SE Mods

Hoping maybe someone can help me out. I'm ordered some new PUPs for my EG, got a SD Hot Rails, Vintage Rails and Cool Rails. Since they're humbucking, would I buy pots for a humbucker or single coil? Or does anyone have a different combo of pots and cap they found works well?

I'd go with 500K pots. Not sure what the EG has in it stock. They may be 500K's.

Finally got around to installing pup covers and US PRS jack plate on my Bernie. Cleaned up, fresh strings and polished while I was at it. Will be replacing the tuners with Gotoh locking vintage ones sometime. Just dead sexy guitar.

Last edited:
Finally got around to installing pup covers and US PRS jack plate on my Bernie. Cleaned up, fresh strings and polished while I was at it. Will be replacing the tuners with Gotoh locking vintage ones sometime. Just dead sexy guitar.

There's something about the Bernie that just cries out for covered pickups.

Which Gotohs are you thinking about? I've been considering that mod for my Bernie as well.

There's something about the Bernie that just cries out for covered pickups.

Which Gotohs are you thinking about? I've been considering that mod for my Bernie as well.
Actually I ended up installing a set of Planet Waves locking tuners that I had laying around today; had to use a hand reamer to enlarge the tuning peg holes from its vintage stock 9mm to 10mm to accommodate the new posts.

This is my Tremonti SE. Since buying it I have fitted EMG 81/85's, a Tusq nut, Locking bridge nuts and Grover 406c's. I also wanted a bare wood style headstock so I went for it and took the finish off and to my surprise it's not a completely awful looking piece of wood under there and it uncovered a lot more binding too. Maybe got the wrong size PRS logo but I really like the look and has made the guitar look a lot less... "Metal" haha.

Anyway just look at it.

very nice. I´m tired of being asked who Zach Myers is and definitely would like to try something like what you did... do you put something above the decal to seal it? where do you get the decal?

thanks

I got it from a guy on eBay but the decal is too big really. It doesn't sit in the posts like the proper ones do so I've ordered another to see if i can improve it. I wanted to find an SE decal as it isn't a core guitar but the SE headstock logo is painted on so there are no replacements for it. I figured it is at least a PRS so I should put something there. I haven't put anything above the decal because it the headstock is a really nice look with it all matte effect so it's just hanging about on top of the wood.

I'm definitely going to remove the SE decal logo on my Santana and my ZM... Planning on leaving the headstock blank.

Can somebody please confirm me this:

Will the decals be removed only by sanding the headstock? Are the decals "above" the wood color or would I have to sand all the finish?

I would like a mate finish but with the original color.. Don't want to go to the bare wood

I appreciate your input

The Santana logo is painted on all will require sanding back to remove. When i was doing mine some of the surrounding finish came off before all of the logo did so it'd be best to take all the finish off and prep the wood up for spraying in the same colour as the body.

Thanks Rowan.. That really holds me back. I was thinking of sanding the "shiny" part but I had hope that once the logo was removed I could maintain the color as I did when sanding te back of the neck. Love that satin look. Maybe I give it a shot, but I definitely don't have the skills to refinish and restoring the original color if I mess up

She's Haruka, a Tremonti Custom SE in Special Edition, made for Thomann's (German retailer, maybe the biggest in Europe) 60th Anniversary. She came out with special features such as ebony fretboard and EMG 81-85 set.
Removed the EMGs and swapped with PRS 59/09 Treble in the bridge and DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversary in the neck. Changed all the electronics to master volume, master tone and 2 miniswitches, one series-coil tap for the bridge, and one series-coil tap-parallel for the neck.
Upgraded the tuners to Grover 406C, with mother-of-pearl style buttons. That's all, by now.

IMG_20150802_200257_1.jpg

Haruka_5909.jpg

IMG_20150802_200313.jpg

Last edited:
They didn't fit.
So I found someone to route them in -- I let him do most of the talking, and he was saying everything I wanted to hear -- that he wouldn't route any more than absolutely necessary to get them to fit, so that if I flipped back to the original pickups, the extant pickup rings would cover up the routing (it really was mere millimeters by which it didn't fit). So...new pickup incoming... (SE Custom 24/7, Benedetto B-7 in the neck).

The Santana logo is painted on all will require sanding back to remove. When i was doing mine some of the surrounding finish came off before all of the logo did so it'd be best to take all the finish off and prep the wood up for spraying in the same colour as the body.

I can confirm that this happened to me too (in case somebody cares)

It's a shame it's done like that but i imagine its like that to keep costs down etc. Get the paint matched and spend some time with wet and dry sandpaper and you'll get your finish back.

It's a shame it's done like that but i imagine its like that to keep costs down etc. Get the paint matched and spend some time with wet and dry sandpaper and you'll get your finish back.

I´m going to put some sticker on it... see how that works out :flute:

Do whatever makes you happy. It's your guitar so if you can enhance it to your liking then go wild :D

Do whatever makes you happy. It's your guitar so if you can enhance it to your liking then go wild :D

It´s a shame... I just can´t stand the SE logos... They could use a more appealing font style... I even like the Zach Myers font... but that big SE in front looks bad on such a nice looking guitars.

I will use an "eagle" sticker I found on the web. If that can´t hyde my bad sanding job I maybe could consider repainting the headstock.

Thanks for your help Rowan

Back