SE Hollowbody Standard, pics and teardown

The bridge block has a cutout for Piezo wires, so @jak3af3r may have accurately predicted the future.

sq0Db9m.jpg

I'm just relaying info I heard that I maybe wasn't supposed to hear. COO Jack was supposed to do the tour but they pulled another guy at the last second and I asked some questions most of which were answered and then on a tangent I heard about new models specifically the SE HB piezo.

So how do you get the pots out and the new ones back in place?

Assemble externally and pull through with fishing line around the posts is what I've always heard.

Yup. The PRS Hollowbody has the advantage of being able to feed them in through the bridge pickup rout instead of wiggling it all through the f hole.

US knobs fit well? Just got my SE HB and I don’t hate the stock knobs but I don’t love them either.
Yeah, no problem! I was surprised, they just slipped on like they belonged.
What garret said... compared to working on a 335 style (NEVER AGAIN), this thing would be cake. I would make a template with cardboard, mount the pots and switch in the cardboard, get all the wires just right, then feed everything through all in one go. This also has the advantage of having all the controls in the right spot where you can get your pinkie in to hold each component in place as you're tightening nuts and such.

How acoustically loud are these? Seems like they'd be great to play unplugged too.

While mine is not a cannon, it has good acoustic volume. I’m curious to see how it sounds after break in. I’ve got about 40 hours on mine, and it’s just starting to loosen up. I also bought one of every type of 10-$$$ that D’Addario makes to see how the guitar responds. This has enough jazz box sound without the larger body size to enable me to do a lot once I’ve got it sorted out. Big kudos to Jack Higginbotham for spending so much airplane time getting this together in China, and getting home without Covid.

I’m a huge NYXL fan. They’re next in line to go on the guitar when the current set needs to be replaced. It’ll take me about 6 weeks to cycle through all the strings. The ones I’m most curious to try are the half rounds. That could take the neck pickup to the next level, or be too boomy. I had to put the guitar down because my hand muscles have been getting sore.

Is the switch tip a standard size? I want to swap mine to black, but im not sure what to order. Thanks.

Back