SE McCarty 594 vs S2 McCarty 594…worth the price difference?

Shane Cormier

Curious as to whether or not to spend the extra or go for the SE? Seem to be ease to the same save for country of origin and sold maple top. All input appreciated.

I have 5 used S2s including a former 594 thinline which I'm back in the hunt for...great value....I had an SE Mira and 245 that I dug alot and they're great guitars but I think overall the S2 feel better in my hands ....not sure if that helps but just my experience ...

I give them 2 years before all of the s2 joins the CE line in using core level electronics. And with it a bump in price but still half the price of a core.

But at this very moment worth the difference? Honestly probably not. Unless you demand no veneer and more unique finishes.

I am in the same dilemma. I own an S2 Custom 22 standard that I prefer over any of the core models I have tried or owned. It feels and plays that well. Also have an older S2 singlecut semi-hollow that just has that thing. Own an SE 245 that is not quite up to the level of the S2’s. It plays so effortlessly with the lowest of action of any guitar I have ever owned though. Korean model. Decisions. Oh well.

Also have an older S2 singlecut semi-hollow that just has that thing. Own an SE 245 that is not quite up to the level of the S2’s. It plays so effortlessly with the lowest of action of any guitar I have ever owned though. Korean model.
My stable is similar: a '22 S2 McCarty 594 SC, '11 Korean SE 245 & '14 Korean SE 245 Soapbar. All great, especially the S2 and Soapie. The S2 just sings and sustains forever. The soapie is 'a nasty dirty girl' (@dmatthews description). Both of the 245's also have very low action. All were used, 2 in like new condition, and the total was not much more than a new S2.

Advice: Try out both if possible and consider a used S2 594 for about the same price as a new SE 594.

I would say that if you one of the limited finish options on the SE then go for it. I really suspect that there is minimal overall quality difference and the SE does have a carved top more similar to the core.

I have been interested in adding a SC version but tbh the difference in the top carve being bevelled vs violin carve like the core just puts me off the S2... so me, I am more interested in the SE

I've played multiple SE and the S2 is worth it, especially watching the used market 594 prices. SE is a good guitar but even before grabbing either off the wall you can see the difference.

I would say that if you one of the limited finish options on the SE then go for it. I really suspect that there is minimal overall quality difference and the SE does have a carved top more similar to the core.

I have been interested in adding a SC version but tbh the difference in the top carve being bevelled vs violin carve like the core just puts me off the S2... so me, I am more interested in the SE
That bevel might not appeal to you visually, but it is very comfortable.

S2 carve is very comfortable. I have seen some call it toilet seat like.

I hope over time it becomes less pronounced. They smoothed out the S2 594 single cuts some in 2023 toward the toggle

Back