SE Hollowbody Standard, pics and teardown

John Beef

Opaque
Boredumb. Taking apart my newest guitar just for grins.

JNlK9cY.jpg

R4H9GWQ.jpg

puca45Z.jpg

bMAnJWR.jpg

Looking around the insides, everything is precision carved and fits tight. I tried to get some photos but it's a ***** trying to get the camera up in there.

qgZE1eK.jpg

Pickups:

JoDskka.jpg

As for the wiring and such, the pots are Alpha, though they are shiny with brass parts as opposed to the dull grey Alphas usually are. They even used little adhesive plastic clips on the insides to keep the wires running in the right places.

L8Rbmu0.jpg

Cool!
So if I'm seeing it right, is the top super thick where the pickups are (like the core guitars)?
I was surprised at how thick it was, but it turns out those are support bars like on an acoustic guitar. If you put your finger in there, those are only maybe 1/4" thick or so. I really don't know how that would compare to a US model.

So, how does it sound? Is there a style it's best suited for?

I uh... fingered it again (don't tell my wife) and I think there's a block in there, not just rails. It's glued to the top and supports the pickups and neck tenon in between the neck and bridge.

@88prs I am primarily a rock player, and I've been irrationally obsessed with finding a good hollowbody for probably 10 years. The PRS Core models were outside my price range. I splurged on a used Knaggs at one point that was a ridiculous deal (probably because it was gloss black) but couldn't justify the $$ for what wasn't going to be the best sounding guitar I owned for what I do. So far this SE is one of the best combinations of good tones and quality for a reasonable price. It works for rock, the rest of our band approves of me using it so it's sitting in mixes well. It would work for Jazz most likely as the neck pickup is pretty mellow.

I have been toying with the idea of putting in some Lollartrons or similar, just because I already have several really good humbucker guitars.

Thanks, John. You’ve answered almost every question I had about mine, except one. The headstock is thicker than the other SE’s, so I couldn’t drop my hipshot tuners in. Has anyone found a locking replacement yet? The only thing I don’t like about the guitar is the tuners. Shawn? Do you have an idea?

Thanks, John. You’ve answered almost every question I had about mine, except one. The headstock is thicker than the other SE’s, so I couldn’t drop my hipshot tuners in. Has anyone found a locking replacement yet? The only thing I don’t like about the guitar is the tuners. Shawn? Do you have an idea?

Hipshot make them in different post heights. You can get them individually from Hipshot, or it's worth an email to SportHiTech to see if they can hook you up with a set of taller posts.

Great looking axe. I'm looking at this one, or the II, but just the flame top is different between the two?

Great looking axe. I'm looking at this one, or the II, but just the flame top is different between the two?

standard is laminated mahogany top/back/sides for a warmer sound, the II is laminated maple top/back/sides for a brighter sound. They’re pretty much the same otherwise other than the II having bound f holes as well.

I have bright amps, so I’m leaning toward the standard. The forum-correct answer is to get both!

The II has a mahogany rim.

I don't see it specified on the PRS site, but I remember reading somewhere the Standard is three-ply and the II is five-ply.

The PRS SE locking tuners fit perfectly in mine.

I broke out the calipers and measured. The Hollowbody's headstock is slightly thicker by only about a half a millimeter compared to my two core guitars and SE277.

Oh, I just couldn't contain my boredom, I mean curiosity, so I bought a $25 endoscope camera on Amazon so I can get better internal shots.

Hipshot make them in different post heights. You can get them individually from Hipshot, or it's worth an email to SportHiTech to see if they can hook you up with a set of taller posts.
Thank you, Garrett! I went through my parts, and sure enough, there was a set with longer posts and the correct UMP plates. Duh! I had to measure my headstock. It’s 2.25 mm thicker than my others. Does anyone have a little bridge lean? By the way, I heard a rumor from a certain COO that Brian E might like the standard a little better.

Back