SE Kestrel and Kingfisher Basses

CantankerousCarl

Occasionally Onery Member
I couldn't find a post on this before, sorry if this is redundant.

Per Sweetwater, looks like both are 4 string, alder-bodied affairs with neck-through maple/walnut necks & rosewood fingerboards. Hipshot bridges. No pics yet.

Kestrel has 2 single coils & comes in Tri-Color Sunburst and Black

Kingfisher has 2 humbuckers & comes in Natural & Tortoise Shell

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=prs+se&sb=popular&pn=3

I don't play bass alot...but when I do lay down those scratch tracks, it looks like my 1986 MIJ Ibby Roadstar Bass may be sitting a few sessions out!

Last edited:
Great, like I didn't have enough GAS for all the other PRS products, along comes something to replace my tired (and kinda lousy) P-bass copies.

I guess I'll put that on the list right after the 7-string, which is right after or beside the Akerfeldt, which follows the Spalted Maple ZM (which is pre-order!). Eventually there is a P24 in there too, and a SAS, or maybe 305, or...

:biggrin:

Very cool, have been wanting an SE bass for awhile now.
Need more info on specs for the humbucker one though, as does it have a blend control for the pickups, or a toggle.
I prefer the former for a bass.

Need more info on specs for the humbucker one though, as does it have a blend control for the pickups, or a toggle.

The site says "2 x volume, 1 x tone" for both models. I suppose all specs are subject to change though.

Whoa, nice scoop Carl. We knew about the Kestrel from previous photos, but I had no idea about the Kingfisher. If they're really neck-thru, I may have to consider one of these.

I wonder how the sound compared to a Rick?

The listing seems to be gone. Weird - maybe a case of premature pre-listing...)

Well, I may be cutting back on caffeine, but the SKUs WERE there, should've gotten a screen cap. Sounds like they also have a ZM in a Vintage SB Quilt which tickles me something fierce, esp. if the back is red.

FWIW I know we cannot talk price, but they looked to be selling right about where one would expect them to be...

If they do put the se basses back up, I may have to get a second job. Would be nice to play some bass again. I miss my Warwick nt bubinga......

Looked and didn't see them....but did spy an SE 245 soapbar in black. Man that would look good with all gold hardware :eek:

Jim

Damn damn damn. Can't even find photos now, but the GAS is strong with this one....:cheers:

If PRS comes out with a Neck-thru American bass, I'll be TOTALLY boned.

If you do a Google search, at least one or two things come up...so it was up long enough to get indexed somewhere in da interwebs...

Yeah, definitely. Multiple websites with seemingly the same info pulled... It looks promising. :fingerscrossed:

I did notice a se Floyd in Trampas Green and Santana Yellow. I was also just looking at the website and noticed the ZM is now available in Vintage sunburst now also (if this is been known, I'm sorry, I've been out of the loop for awhile.)

Back