SE McCarty 594 vs S2 McCarty 594…worth the price difference?

S2 carve is very comfortable. I have seen some call it toilet seat like.

I hope over time it becomes less pronounced. They smoothed out the S2 594 single cuts some in 2023 toward the toggle
I find standing theyre very comfy as I rest my right arm on the edge...that with the pattern regular neck on my Standard 22s, mira and vela theyre great!

I find them very comfortable. I wish aesthetically they were smoother curves. I don’t mind if they have a deeper carve than the cores. I actually find it more comfortable.

With like-for-like models I will always take the S2 because it is fundamentally a better guitar in terms of raw materials, finish, and workmanship. Pickups and electronics are just as easy to upgrade on SE or S2, but those fundamentals are not going to change.

SE knocks it out of the park with aesthetics, though. Nice inlays, veneers with the slightly carved top, binding. In that way it feels closer to the core experience vs. the S2.

You can't really lose either way. I think it's more a matter of which experience will make you happiest.

With like-for-like models I will always take the S2 because it is fundamentally a better guitar in terms of raw materials, finish, and workmanship. Pickups and electronics are just as easy to upgrade on SE or S2, but those fundamentals are not going to change.

SE knocks it out of the park with aesthetics, though. Nice inlays, veneers with the slightly carved top, binding. In that way it feels closer to the core experience vs. the S2.

You can't really lose either way. I think it's more a matter of which experience will make you happiest.
Do you feel that the mahogany, maple and rosewood used in the SE is inferior to the mahogany, maple and rosewood used in the S2 guitars?

I don't know the answer. I'm just asking.

Last edited:
Do you think the team that builds the S2 is better trained and knows something that the team that builds the SE do not?

Or that the mahogany and maple used in the SE is inferior to the mahogany and maple used in the S2 guitars?

I don't know the answer. I'm just asking.

Yes and yes. Not a knock on the SE range, and to be fair I've yet to play any of the newer Cor-Tek models, but you'll be hard pressed to beat the wood sourcing/processing and the level of skill at the Maryland factory.

At this point, I’m not even sure why the S2 line exists anymore. The SEs are now so good that I often think they are better than S2s. And Cores makes sense, because they are the best electric guitars ever made. But what’s the point of the S2 now that SEs are so good (and Cores WAY better)? Well, I am sure some prefer S2 guitars over everything else so I suppose I am answering my own question. But I would go SE over S2. And obviously Core over both.

At this point, I’m not even sure why the S2 line exists anymore. The SEs are now so good that I often think they are better than S2s. And Cores makes sense, because they are the best electric guitars ever made. But what’s the point of the S2 now that SEs are so good (and Cores WAY better)? Well, I am sure some prefer S2 guitars over everything else so I suppose I am answering my own question. But I would go SE over S2. And obviously Core over both.
If the SE's had the Core pickups they'd sound about as good as the Core models. It'd be a no brainer deciding on a Core DGT or a SE DGT if they had the same pickups.

Would that start to eliminate the Core models? I'd hope not. But it might.

If the SE's had the Core pickups they'd sound about as good as the Core models. It'd be a no brainer deciding on a Core DGT or a SE DGT if they had the same pickups.

Would that start to eliminate the Core models? I'd hope not. But it might.
Personally, I really don’t think so. I am sure I am in the minority, but I think the pickups are the least important thing in Core PRS guitars.

That’s right, the LEAST important.

I have never shied from putting pickups into guitars that cost more than the guitar itself. (I still enjoy putting Core pickups in my SEs). And guess what I have found? That they always improve the sound quite a bit.

But even then, they do not get close to the truly great guitars (by any great builder). You can’t make an SE a Core by swapping parts. Sure, anything can be recorded to sound like anything. But when you play the damned things yourself you realize that they are worlds apart.

It’s kind of like the new Epiphones. They are very good. I enjoy them. They often have Gibson USA electronics. But are they close to Gibson Custom Shop? No.

Cores will always be safe. They are simply that great.

And SEs are very popular for good reason. They seem to just keep getting better (which is reflected in the prices). But what about the S2 line? It’s kind of weird. I suppose they are like Gibson Tribute series and Fender Performer series guitars. Some people swear by them. But I don’t really get it.

