"SE" indication

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MayPRS, Apr 14, 2021.

1. MayPRS

MayPRS New Member

Probably too much time to spare today but here it goes. :)

Not trying to start a thread "right vs wrong", "company A vs company B" or policies but always wondered why PRS puts the "SE" indication on the headstock. The logical answer is "man, is to clearly states USA vs overseas building", "to prevent fake-USA guitars build on SE guitars", etc etc.

Looking at some other big names like Fender on headstock face you don't clearly see any distinction between a overseas vs USA models, at least not written - perhaps on small details like truss rod cover material or lettering colour but no "Fender Stratocaster MEX" or "Fender Telecaster SE". Besides the Squier brand, they use "Fender" on headstock all through the range (at least as I'm aware of).

PRS made a great move by adding the same Paul signature to the headstock but it still kept that "SE" underneath.

Anyway I'm bored I guess... :D

#1 MayPRS, Apr 14, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    aphantomvaper and dogrocketp like this.
  2. SinSir

SinSir Mad Scientist

They originally started out as student editions (SE) then morphed into what we know today. If one is concerned with SE on the headstock they can pony up the cash and be SE free. A s2 isnt much more and if you go used they can be the same or cheaper.

I prefer the headstock of my 30th SE without PRS on the headstock. I've never been wrapped with brand or titles.

3. MayPRS

MayPRS New Member

You make an excellent point ;)

SinSir likes this.
  4. Ovibos

Ovibos Naughty Wood Librarian

“It’s a fine‐line process,” states Jack Higginbotham, PRS COO (and prime mover behind both the SE and S2 lines), diplomatically.

“It started with the new headstock logo [originally seen on the 2017 SE models]. I wanted to say we’re the same company. We’re not a different company, so I wanted the Paul Reed Smith logo with the SE as a suffix. But, you have to be careful not to get too close.
    https://www.musicradar.com/news/the-story-of-prss-se-guitar-line

Ibanez now does something similar with Gio. (Although I would say this are much lower-end models than the SEs)

Conversely, ESP's naming is an absolute mess:
    - LTD
    - E-II
    - ESP
    - Edwards
    - Grassroots
    - Navigator

I like Jack's approach. The halo of the core models lifts up the SEs and it feels like a continuum you can move along - like how the halo of the Corvette works for Chevrolet.

aphantomvaper, MayPRS and bodia like this.
  5. jak3af3r

jak3af3r Jake

I actually have a squier with a factory Fender logo from when they were built in Mexico.

dogrocketp likes this.
  6. SinSir

SinSir Mad Scientist

If only my points could be as good as PRS guitars! :)

MayPRS likes this.
  7. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc “Evil” Sergio. You can tell by the goatee

I mean, SE’s are basically Squiers.

And I don’t mean that in a disparaging way.

dogrocketp and Alnus Rubra like this.
  8. John Beef

John Beef Opaque

:D I owned a Chevy van once and it was such a POS, would consequently never own a Corvette or any other GM product. So, I guess it goes both ways. Luckily SEs are pretty great guitars.

dogrocketp, DISTORT6, bodia and 2 others like this.
  9. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

Did you give a girl a ride in your wagon? Did she crawl in and take control?

Alnus Rubra, 68reissue and bodia like this.
  10. Wakester

Wakester Re Member

Just my point of view, and seeings how we are using car analogies:

The Dodge Stealth and the Mitsubishi 3000ES were the same car. Same parts, different factories. In case of SE's, S2's and from what understand, some CE''s, same parts different factories, Same Quality, Same PRS.

Or, One Team, One Fight

bodia likes this.
  11. aphantomvaper

aphantomvaper New Member

I have a Squire with a "Made in USA" on the headstock from...1990? Anyway, it was the worst of them all with a neck misalignment leaning to the treble strings. I was so green back then it wasn't discovered until I took it to a tech.

My SE have been perfect, and I love the signature head stocks.

dogrocketp likes this.
  12. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

Well I love my Squier, so thank you kindly.

13. Wakester

Wakester Re Member

I had a Squier Standard Fat Strat that was top of the line for the series. The headstock said Squier, but the bridge, pickups and tuners all said Fender. I was able to set the action super low and could do some amazing stuff with the 2 pin trem. I would buy another one, but there are none like that one to be found in the market places.

aphantomvaper likes this.
  14. sergiodeblanc

I love mine too.

Alnus Rubra likes this.
  15. SinSir

SinSir Mad Scientist

Keeping with the squier theme. I've had plenty of squiers and some were damn good guitars. I've owned the MIM squier and honestly when I got my first USA strat I still kept my classic vibe for years. I couldnt part with it. Partially cause of sentimental but mostly because it was too good of a guitar to sell for the money I'd get. My squire experience was probably the first reality smack that what it says on the headstock doesn't determine if it's a good guitar or not.

16. MayPRS

MayPRS New Member

The best Telecaster I've ever played was a Squier Classic Vibe 50's. I compared it at a store with MIM, USA, Japan and that particular guitar smoked all of them in playability, setup and tone.

SinSir likes this.
  17. NazgulUK

NazgulUK Oops I did it again

I'm happy with my Stoodent Edition - If I could play even close to well enough to warrant a Private Stock, I'd be on the waiting list right now.

bodia and dogrocketp like this.
  18. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Gibson bought their main competitor, Epiphone, a long time ago and made it their import name. G&L has their Tribute Series...and others have that kind of thing as well.

There's nothing wrong with either approach, of course, but I kind of like the honesty on the part of PRS to give their import line (made by independent contractors under license) its own identity.

19. sergiodeblanc

As more and more time goes by, I kinda like the SE guitars without the Paul Reed Smith logo more and more.

There’s almost a badge of courage kinda thing to proudly rock them right next to my (more) expensive PRS. Zero shame in an SE. Sh!t.... my Bernie kills SC GAS every time I pull it out.

20. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 New Member

Years ago I owned a 2nd year Santana SE that was an amazing guitar.

It already has some very nice upgraded SD pickups and all the winging and pots had been upgraded when I bought it.

FOOLISHLY I sold it.

It's one of the few lower end guitars that I wish I'd never sold.

I've run into a lot of Santana SE's since then, but none have come close to that one.

It must have been a combination of the the neck, pickups, upgraded pots and wiring that made it so special.

Live and learn. :(

#20 Texsunburst59, Apr 16, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    LSchefman and dogrocketp like this.