wiring harness, USA Phase II tuners, Graphtech nuts, clear lampshade knobs, a Bareknuckle Juggernauts in the surf green and a Bareknuckle Aftermath in the black one.

PRS SE Fredrik Akesson. Seymour Duncan Slash pickup set, bone nut, CTS 500k audio taper pots, orange drop .022 caps, Schaller locking tuners, Schaller strap locks. The volume and tone controls have been configured to a standard LP setup with 50's vintage wiring.

DSC01100_s_zpsb6a88b97.jpg

DSC01082s_zpsef7494c4.jpg

This looks like a very special guitar - Slash alnico pro II's, Schaller Locking Tuners, LP Fifties wiring. Does it sound as good as I think it does? And are those Jumbo frets?

Where can I get decals like yours? I am wanting to mod my prs se santana. Could you send me a pm? Thanks!

Greets from Finland, here's my PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson.
Probably going to get some hating but I sanded off the 'SE Fredrik Åkesson' text off the headstock :eek:. Not going to scam anyone, I just think it looks classier. This one is a keeper for sure! I'll probably dye the headstock but looks better IRL than in the pics. Much darker.

15708207033_16f0d61bd8_b.jpg

16302396246_26e8a5bbb0_b.jpg

16140725290_baac69135b_b.jpg

16140719570_75f4bf86f1_b.jpg

15620893543_76d3f22bd3_b.jpg

15705679384_dce03e40cd_b.jpg

Greets from Finland, here's my PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson.
Probably going to get some hating but I sanded off the 'SE Fredrik Åkesson' text off the headstock :eek:. Not going to scam anyone, I just think it looks classier. This one is a keeper for sure! I'll probably dye the headstock but looks better IRL than in the pics. Much darker.

15708207033_16f0d61bd8_b.jpg

16302396246_26e8a5bbb0_b.jpg

16140725290_baac69135b_b.jpg

16140719570_75f4bf86f1_b.jpg

15620893543_76d3f22bd3_b.jpg

15705679384_dce03e40cd_b.jpg

Killer!!!

Cheers! I lightly rubbed some black stain on the couple of 'oversanded' spots. Looks better now.
Other stuff I've done to her I installed a Tusq XL nut, raw nickel covers on the original pickups (SE245), Schaller strap locks and I switched the control layout around.

16145526719_cc14def7d6_b.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers! I lightly rubbed some black stain on the couple of 'oversanded' spots. Looks better now.
Other stuff I've done to her I installed a Tusq XL nut, raw nickel covers on the original pickups (SE245), Schaller strap locks and I switched the control layout around.

16145526719_cc14def7d6_b.jpg

I think you did a great job with the headstock - it does look nice and classy. And I also like the raw nickel pup covers - my SE ZM completely changed looks when I put covers on the pups.

How did you alter the control layout? I can't remember whether the Akesson (stock) is like a classic LP, or something else...

I switched them around like on Gibson LPs for instance but the bridge volume would be the one closer to the bridge. It used to be like V-V top and T-T under them.

That's a really nice guitar. I think the colour and finish is excellent and the quilt looks fantastic. I also think that a separate tone for the bridge pickup is perhaps a better configuration than 2 vol and 1 tone.

Back