SE Mods

Thanks for the response, dogrocketp. I first went to stewmac, which listed Schroder studs of several different sizes. I'll go straight to the source--much more simple that way =)

As for wiring, I won't do anything drastic. I'll change the pots and put them in Gibson-style positions (muscle memory). I'll change out the pickups, but I can't decide what pickups I want to use in this guitar. I have a set of Lollar's '50s Wind P90s (http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/me...GP&Product_Code=252&Category_Code=P90-pickups). I originally planned on putting them in a 50's Tribute Les Paul Studio, but I might put them in the 245.

Ahhh. The first place I went was stewmac, and they listed multiple sizes for Schroeder studs. I'll just go straight to the source!

I won't do anything overly drastic for the wiring. I'll set the pots in the typical Gibson configuration (muscle memory), and I'll replace the pickups--to what, I haven't decided yet. I have a set of Lollar's '50s P90s that I originally planned on putting in a '50s Tribute Les Paul Studio, but I might put them into my 245.

Here is my Singlecut Trem that I replace the stock knobs with a set of Amber SE knobs.
before

after

The next thing I want to do to the guitar is change the pickups. I'm thinking of either going with Seymour Duncan: 59's in black to keep the stock looking pickup wise or the DiMarzio: 36th Anniversarys in cream because if if the guitar would look like the picture in my head I think the cream pickups would look great.

Someone could please confirm me if these PU covers would fit into the ZM?

264ryo5.jpg

thanks a lot

Big D, I'm inclined to say a pair of cream Dimarzio 36ths because if you're modifying your guitar, let it be seen! I actually sort of regretted getting a black Dimarzio (it sounds great so it's staying) in my bridge because at first I wanted it to look stock (just like you) and then I got myself a cream neck pickup because I was just being crazy. Turned out to be pretty cool for me...

Someone could please confirm me if these PU covers would fit into the ZM?

264ryo5.jpg

thanks a lot
My measurements with calipers on the SE pickups are 50mm for the neck, 52 mm for the bridge. These covers measure 49.2mm and 52.7 mm. Some of the comments are saying they work on Korean made Epiphones, but I couldn't say for sure with the SE pickups. They're not exact. If it was me I'd go for these:

http://www.philadelphialuthiertools...ickup-cover-nickel-plated-nickel-silver-52mm/
http://www.philadelphialuthiertools...ickup-cover-nickel-plated-nickel-silver-50mm/

My measurements with calipers on the SE pickups are 50mm for the neck, 52 mm for the bridge. These covers measure 49.2mm and 52.7 mm. Some of the comments are saying they work on Korean made Epiphones, but I couldn't say for sure with the SE pickups. They're not exact. If it was me I'd go for these:

http://www.philadelphialuthiertools...ickup-cover-nickel-plated-nickel-silver-52mm/
http://www.philadelphialuthiertools...ickup-cover-nickel-plated-nickel-silver-50mm/

Thanks Jhon... I´m gonna check if the ship overseas

They do. They're a good bunch to deal with. They have an ebay shop.

Changed out the stock pu's in my Lowery. I liked the stock pu's but I've really been wanting to try the EMG HetSet found a set local unopened for a really good price. Running them through Guitar Rig they sound incredible I'm going to have an axe fx II coming soon so I cannot wait to run it through that and really see wht they sound like.

Excuse the crappy night picture

i also wired it up for 2 vol no tone.

Nice. I like the lampshades and black nickel covers on there. My birthday is later this month and I have some lampshade knobs on my birthday list for my Lowery.

Sweet. I am planning to put creme rings and zebra open coil pickups in mine in addition to the lampshades. This was the mockup I did of it:

2014-02-22135948.jpg

I have a zebra DiMarzio Steve's Special incoming for the bridge. The neck pickup is out of another SE. If those don't work tonally, I just also scored a set of round bobbin 59/09s off ebay that I would probably put some nickle covers on with the black rings, so it would look like this:

2014-02-22140123.jpg

Do you guy think it's worth it to get a SEE, then change

tuners to locking tuners
bridge to US PRS bridge
new nut
pick ups to US pick ups.
strap locks to schaller

it would be about $1000 in upgrades I expect.....

Do you guy think it's worth it to get a SEE, then change

tuners to locking tuners
bridge to US PRS bridge
new nut
pick ups to US pick ups.
strap locks to schaller

it would be about $1000 in upgrades I expect.....
I'm not sure what a SEE is?

I have upgraded a few SEs. I like SEs. They're great bang for the buck. However, the answer is, it depends.

Buy yourself a good used SE at a good deal, with some good used pickups, and a good used bridge (though it's arguable if that's really necessary), and maybe even good used tuners (they're definitely not necessary except for convenience), plus the nut and maybe better electronics, and do all the work yourself, and yeah! It's worth it.

Buy all that stuff brand new and pay a luthier to upgrade the guitar? No way*. My collecting and flipping has been modest compared to a lot of folks. I have owned 4 USA PRS guitars and I think 6 SEs in the last seven years. None of the SEs were as good as the USA guitars. There's a reason why people pay the extra for the USA ones. If you were to buy all that stuff new you'll spend as much as a very lightly used USA model or even a discounted new one. Or definitely a nice new S2. IMHO that's what I would choose every time.

*exceptions are out there including Hans' BMF or this Mushok

I'm not sure what a SEE is?

I have upgraded a few SEs. I like SEs. They're great bang for the buck. However, the answer is, it depends.

Buy yourself a good used SE at a good deal, with some good used pickups, and a good used bridge (though it's arguable if that's really necessary), and maybe even good used tuners (they're definitely not necessary except for convenience), plus the nut and maybe better electronics, and do all the work yourself, and yeah! It's worth it.

Buy all that stuff brand new and pay a luthier to upgrade the guitar? No way*. My collecting and flipping has been modest compared to a lot of folks. I have owned 4 USA PRS guitars and I think 6 SEs in the last seven years. None of the SEs were as good as the USA guitars. There's a reason why people pay the extra for the USA ones. If you were to buy all that stuff new you'll spend as much as a very lightly used USA model or even a discounted new one. Or definitely a nice new S2. IMHO that's what I would choose every time.

*exceptions are out there including Hans' BMF or this Mushok

I meant SE...was typing that on my iPad, and it auto corrected it to "SEE".

You are right, I like the Spalted Maple look, but i am looking at like £600/$900 in the UK for a new one of those as I can't see any second hand as yet which means what I had in mind would end up costing almost $2,000 as all the parts I required are mostly US based so subject to a tonne of import tax in the process.....I want to learn about doing it all and reluctant to mess about with my new CU24.

I need to replace the nut on my SE Tremonti from 2003 - should I go for a US PRS nut, or a Tusq XL? If tusq XL, which one should I buy?

Back