SE Mods

Though I thought I was finished modding Bernie / McCarty 245 hybrid I was wrong. The guitar plays and sounds amazing with its McCarty pickups though I did miss the coil taps of my 2001 McCarty (hadn't wired it for taps), Last week I decided to change that and installed 2 push/push volume pots and wire it so each pickup could be tapped individually. This has really opened up the guitar sonically but has left me a minor problem.

With the extra switching it should probably be know as the Bernie / McCarty / 408 hybrid

51558452990_27f4bb7588_o.jpg

Mods are =
Vinyl headstock overlay with Bernies signature
Custom Ebony & MOP McCarty TRC
Gotoh SD-90 HAP machineheads
Bone Nut
PRS "Core" tailpiece
PRS "Core" McCarty pickups
Upgraded wiring & pots
Push / push volume pot fors coil taps
Russian K40P-2 .022 Paper In Oil Capacitor
Amber Lampshade knobs
Wide nickel strap buttons
Pure Tone (4 point) Jack Socket

Nice work John.

So as some of you may seen in my other post https://forums.prsguitars.com/threa...ve-gigs-and-a-expected-gift.52209/post-725588 I acquired a new SE over the weekend, a 2009 Singlecut trem in virtually unplayed condition.

52223905422_a4309d27e3_o.jpg

On sunday we set about modding it with my son doing most of the work (see other thread)

Mods include =
Vinyl Headstock overlay (Just waiting on new signature)
Gotoh SG-381 machine heads
Chrome plated brass tremolo (may switch out for hybrid version down the line)
Upgraded wiring & pots
Walnut Lampshade knobs

The major change was the pickups - I just couldn't get them to sound how I wanted but not being able to sit and wind my own units at the moment I was stuck till my son suggested putting a set of 245's out of one of the bernie's in there

Bridge pickup magnet swapped with Roughcast Unoriented Alnico 5
Neck pickup magnet swapped for Roughcast Alnico 3 with magnet reversed for Peter Green mod

So as some of you may seen in my other post https://forums.prsguitars.com/threa...ve-gigs-and-a-expected-gift.52209/post-725588 I acquired a new SE over the weekend, a 2009 Singlecut trem in virtually unplayed condition.

52223905422_a4309d27e3_o.jpg

On sunday we set about modding it with my son doing most of the work (see other thread)

Mods include =
Vinyl Headstock overlay (Just waiting on new signature)
Gotoh SG-381 machine heads
Chrome plated brass tremolo (may switch out for hybrid version down the line)
Upgraded wiring & pots
Walnut Lampshade knobs

The major change was the pickups - I just couldn't get them to sound how I wanted but not being able to sit and wind my own units at the moment I was stuck till my son suggested putting a set of 245's out of one of the bernie's in there

Bridge pickup magnet swapped with Roughcast Unoriented Alnico 5
Neck pickup magnet swapped for Roughcast Alnico 3 with magnet reversed for Peter Green mod
Nice work John. And congrats.

Finally got the sig on the headstock of my Paul's SE. I got this from a shop in Canada off etsy. Only cost about $15. Easy to apply, it's a metal laser cut sticker basically. The astute of you will notice I installed it upside down. Wish I could say there was some high concept aesthetic reason for it...I really just forgot the orientation. Meh.

I’m betting you were pretty p****d when you realized the orientation issue. Well, it’s something that makes it uniquely yours.

Just found this group. Did my mods a few years ago. Let’s see if I can remember.
Duncan 59 neck pup
Duncan Custom Custom bridge pup (both 4 wire)
500 ohm push/pull pots
Solid cloth wrapped wiring for individual split coil control
TUSQ nut
Core black pup surrounds
Core knobs
Core black switch tip
Don’t remember which cap I finally decided on…
Kinman style treble bleed
Can’t post the pic until my probation is up (it’s my avatar)

Just found this group. Did my mods a few years ago. Let’s see if I can remember.
Duncan 59 neck pup
Duncan Custom Custom bridge pup (both 4 wire)
500 ohm push/pull pots
Solid cloth wrapped wiring for individual split coil control
TUSQ nut
Core black pup surrounds
Core knobs
Core black switch tip
Don’t remember which cap I finally decided on…
Kinman style treble bleed
Can’t post the pic until my probation is up (it’s my avatar)
Oops. I forgot.
I also blocked the tremolo with a piece of basswood. (I had tuning and stability issues.

Oops. I forgot.
I also blocked the tremolo with a piece of basswood. (I had tuning and stability issues.
Get a proper setup And a new nut. You won’t have a tuning stability issue and can use the trem. I have several with trems, and they all stay in tune beautifully. The caveat is that you have to take it to someone who knows PRS and won’t deck the trem. I’ve bought a lot of PRS over the years that had decked trems and wouldn’t stay in tune. Seller’s mistake- buyer’s delight.

Get a proper setup And a new nut. You won’t have a tuning stability issue and can use the trem. I have several with trems, and they all stay in tune beautifully. The caveat is that you have to take it to someone who knows PRS and won’t deck the trem. I’ve bought a lot of PRS over the years that had decked trems and wouldn’t stay in tune. Seller’s mistake- buyer’s delight.
I actually prefer a hard tail and planned on blocking the trem anyway. It’s easily reversible, and to tell the truth, I never even checked the stability after the new nut and proper setup.

Is there a tutorial on how to do the headstock overlay? I put off getting earlier SE models due to the huge SE on the headstock. Not that I need anymore guitars, but just curious. It is as simple as just overlaying the material, then using an exacto to cut out the holes or is there a template?

Is there a tutorial on how to do the headstock overlay? I put off getting earlier SE models due to the huge SE on the headstock. Not that I need anymore guitars, but just curious. It is as simple as just overlaying the material, then using an exacto to cut out the holes or is there a template?
Petty much! I just put the overlay on there and used a razor blade to cut around the headstock, being mindful to not cut into the clear coat. Then just cut out the holes and thats it.

Petty much! I just put the overlay on there and used a razor blade to cut around the headstock, being mindful to not cut into the clear coat. Then just cut out the holes and thats it.
Exactly the same way as I do it, I usually put a piece of masking tape on the edge of the blade so it rests again the headstock, then run the blade at a slight angle. The hardest part is tightening the machineheads bolts without pulling the vinyl.

Exactly the same way as I do it, I usually put a piece of masking tape on the edge of the blade so it rests again the headstock, then run the blade at a slight angle. The hardest part is tightening the machineheads bolts without pulling the vinyl.
Yeah, seems no matter what I do the machine heads start lifting the vinyl. I guess just have to do it slowly while pushing the vinyl in.

I actually prefer a hard tail and planned on blocking the trem anyway. It’s easily reversible, and to tell the truth, I never even checked the stability after the new nut and proper setup.
Dumb question - do you have to block both sides, or just the side farthest from the bridge? It seems like with a floating trem, you might block both sides? Serious question, as I’m considering blocking my SE, and having my S2 be the trem guitar. TIA and all that.

Dumb question - do you have to block both sides, or just the side farthest from the bridge? It seems like with a floating trem, you might block both sides? Serious question, as I’m considering blocking my SE, and having my S2 be the trem guitar. TIA and all that.
Typically you just block the side facing away from the bridge. I suggest setting up the trem to be in a decked configuration (no float). I do want to ask before we go crazy on the trem, why do you want to block it? Are you having intonation issues?

If I was home I’d give you a pic. I think later I might post some pics about all of my mods.
To answer your question, I just blocked it at the tail “farthest from the bridge”. I think blocking both sides is inviting trouble as the wood swells and contracts. I’m pretty sure it would affect contact with the pivot pins.

Back