SE Kestrel and Kingfisher Basses

One!
Dealer just called, it came in Tuesday, picking it up today after work.
NGD thread Friday.
No...with all the anticipation you've been building up with us, you are hereby commanded to create a NGD thread after playing with your new bass for no more than 1 hour. I expect a report posted before midnight.

:evil:

Last edited:
No...with all the anticipation you've been building up with us, you are hereby commanded to create a NGD thread after playing with your new bass for no more than 1 hour. I expect a report posted before midnight.

:evil:
He he he, sorry, no time.
Gotta be in bed in a few hours to get up early for work.
I have Friday off to make it a four day weekend, so Friday I will put up a new thread.

I just played it for around five minutes unplugged, it sure feels nice.
Tech forgot to put on my EB Cobalts. so I am heading back Friday and the store owner will put them on for me.
They did do a full setup on it though with the stock strings.

This thing sits on my lap very well and is soooooooo comfortable for a bass.
Gotta get use to the looooooooooooooooong neck though ;)
The finish on it looks great, and it is a nice tight fit in the Grainger case.
In fact the finish on it is much nicer than the pics you see around the Web, much glossier, it is very pretty.
The SE gig bag is a brownish color too, not the maroon like color the SE guitars ship with.

Here are a few sneak peek pics taken with my new iPad.
Friday the whole family will be up on the wall for a group pic.

sneak_peek1.jpg

sneak_peek2.jpg

He he he, sorry, no time.
Gotta be in bed in a few hours to get up early for work.
I have Friday off to make it a four day weekend, so Friday I will put up a new thread.

I just played it for around five minutes unplugged, it sure feels nice.
Tech forgot to put on my EB Cobalts. so I am heading back Friday and the store owner will put them on for me.
They did do a full setup on it though with the stock strings.

This thing sits on my lap very well and is soooooooo comfortable for a bass.
Gotta get use to the looooooooooooooooong neck though ;)
The finish on it looks great, and it is a nice tight fit in the Grainger case.
In fact the finish on it is much nicer than the pics you see around the Web, much glossier, it is very pretty.
The SE gig bag is a brownish color too, not the maroon like color the SE guitars ship with.

Here are a few sneak peek pics taken with my new iPad.
Friday the whole family will be up on the wall for a group pic.

sneak_peek1.jpg

sneak_peek2.jpg
Congrats. So how big are the frets on these? I don't really care for the smaller frets on the SE guitars in general. Are these jumbos?

Thanks guys.
Not sure about the fret size, but it is pretty easy to play.

I did try it out some more before bed yesterday plugged into the little Roland Microcube bass, and it sounded great, including that little amp.
Almost scared to plug it into the bigger 12" speaker equipped Hartke later on.

Thanks Wedge.
Yes, the hard part is the wait :D
I had it timed out pretty good though when I started my 3 2 1 count earlier in the week.
It usually takes about seven days to get here when it ships from Maryland, and it took six days this time.

If anyone lives in the area here, he has a tri-color sunburst Kestrel that came in the same time as mine, and he has more Kingfishers on order which should land the first week of October.

One thing on the Grainger hardshell case though, the upper bout where the strap pin is the wood carve does not allow it to fit into the case flat, and you have to push down the lid to engage the locks.
Not sure if I can carve away at the foam in there or not, or if it will compress over time allowing the bout to lay in better, but it deff is not an exact fit for it.
I will get a picture of that when I take some for my new thread.

Nice looking bass! Now you're going to need a new chart to hang behind it for all the bass chords you can play...

:vroam:

I love the look of the natural wood. When I buy one of these (and it is a when, not an if), this is the model and finish I will get. Unless PRS comes out with some other alternate before I pull the trigger, like a 5-string version. Hit hint.

Thanks!
I am very impressed with the finish on this.
Stand by for the new thread when I get some really good close up pics of the front and back.
I like the contrasting colors on the back of the neck.

This guitar is going to get a good workout this holiday weekend for sure.
Going to try the Hartke amp too along with my pedal board and the EHX fuzz pedal.

One thing on the Grainger hardshell case though, the upper bout where the strap pin is the wood carve does not allow it to fit into the case flat, and you have to push down the lid to engage the locks.
Not sure if I can carve away at the foam in there or not, or if it will compress over time allowing the bout to lay in better, but it deff is not an exact fit for it.
I had a big head strat that did not fit right away but over a week or so the foam compressed to fit it well, and was nice and snug so you should be all set.

Corey - that is an exceedingly good-looking bass. Really dig it in natural. I have ZERO justification for one of these - for the little home recording I do, my 80s MIJ Roadstar II P&J suits me just fine...so I am going to attempt to pass the gas...maybe chant "I won't buy one" over and over again.

Looking forward to the tone report as well as an updated wall shot!

I have ZERO justification for one of these - for the little home recording I do, my 80s MIJ Roadstar II P&J suits me just fine...so I am going to attempt to pass the gas...maybe chant "I won't buy one" over and over again.

So when does yours arrive?

Back