SE Mikael Akerfeldt

maestromatt

Been looking at these because I'm into singlecuts, trying out a trem, and 24 frets is another thing I'd like to try, but i haven't been able to find one in a shop (new or used) near me. Anyone out there have one and care to share some details..? Thanks

Been looking at these because I'm into singlecuts, trying out a trem, and 24 frets is another thing I'd like to try, but i haven't been able to find one in a shop (new or used) near me. Anyone out there have one and care to share some details..? Thanks
I had one for about a month. It was very nice. Ebony was good. The neck was alot bigger than my 2007 SE Singlecut. I wasn't too happy about that. The guitar sounded fine, but still not as good as my 2007 SE. One big turn off was that color. The quilt is barely visible in even the best light. I took it back to GC and got a SE 245. It was similar, but somehow I preferred it to the Akerfeldt.

How much bigger was the neck? I have an SE Singlecut already as well and the neck suits me quite well.

I have an Akerfeldt. I quite like it. Interesting comment about the neck - it feels like a Wide-Fat neck to me. No worse than my SE ZM or HB Spruce. Maybe I need to do some back-to-back (neck-to-neck?) comparisons this weekend, if I remember...

Admittedly the figured maple veneer is not out of this world, but the flame on mine is pretty obvious:

IMG_9315LR_1024_zpsf93a6482.jpg

I don't recall seeing any quilted tops, but they may have changed the veneer style over the years like they did with the Paul Allender (went from a quilt look to a flame look). There could be a huge variation in the quality of the top, I suppose. So it would be ideal to see it either in person or get photos before purchasing.

I quite like playing my Akerfeldt, although recently it has taken a back seat to my other PRSi for various reasons. Maybe I'll play it a bunch this weekend!

Crap. I just realized I had the Akesson...damn European names!

Nevermind...

Crap. I just realized I had the Akesson...damn European names!

Nevermind...

Ah, now that is almost a completely different guitar! Stop-tail bridge, 22 frets, hog neck, no Opeth logo...

And yeah, looking around Google images, the quilted top can be quite variable in how showy it appears.

The Akesson is the best SE model out there for the control layout and bridge. The necks are a bit "fat", and they weigh a lot. I like the birds and ebony, though.

Back