Last edited:
Personally, I really don’t think so. I am sure I am in the minority, but I think the pickups are the least important thing in Core PRS guitars.

I have never shied from putting pickups into guitars that cost more than the guitar itself. (I still enjoy putting Core pickups in my SEs). And guess what I have found? That they always improve the sound quite a bit.

But even then, they do not get close to the truly great guitars (by any great builder). You can’t make an SE a Core by swapping parts. Sure, anything can be recorded to sound like anything. But when you play the damned things yourself you realize that they are worlds apart.

It’s kind of like the new Epiphones. They are very good. I enjoy them. They often have Gibson USA electronics. But are they close to Gibson Custom Shop? No.

And SEs are very popular for good reason. They seem to just keep getting better (which is reflected in the prices). But what about the S2 line? It’s kind of weird. I suppose they are like Gibson Tribute series and Fender Performer series guitars. Some people swear by them. But I don’t really get it.

I largely agree with this. I've only owned one SE electric, an SE EG. It was a fine guitar for what it was, but I moved it along. It just felt like a somewhat generic import guitar, albeit without any quality issues.

For me, the Core line is what I want. I've got five of them, plus a Silver Sky. They feel, play, sound, and look great. I don't even consider the SEs and the S2s don't have a lot of appeal to me. If I were in a different place in life, I might see things differently.

The entire PRS guitar line presents a very modern marketing mix, right now. It's designed to have something at most every price point. It encourages consumers to move one step further up the product line than they'd intended. Be that from something outside of it (like a Squier to an SE), an SE to an S2, etc. The idea is to offer something just a bit better at each price point, but not so much better that it feeds buyers' remorse. It creates an entry that's affordable. It encourages people to stay within the PRS brand.

I'm sure with ten years of S2 sales data and twenty years of SE data, PRS is well aware of how the lines interact with each other over the long-term. I think the SE Silver Sky and US Silver Sky gave them the confidence to introduce the 594 and DGT across all three lines. I do wonder what it'll do to the S2s, and whether if the S2 line has fewer sales would allow for production capacity to shift towards the Core backlog. (Is there an S2 backlog?)

The whole thing is interesting to me. It'll be fun to see how it plays out.

I've owned a seven Korean SE guitars and modded most of them with high-end electronics and pickups. None of them were close to the caliber of a Core and they fall a step short of S2*, of which I've owned two and modded with high end electronics and pickups. I might even take a modified S2 over equivalent Core because the beveled top is sooooo comfy.

Now, this might have all changed with the dedicated Cort factory for SE. I'll have to drag myself into temptation at a guitar store to see for myself. That SE 594 Singlecut Standard has been calling out to me. :)

Again I'll add the disclaimer that I'm not knocking SE, it's just that S2 and Core guitars are so good.

*Except for the SE One. Best SE model ever. :cool:

Nicely done sir!!
Well, I just ordered an S2 594 double-cut in some kind of translucent black and supposedly excellent condition. Guess I’m going with an S2.
Just got off the phone with Guitar Center. After further inspection while packing it, they found a 3 1/2 inch chip on the edge of the guitar. At least the salesman did call. That was good of him. Was supposed to be in excellent condition, but apparently not. So off on the hunt again.

I feel much more drawn to the S2 models these days. I think the Vela is about the coolest guitar PRS has ever made, and I doubt I’d even be interested in a Core version of that guitar because I’m kinda over the 10-top/birds/violin-carve thing. I think the beveled body carve of the S2 line looks great and it’s certainly more comfortable than the violin carve of my CE-22. Plus I just love the ultra-thin satin nitro finishes. If I could get that finish in a solid mahogany 594 with a Pattern Regular or Pattern Vintage neck and dot inlays I’d be super tempted. But I’d probably be nearly as happy with a used S2 Singlecut Standard Satin.

I don’t have a lot of experience with the SE’s but I did play an SE Silver Sky and was pretty blown away by that. I bet the SE 594’s and DGT’s are killer as well, and I might be tempted if it wasn’t for the bird inlays. I still dream of finding a killer deal on an SE One. The Core models are obviously ridiculously great guitars but again, birds are a deal breaker for me, and I really can’t justify the price since I’m pretty much a hobbyist at this point. Plus I still think the best Core model they ever made was the CE-22. I guess I’m just weird lol. But yeah the S2 line is the sweet spot for me. I just wish they’d offer dot inlays as an option.

