SE is to S2 as Squier is to Fender?

PDC

I'll be right back...
SE is to S2/CE as Squier is to Fender or Epiphone is to Gibson?

Are we lucky that the Asian made PRS guitars are still called PRS?

When we have a PRS SE do we have a second rate PRS?

I have several PRS SE guitars and I think they are great guitars, I think much more highly of them than I think of Squier or Epiphone. But is some of that because of the PRS name?

PRS’ core line is their main offering, so I’d be comparing those models as the standard. But...huge BUT...my SEs are gigged and loved as much as my core guitars, so don’t ask me. When I pickup an entry-level Epi then my SE245, there's NO comparison. Many brands had their flagship guitars built on the same production line as the SEs for several years. Haven’t bought one in a few years but PRS’ quality standard has always been there.

There are some great Squier guitars. But usually you need to find the right model and the right years of manufacture.

My experience with SE guitars is that are consistently and predictably great.

To me, S2 guitars are US-made SEs with better wood, frets and nuts. And that is meant as a compliment.

Last edited:
No, not in my view. The comparison only has one parallel. The SE is the entry level PRS and an Epi or a Squier are entry level guitars for G or F. But that is where the comparison ends. I heard Paul once say something akin to, "SE's aren't designed to be cheap guitars. SE's are the best guitar we could make at that price point." So and SE will get birds, or enhanced pickups, or anything that will make the guitar better. The constraint is to keep it at an entry level price point, but no other limit on what they can become. Some thought when SE's started getting the PSR signature, or better pickups, or birds, that PRS was making a mistake because they were getting too close to core models, but we can see that Paul's words were accurate. They will make the best guitar they can at a given price point.

That is why SE's are often gigged, have great tone, last for lifetimes, and look spectacular. They are the best guitar in their class, period.

My understanding is that they are manufactured according to Paul’s specifications. If they can’t produce an instrument to that spec, the overseas manufacturer loses the contract.

I have a core Std22 (made in the 90’s) and an SE One. If I had not known the SE One was made overseas, I would not have guessed that it didn’t come from Maryland. I agree with the above statement - SE is the best guitar in its price bracket.

SE is to S2/CE as Squier is to Fender or Epiphone is to Gibson?

Are we lucky that the Asian made PRS guitars are still called PRS?

When we have a PRS SE do we have a second rate PRS?

I have several PRS SE guitars and I think they are great guitars, I think much more highly of them than I think of Squier or Epiphone. But is some of that because of the PRS name?

I don't think that's the apples-to-apples comparison here.

PRS core guitars are more or less similar to Gibson or Fender Custom shop guitars.

S2 is more akin to Fender American Factory guitars (Performer & Ultra lines). On the other hand, it's hard to compare it to the Gibson line. e.g., an S2 594 is a better guitar (and slightly more expensive) than a Gibson Les Paul Studio, but it's less expensive than a Les Paul Standard or Traditional, which have more expensive cosmetics but are otherwise quite similar in quality. So you're somewhere in that main Gibson factory range.

PRS SE guitars are priced similarly to Fender's "Player" series (Made in Mexico) or Gibson's better Epiphone offerings (e.g., the "Epiphone Inspired by Gibson" line). I would list consider "good enough for professional use, a guitar which will last your entire life.")

Whereas Squiers are really something else - the best ones are good starter guitars but they're guitars you should expect to grow out of.

Back