SE Kingfisher truss rod tool

Teaburner

Hi all

I just purchased a SE Kingfisher bass used from a Sam Ash near me. Unfortunately they didn't have the gig bag or any tools it originally came with.

Does anyone know what size truss rod tool it takes? There is a disappointing lack of info about this bass on the PRS main site.

It uses the metric PRS SE truss rod tool. You should be able to find one readily...PRS online shop, for example.

It seems from what I have been able to gather it is 7 mm. I wish they would just list that spec somewhere. I would order it straight from them but they require a 20 dollar min purchase, and the tool is only 5 and change. I found a 7 mm wrench on Amazon, hopefully it will work.

You can always just grab your handy set of metric socket wrenches in 1/4" drive (everyone has one. And if you don't, go out tomorrow and buy a set!) and use the tiny breaker bar instead of a ratchet. It sounds like a ton of tools and complexity to do a simple job, right? It is, which is why you get the right tool for the job. eBay is your friend.

Just sharing some info about my Kingfisher bass.
I purchased a nice used one form Dave Guitar Shop in La Crosse, Wisconsin. Great place.
The quality of the wood, natural Ash finish, was very good. Neck thru body was nice.
The pickups are terrible. Big hum no matter what I did. And these are supposed to be humbucking pickups. They were also somewhat microphonic.
As others have mentioned, the volume pots are a waste of time. It seems that the Korean manufacturer cuts costs by putting crap electronics in otherwise a nice guitar. I find it "very interesting" that none of the reiviews on line made mention of the hum and the lousy potsI
Did they get altered models for review ?
I have replaced the stock pickups with EMG passive 35 HZ. What a difference !The fit perfectly. Dead quiet. Probably the quietest bass I have.
The pickups come with new pots and no-solder connectors. Pretty easy if you take your time and follow the very detailed color instructions.
By the way, the stock knobs will not fit on the new pots. Keep that in mind. Korean pots are almost always smaller.
New pups sound great with plenty of mids. You might actually cut them on your amp.
Well worth the effort in time and $$$$ for a great result. Should sound great in the studio. We will see.
Other basses I own: 1977 BC Rich Eagle with Guild humbuckers, 1975 Ibanez Black Eagle with DiMarzio stacked single coils,and a Fender American Elite Jazz in white.

I purchased a nice used one form Dave Guitar Shop in La Crosse, Wisconsin. Great place.
The quality of the wood, natural Ash finish, was very good. Neck thru body was nice.
The pickups are terrible. Big hum no matter what I did. And these are supposed to be humbucking pickups. They were also somewhat microphonic.
As others have mentioned, the volume pots are a waste of time. It seems that the Korean manufacturer cuts costs by putting crap electronics in otherwise a nice guitar. I find it "very interesting" that none of the reiviews on line made mention of the hum and the lousy potsI
I have replaced the stock pickups with EMG passive 35 HZ. What a difference !The fit perfectly. Dead quiet. Probably the quietest bass I have.
The pickups come with new pots and no-solder connectors. Pretty easy if you take your time and follow the very detailed color instructions.
By the way, the stock knobs will not fit on the new pots. Keep that in mind. Korean pots are almost always smaller.
New pups sound great with plenty of mids. You might actually cut them on your amp.
Well worth the effort in time and $$$$ for a great result. Should sound great in the studio. We will see.
Other basses I own: 1977 BC Rich Eagle with Guild humbuckers, 1975 Ibanez Black Eagle with DiMarzio stacked single coils,and a Fender American Elite Jazz in white.
Is it their soapbar type that fit in the kingfisher?

Yes, they fit perfectly. Never had used EMG stuff before. Very impressed with the attention to detIail. The pups are very average output , 7.3 k ohms or so but way better than thecstock ones.

Maybe the original owner played around with it. I have a Kingfisher - no hum at all. The pots could be better - there's a spot where the volume jump is a tad dramatic, but I haven't taken the time to swap them out.

My Kingfisher has no issues with the pups or volume/tone pots. No hum, clean as can be. Got mine used from GC, no case (which was no issue, I have a HSC that it fits into perfectly!) PRS controls which electronics go into their Korean made guitars, so I don't think they are poor quality on purpose. Weird that you have the issues you do with the pups and controls. Dave's is usually good about making sure stuff is in good shape before sending out.

Back