SE Hollowbody thread

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Frank McNerney, Nov 18, 2019.

1. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

I had an SE hollowbody standard, and it was a fantastic guitar. It had the true 1960's jazz sound down cold. It did pretty much everything, but absolutely ruled for jazz. Well. I don't play much Jazz anymore, and then they had to make the SE Hollowbody Piezo in Blue. And I mean stupidly beautiful blue. The standard got sold, and the Hollowbody piezo is in the living room. It has an amazing variety of tones, and I have a piezo, if I ever play musical theatre again. One less instrument in the pit. There is no right or wrong answer, and no best. The good news is there is also no bad. They are amazing guitars for the money, and I actually like laminated archtops as much as my precious carved top. I grew up on archtops. There will always be variety in the flame of the top of a guitar. It's kind of hit or miss. I would say buy the color you like, and see a good picture before you buy, if the flame is important to you.

aphantomvaper, bodia and Alnus Rubra like this.
  2. Nice F Holes

Nice F Holes New Member

I found pickup rings that fit. I ordered some to confirm. They might be about 0.2 mm short on the screw spacing, but that’s pretty darn close. I measured 83.5mm spacing, these were listed as 83.3mm so I thought I’d give them a shot. I now have one installed, and will post a pic as soon as I get some other hardware stuff that I’m working through sorted.

https://www.guitarpartsfactory.us/P...ckup-Ring-Set-for-Epiphone?search=PC-6743-023

#262 Nice F Holes, Mar 19, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  3. NBW

NBW New Member

I am having some buzzing on some of the strings sometimes open sometimes fretted. It’s weird. I probably should just change strings and recheck the setup. I ordered some Manlius 59LT PAFs to see if I can a more jazz box tone.

4. Visual Guy

Visual Guy New Member

I know I told @Nice F Holes privately already, but I’ve went down the pickup ring rabbit hole on these guitars and found some helpful info. The rings from all parts, Sku/Part number PC-6743-023 will be a direct replacement basically. I’ve ordered from a luthier on reverb who took measurements and got the same as what is linked in F-holes suggestion. A friend of mine is also modding his and ordered the sku off amazon from a seller and they all showed up fitting fine on his SE HB standard and his II. So let the record show, the search is over. Just get that part number from allparts and you should be good to go for rings on these guitars! Here is a link to the reverb seller who took measurements. Hope this helps any future interest for folks! Took me a few weeka to sort it out but now we have answers! Haha

https://reverb.com/item/38379648-al...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=38379648

John Beef likes this.
  5. Warmart

Warmart Fani PRSi

I've been watching metric sh1ttons of Rush on YouTube lately, and you often see Alex(ander the Great) Lifeson wielding a hollow body. I had this 7-string Schecter hanging on the wall that I never play, so I started looking around Friday - when I should've been working, but then I'm leaving this job in 2 weeks, so they can shuck it. :D

A little shop in the next town over had 2 SE Hollowbodies (I fell for the mahogany Standard in Fire Red Burst - very nice red!) and they gave me a great trade on the Schecter, so the rest is history! I now have 5 PRSi and I can't begin to say how f0rking blown away I am over this guitar! I don't think I've ever played a hollow or semi electric before, just never had any interest. In just a few minutes of playing at home I quickly realized that I've been an absolute moron, I love the hollowbody sound! Geesh, personal growth is great and all, but how did I not know this!? Rush's "Spirit of the Radio" never sounded so damn good (under my fingers anywho)! Man, I played it every spare second I could find this weekend, talk about inspirational!

Geesh, when I pick up any of my other guitars, including a core 594 that I love, I have to look down at the pu selector as it sounds like I'm on the neck pickup!! WTF? Geesh, this is going to get expensive as hell, isn't it? Very pleased with this guitar, nut pings a bit but I couldn't stop playing it to try some pencil in the slots! Who has time??:cool:

6. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

A Rush inspired purchase................I APPROVE!!!

7. Warmart

Warmart Fani PRSi

Thank you! Rush is really the first band I ever fell for! I then got into other stuff, and neglected them for far too long a period, but that's been corrected! Another toy, that helped destroy, the elder race of man - well it could destroy my bank account!

Alnus Rubra, g.wizz and bodia like this.
  8. chicagoslim

chicagoslim New Member

NGD

After going back to the shop and trying the Special Edition, SE Custom 22, quilt top, I compared it to a SE Hollowbody II. I came home with the Hollowbody II, as it sounded much better. The action was a little high, but I couldn't see anything wrong with the guitar. With a little adjustment, this thing is as nice as my S2's. I guess they were right when they said, import guitars are setup by factory workers, and S2's are setup by guitar players.

Plus, I got it for the Black Friday sale price.

[​IMG]

9. aphantomvaper

aphantomvaper New Member

I better not see one of these during Black Friday shopping, or I'm the only getting something under the tree ;)

That is phenomenal Slim!

bodia, chicagoslim and Warmart like this.