SE Hollowbody Standard vs Piezo, buying online

Nice F Holes

I got to play an SE Hollowbody Standard for like 2 minutes in the store, unplugged. I’m interested in the Piezo and wondering if they pretty much feel and play the same? I don’t like buying a guitar w/o being able to play it first, but I’m on an island that’s in complete lockdown so I don’t think I can avoid it.

I imagine the Piezo is a touch heavier. Are the necks the same? Is there much variation in SE necks or guitars of the same model?

Thanks for your help.

Actually, my standard was heavier than my piezo. There is a little neck dive with the piezo. The necks were very close, but my piezo is slightly less deep. The standard did the jazz thing better than any thin Hollowbody I ever played. The neck pickup was for the gods. It had a slightly warmer, darker sound that was really nice. It was one of the best 335 sounding guitars ever, and my luthier really liked the way it played. He told me not to sell it. Unfortunately, PRS then came out with the piezo in blue. Don’t get me started on blue guitars again. The piezo has brighter humbucker sounds, but that’s what the tone control is for. I already have 2 other archtops that do the jazz thing, and I’m physically out of space. So the standard is on the bay, and I pulled it off once already before my son told me I was out of space. Damn reality and apartment living!

I got to play an SE Hollowbody Standard for like 2 minutes in the store, unplugged. I’m interested in the Piezo and wondering if they pretty much feel and play the same? I don’t like buying a guitar w/o being able to play it first, but I’m on an island that’s in complete lockdown so I don’t think I can avoid it.

I imagine the Piezo is a touch heavier. Are the necks the same? Is there much variation in SE necks or guitars of the same model?

Thanks for your help.

The neck profile, feel and weight are about the same. Perhaps a slight difference in weight, given the piezo bridge and internal electronics. The tone palette is indeed different and typically is best employed with 2 separate instrument cables connecting direct to amp and DI box/PA.

I personally use a HeadRush Gigboard for the magnetic pickups and a DI box to also connect to an FRFR108 powered speaker.

The SE HBII does jazz quite well, the Piezo adds the option for funk, folk, country. IMHO, the Piezo is just a more versatile instrument. For those on a tighter budget, the HBII will do just fine.

This is my SE HBII Piezo imaged with Pixelmator software. Colors for the Piezo are either Peacock Blue or Black Gold Burst. Enjoy.

Dave's Guitars or Sweetwater are 2 online retailers many of us trust. Best wishes.

5195eGr.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Ugh, the dreaded neck dive. I wish I could spend more time with one of these guitars. I would have thought Piezo would be heavier in the body with the electronics and therefore less neck dive. But maybe it’s a maple vs mahogany thing. And maybe it’s not terrible. I had a guitar I loved everything else about but the neck dive made sell it and not regret it. I don’t think the SE’s are as bad though.

I don’t really need the Piezo (would be nice to have I guess) but I really like the available colors. They both (blue and gold) look like they should be my guitar.

I really loved the sound and feel of the unplugged HBII. I just don’t love the available colors.

Last edited:
The neck dive is very slight. I put SE locking tuners on mine. John Mann promises he will soon have non metal tuner buttons, which should make it balance perfectly. The standard was as solid as a rock. By the way, there is color variance in all of the colors for each model. My peacock blue is pretty dark, and the Black gold burst is stunning in person. Both colors in the standard are magnificent. I believe you absolutely can’t go wrong with any of these. I think they are the finest laminated hollowbodies I’ve ever played. I still have my beautiful Guild X170, which is one of my to the grave guitars. But either of the hollowbodies can do anything from big band to Linkin Park with no trouble.

I think so too. Now I'm just trying to decide between looks/versatility vs cost/tone. I like the woody tone of the standard - it seems to be present in almost every video. Idk if that would get old or ever be limiting though.

I made an offer of $750 out the door with case for the one I tried. They’re asking $900 + tax, plus they’re not technically open due to lockdowns, so I doubt it will happen. But we’ll see.

It looks like the Piezo bridge isn’t all that different in terms of playability. Is there anything I should be aware of if I were to buy one? Do they hold tune well, sustain as well, etc?

Congratulations! That is one helluva fine guitar. It’ll be great right out of the box. Although you won’t need to, I put locking studs and locking tuners on mine. Boy, will you be glad you bought it when the honeymoon part is over. They are keepers. I think you’ll be surprised at the sustain. I sure was.

Thanks!! Just wait til it gets the 57/08s =D

Yeah I imagine this one will be around awhile.

Every video of the blue one started with me thinking “why the F are they playing my guitar?!” so I figured that meant something, lol.

Now it’s time to accessorize, haha. I’ll check out locking studs. I have some from a Gotoh bridge but Idk if the threads are right.

What about pots? Do people use PRS or CTS? I want to do outer coils in series.

It looks like the Piezo bridge isn’t all that different in terms of playability. Is there anything I should be aware of if I were to buy one? Do they hold tune well, sustain as well, etc?
They are literally the same bridge. The Standard doesn't have the electronic circuit board on the back side, but you can see in my pic here there is a recess for it, plus 6 slots for the piezo wires to go to the saddles. Also, the Standard has all the interior bits for a piezo, just not the electronics, so this guitar was designed to be piezo capable from the get-go.

BAog0Px.jpg

I liked the stock pickups so much, I bought another set on Reverb (for an SE Standard 22 that could benefit from them).

Last edited:
Thanks guys, you all make good points. I agree it would be nice to have improvements to look forward to. Putting a push/pull and wiring for coil split and outer coils in series wouldn’t “change”, just add, but I guess there’s no real rush. I can wire my kit guitar up that way. That project is almost ready for dye so it won’t be too long. I’ve always wanted to try that.

The local shop left me a note and agreed to $750 out the door for the SE HB Standard. I’m glad I bought the blue Piezo first. Hopefully I’ll like playing it just as much as that HB std, but if not I know where to find the other one.

I ordered a ‘swinging/floating maple guitar stand. I’m going to to dye it the same color as my new guitar. I think it’s going to be nice! The red std wouldn’t have inspired me to do the same I don’t think.

Last edited:
Back