SE Locking Tuners!

Hi @Shawn@PRS! I noticed that the only available locking tuners for the SE are Chrome hardware, but the new SE HollowBody II Piezo has Nickel hardware according to the specs on the website. Is it possible to get the locking tuners in a nickel finish?

Additionally, I'm curious as to the size of the tuner holes. Do they fit 10mm tuners?

We always use the term "nickel" because that's what we use for bridges and pickups, but the tuners are chrome plated.

We always use the term "nickel" because that's what we use for bridges and pickups, but the tuners are chrome plated.

Oh great! So the standard tuners that come with the SE Hollowbody II Piezo are also chrome plated? The only difference will be that these are locking. Same material?

Oh great! So the standard tuners that come with the SE Hollowbody II Piezo are also chrome plated? The only difference will be that these are locking. Same material?

The standard SE keys are chrome. The locking ones have the unplated brass tuner shaft and feel great, so I rate them a step up in quality over the regular SE tuners. They are very similar to the tuners on the S2 guitars.

The standard SE keys are chrome. The locking ones have the unplated brass tuner shaft and feel great, so I rate them a step up in quality over the regular SE tuners. They are very similar to the tuners on the S2 guitars.

Right on. Thank you Garrett! Looks like I'll be picking these up with the SE Hollowbody II Piezo \m/

Any chance on a set of locking tuners for a SE SVN? Or am I just missing them on the site? I'd hate to buy two sets just because I need one extra.

Just ordered a set of the tuners from the link above. Only question is, does the 10mm socket driver require a recessed socket? Found a multi-metric folding set and have yet to determine if the wrench socket depth will be adequate for both the non-locking SE tuners and the replacements...?

May need to dig into my Makita drill sockets and try to locate a 10 mm socket and use my multi-screwdriver, if the folding set can't cut the mustard...

Any chance on a set of locking tuners for a SE SVN? Or am I just missing them on the site? I'd hate to buy two sets just because I need one extra.

John Mann is your guy for 7-string locking keys.

Just ordered a set of the tuners from the link above. Only question is, does the 10mm socket driver require a recessed socket? Found a multi-metric folding set and have yet to determine if the wrench socket depth will be adequate for both the non-locking SE tuners and the replacements...?

May need to dig into my Makita drill sockets and try to locate a 10 mm socket and use my multi-screwdriver, if the folding set can't cut the mustard...

I've always used a deep well socket on tuners. Hand tight only.

I've always used a deep well socket on tuners. Hand tight only.

Where do you find deep well sockets? Might need to check with my local home improvement store again for a set of these....dang, couldn't think of the correct search words previously, now it'll be easier...

EDIT: Found a set of ¼" metric sockets. Will wait until Saturday then pick these up. Weird that there wasn't a set of socket wrenches in my toolkit at all. Thought I owned a set of SAE, just checked...nope...the ¼" metric set will do the job though...

Last edited:
Hello, I've just installed new sets of SE Locking tuners and it looks amazing! One question though, in prsguitar youtube (Link:
) he made a wraps around the tuning pegs on all strings. As far as I know you don't need to wrap the strings if you use the locking tuners so there's no slip in the tuning pegs thus improving the tuning stability. How do you guys think about this?

I put a set of theses on my ‘17 SE 245 (Korean). They work nicely, but there are a couple of very minor issues. I repurposed the stock screws as the ones that came with the tuning machines were a smaller diameter. The low “E” tuner won’t line up perfectly level, like the video shows. It’s off ever so slightly, but you don’t really notice unless you really look for it. Overall, they’re a nice upgrade.

Hi @Shawn@PRS, @Tucson Thump or anyone else that could help. I have just purchased the PRS SE locking tuners to put on a SE 277 Baritone. I read above that the low B string tuner will require modification to fit the .68 string. I am assuming this mod is just drilling out the post hole to be that bit larger. Is that the correct approach, and if so, to what size should I drill? .068 inches is 1.7272mm so should I go just big enough, like 1.8mm or all the way to say 2mm?

Hi @Shawn@PRS, @Tucson Thump or anyone else that could help. I have just purchased the PRS SE locking tuners to put on a SE 277 Baritone. I read above that the low B string tuner will require modification to fit the .68 string. I am assuming this mod is just drilling out the post hole to be that bit larger. Is that the correct approach, and if so, to what size should I drill? .068 inches is 1.7272mm so should I go just big enough, like 1.8mm or all the way to say 2mm?
Sorry, I have the original tuners so I can't help. Good Luck!
Was your search for just the guitar or along with the guitar and locking tuners? Another post may say.

I'd take a couple minutes and just call John Mann. When it comes to the locking tuners, he taught the gurus what they know.

Back