I feel much more drawn to the S2 models these days. I think the Vela is about the coolest guitar PRS has ever made, and I doubt I’d even be interested in a Core version of that guitar because I’m kinda over the 10-top/birds/violin-carve thing. I think the beveled body carve of the S2 line looks great and it’s certainly more comfortable than the violin carve of my CE-22. Plus I just love the ultra-thin satin nitro finishes. If I could get that finish in a solid mahogany 594 with a Pattern Regular or Pattern Vintage neck and dot inlays I’d be super tempted. But I’d probably be nearly as happy with a used S2 Singlecut Standard Satin.

I don’t have a lot of experience with the SE’s but I did play an SE Silver Sky and was pretty blown away by that. I bet the SE 594’s and DGT’s are killer as well, and I might be tempted if it wasn’t for the bird inlays. I still dream of finding a killer deal on an SE One. The Core models are obviously ridiculously great guitars but again, birds are a deal breaker for me, and I really can’t justify the price since I’m pretty much a hobbyist at this point. Plus I still think the best Core model they ever made was the CE-22. I guess I’m just weird lol. But yeah the S2 line is the sweet spot for me. I just wish they’d offer dot inlays as an option.
I have been tempted to get the S2 Singlecut Standard. Listen to it compared to the higher priced singlecut in the video below. Even though this one has bird inlays, most come with dots. But the SE DGT is very intriguing as well. So is the 594, that I have yet to play in an S2. Decisions.

Last edited:
The SEs are excellent guitars.
The S2s are incredible value American Made guitars.
The S2s are made from less pieces of wood, usually a plus.
Biggest difference I've seen between the S2 and the SE is the fretwork and the frets themselves.
The tops are usually nicer on SE models as its a veneer and not a solid figured top.
The backs on most S2 models I've seen are much nicer.
Both may do well with a pickup swap depending on your taste

I like having the S2 line for models that are unique to it like the Vela or the Mira and using the SE line for less expensive versions of the core models. I love McCartys but I don’t think we need different versions of it across 3 different quality levels.

Yes and yes. Not a knock on the SE range, and to be fair I've yet to play any of the newer Cor-Tek models, but you'll be hard pressed to beat the wood sourcing/processing and the level of skill at the Maryland factory.
I treasure my core models. They are works of art, but the quality and sound of the newer SE models are so close that I can’t justify paying five to six times that for a core model.

I have been tempted to get the S2 Singlecut Standard. Listen to it compared to the higher priced singlecut in the video below. Even thought this one has bird inlays, most come with dots. But the SE DGT is very intriguing as well. So is the 594, that I have yet to play in an S2. Decisions.

Yeah I like the Standard better. Much livelier sounding. Surprised how different it is actually.

PRS is really blurring the lines between the SE, S2, and Core in terms of quality and features. Is a Core better? Of course. Is an S2 better? Yup. Are they loads better..... nope.

Gone are the days of SE being a PRS knockoff guitar like when they first came out.

PRS is really blurring the lines between the SE, S2, and Core in terms of quality and features. Is a Core better? Of course. Is an S2 better? Yup. Are they loads better..... nope.

Gone are the days of SE being a PRS knockoff guitar like when they first came out.
I have owned two core models for fifteen years. My two SE models were purchased in the last year. The cores are beautiful and feel great to play. But the SE’s have personality. They aren’t as “perfect” as the core’s. But they sure are fun to play.

I'm telling you. In a few years watch the s2 going the CE in terms of electronics. So there will be an upgrade over the SE to justify the price point. I still say they will approach half a core. But I love the fact that newer SE's are getting improved pickups like the Silver Sky, DGT, Paul's, and 594.

I think SE's are great modding platforms. I've messed with plenty PRS over the years to know that S2 does have better quality workmanship over SE's. Heck even basic things like the screws are better. Seems silly but it's true. The SE's use cheaper alloy screws - so they are easy to strip. You won't have that issue with S2 and above. Cost cutting measure that most owners won't realize unless they are modding and taking things apart.

Back