SE Mark Holcomb Speculation

He definitely has a core 6 string and identical 7 string. They can be found on his Instagram. They also play in like 4 different tunings during a single show...or something crazy like that. So he has to have more than the 1.

Similar to Dustie Waring - he has multiple specialized Core models

If I'm remembering correctly this will be a thing.

My guitar teacher was talking about a new signature model SE coming out and I'm like 90% sure it was Mark Holcomb and it looks like the same color in the original post as the one he showed me (it was a picture of a core model and an SE, almost same finish).

He definitely has a core 6 string and identical 7 string. They can be found on his Instagram. They also play in like 4 different tunings during a single show...or something crazy like that. So he has to have more than the 1.

Four different tunings??? In one show?

Michael Manring uses more than that in about 25 seconds of this tune...

I kid, of course, but I've always been amazed at how Manring came up with this. He played with Michael Hedges for a long time, who was another extensive user of alternate tunings.

Four different tunings??? In one show?

Michael Manring uses more than that in about 25 seconds of this tune...

I kid, of course, but I've always been amazed at how Manring came up with this. He played with Michael Hedges for a long time, who was another extensive user of alternate tunings.

Hmm, looks like he's using the HipShot Xtenders, http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=6 , I wondered how good those worked and if you could use more than 1...

Now I wonder if they can be used with a D-Tuna, without the nut locked, and get multiple tunings per string o_O

On topic, I did see the Holcomb pic on FB a few days ago, got me pretty excited. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get in on one of the core models, I saw plenty for sale when I was actively looking, but none in Black Gold, so I gave up after a couple months. If an SE comes out, I'm snatching one up, lol, it's just too bad the Alpha and Omega pups are no more, but it would be a good candidate for a Nazgul/Sentient, Pegasus/Sentient, or Black Winter set :cool:

Last edited:
I would need to hear some clean tones before I commit.
Well there I go.

Of course, there's nothing stopping him from installing his own pickups in an SE -- I certainly would, if I were him -- he probably can get all the Alpha/Omega sets from SD he wants -- so would be curious which pickups he's using.

But still -- is that a charcoal grey PURPLEBURST?!?!? That looks more purple than any Holcomb.

I have enough purple guitars I have enough purple guitars I have enough purple guitars I have enough purple guitars I have enough...purple...guitars...(stammers to a halt, cries)...

Well there I go.

Of course, there's nothing stopping him from installing his own pickups in an SE -- I certainly would, if I were him -- he probably can get all the Alpha/Omega sets from SD he wants -- so would be curious which pickups he's using.

But still -- is that a charcoal grey PURPLEBURST?!?!? That looks more purple than any Holcomb.

I have enough purple guitars I have enough purple guitars I have enough purple guitars I have enough purple guitars I have enough...purple...guitars...(stammers to a halt, cries)...

You can't discount the 8th law of the sub universe. Said law simply states that you can NEVER have enough purple guitars. Justification given. Buy on!

Indeed, but until I get rid of some stuff, I can't even justify the room another guitar will take up.

So will make do with what I have...for now.

Well there I go.

Yep. I love the recent charcoal purple bursts. I like better than the charcoal cherry.

Mark said in the Revv Generator 120 demo on Misha's Facebook that the Alpha/Omega will be back production soon. I assume this means they will be released as a regular production model and not be produced in limited numbers in the custom shop again. This may mean we could see his Alpha/Omega pickups in his PRS SE signature.
The SE sig proto he is playing has those pickups in them, so that is another positive sign, although it is equally possible that he could have just replaced the stock pups with his sig pickups, however, if you're trying out an SE proto I would assume you'd try it out in its stock configuration.

Back