SE Holcomb intonation

Ovibos

Naughty Wood Librarian
Did a little work on it tonight, and almost have it dialed in. Neck needed less relief to get near straight (Chicago winters), minor saddle tweaks.

However, I just can't quite get the 6th (C) string in tune at the 12th fret. I've moved the saddle pretty much as far back as it goes and we're still sharp. I keep it in the stock Drop C, with 10-52s.

Any thoughts?

Here's where it is now - so we think spring chopping is the way to go?

287B8DE8-AA2A-44FD-8623-AE1CBE2EBB7B_zps20ubuvhy.jpg

Chopping the spring is pretty much the only route you can go with this saddle. Just be mindful, to achieve the travel you need the screw might come into contact with the string and this might need shortening too. With the screw potentially coming into contact with the string, this well make a string change more difficult.

The present string could be defective. Before you begin hacking away I would suggest replacing the string with a new one and trying that first. A string with a kink or other malformation will always give you issues with intonation. I wince when I see how some experts suggest you stretch them.

Don't have a lot to add here, except I've been in this exact situation, drop C with a 52 and having to back the saddle all the way back.

Don't have a lot to add here, except I've been in this exact situation, drop C with a 52 and having to back the saddle all the way back.
Yeah, it just seems weird bc this model is designed for drop C and I'd maybe expect there to be necessary travel in the saddles.

Back