SE Mark Holcomb Speculation

Already got my pre order in yesterday! I did not know it came with locking tuners, that was a complete surprise as I was just reading the official specs on the sweet water site. I really hope that's not a typo, because the stock photo shows the regular se tuners. A guitar like that, with his sig pups and phase III locking tuners for $899 is an unbelievable value. Can't wait til I get my hands on one!

FYI - through tom'w (June 19), Sweetwater is running a Father's Day deal. You get an extra 10% on gift card purchases. Just saying...

Already got my pre order in yesterday! I did not know it came with locking tuners, that was a complete surprise as I was just reading the official specs on the sweet water site. I really hope that's not a typo, because the stock photo shows the regular se tuners. A guitar like that, with his sig pups and phase III locking tuners for $899 is an unbelievable value. Can't wait til I get my hands on one!

I was thinking the same thing too... Locking tuners and a $300 set of pickups (granted, wholesale cost on them is probably more like $100)? Hey, if they managed it, I'm not gonna complain.

I'm just sad I gotta wait till the 1st to place my order :(

If you take into account that a normal SE custom 24 goes for around $759 right now, adding those sig pickups and locking tuners, and then add the other features (ebony board, marks radius specs, scale length, new bridge etc...) that's an amazing price point. The more details we get, the more excited I am. This is shaping up to be possibly the greatest SE ever made! Looking forward to the official announcement. Should be any day now...
Also, another great thing about sweetwater is the ability to pick your top, which as we all know the veneers can be really hit or miss. The axe palace had a limited run a few months ago with "10" top quilt veneers which was really cool, hopefully these holcombs will also have some killer tops.

If you take into account that a normal SE custom 24 goes for around $759 right now, adding those sig pickups and locking tuners, and then add the other features (ebony board, marks radius specs, scale length, new bridge etc...) that's an amazing price point. The more details we get, the more excited I am. This is shaping up to be possibly the greatest SE ever made! Looking forward to the official announcement. Should be any day now...
Also, another great thing about sweetwater is the ability to pick your top, which as we all know the veneers can be really hit or miss. The axe palace had a limited run a few months ago with "10" top quilt veneers which was really cool, hopefully these holcombs will also have some killer tops.
Actually, the veneers from the same batch have a tendency to look very much alike, since they're cut more thinly. So I think they'll be all hit or ...no, I think they'll be all fine. That Axe Palace run came out great, didn't they? I don't think there's a single one I saw that was not great.

Also, I'm glad they went with Holcomb burst. I wonder if they'll be satin?

$300? Was that with the USB drive? Also, these will probably be mass produced, and the others were custom shop, so they will probably be designed to the same spec, but made more cheaply.

That's actually what I was thinking about since Mark first teased us with the photos, lol. I kept thinking, if they do use his pickups and locking tuners, it's going to push the price of this thing into S2 range... I was happy to see a sub $1k price though.

I'd still love to get my hands on his Core Sig in Black Gold, but funds are kinda tight for the next couple weeks with next week (Combat Vets Motorcycle Association Nationals.. A full week of riding, parties and concerts, lol)... There's actually a guy on one of the PRS FB groups who has one for sale, but I have to pass:(... But this SE will be just fine to fill that want of a stop tail 24 fret with killer pickups in it (the 25.5" scale length is awesome too, should make down tuning easier). I can give my regular SECU24 a break and use the MH as my C# beast :D

Yeah the axe palace run looked killer, all the examples I've seen. I also agree about the color choice, I think the Holcomb burst is a beautiful stain! As far as the veneers, with a factory as big as wmi, it's tough to say that they are all going to look similar as with all the other SE guitars, when sweetwater has a few of the same model in stock they all have a different grain pattern. But either way, like you said I'm sure they are going to be fine. There is something exciting about coming across a killer top and being able to select it, instead of leaving it to chance. I ordered a zach Myers about a year back, and when it arrived there was a wiring problem so I sent it back, which I wasn't too bummed about as the bookmatched veneer looked like 2 completely different colors and had barely and flame. Luckily the 2nd guitar had much nicer figuring and the stain took much better.

That's another good point, as one of my bands plays in drop c so it's coming from the factory exactly the way I'm going to utilize it. These things are going to fly off the shelf. I don't think I've ever been this excited about an SE, and I have quite a few
That's actually what I was thinking about since Mark first teased us with the photos, lol. I kept thinking, if they do use his pickups and locking tuners, it's going to push the price of this thing into S2 range... I was happy to see a sub $1k price though.

I'd still love to get my hands on his Core Sig in Black Gold, but funds are kinda tight for the next couple weeks with next week (Combat Vets Motorcycle Association Nationals.. A full week of riding, parties and concerts, lol)... There's actually a guy on one of the PRS FB groups who has one for sale, but I have to pass:(... But this SE will be just fine to fill that want of a stop tail 24 fret with killer pickups in it (the 25.5" scale length is awesome too, should make down tuning easier). I can give my regular SECU24 a break and use the MH as my C# beast :D
. They are, in my opinion the best guitars for their price point.

Here's the best pic I could find...
It seems as the stock photo has the regular tuners as stated above, but the specs say phase III tuners? Let's hope that's the case! Looking forward to any and all information/videos...
My speculation is there Will be an official announcement this week
image_zpsjxrfm0xf.jpeg

I already pre-ordered the guitar and was told they were expecting the first batch in 1-2 weeks, so really how much longer can it be? I'm really suprised nothing has come out yet, considering mark has been teasing it all over social media, and 2 different reputable stores have had a pre order and apparently already sold out....

Edit: I was thinking of Gen III Tremolos, not Phase III Tuners. >_<

Phase III tuners are just finally getting into the *Core* line...unless it was a special ordered batch, I can't imagine them being on SEs now.

Last edited:
Phase III tuners are just finally getting into the *Core* line...unless it was a special ordered batch, I can't imagine them being on SEs now.

What do you mean? I've had five core PRSs since 2012 and all of them have had phase III.

I saw a spec sheet from one of the dealers. It says phase III tuners for this guitar and a satin finished neck. Gotta sell some stuff to make room!

I love periphery and I love everything about his special edition axe, but really, it's just a made in Maryland Ibanez. Hahahaha. No just kidding, it's super PRS.

What do you mean? I've had five core PRSs since 2012 and all of them have had phase III.

I saw a spec sheet from one of the dealers. It says phase III tuners for this guitar and a satin finished neck. Gotta sell some stuff to make room!

You're right, I was thinking of the Gen III Trem which has only been PS since 2011 and only in Core so far I believe in the 58/15 Limited run. Sorry. I'm sick if that's a good enough excuse for the mixup in my brain. >_<

I still think the Phase III Tuners are an unlikely part to find on an SE though, unless it's a special order run or somethin'.

Back