SE Headstock Decal Question

Proteus

Tru-Arc Bridgeworks
Does anyone know from experience or reliable source how deep the SE decal lay on pre-sig headstocks?

I have no intention ever to attempt to deceive anyone (and the back of the headstock spells it all out pretty clearly) but I'd rather have the PRS signature and a small SE than a HUGE SE and no sig.

So I'm thinking, strip the headstock down to where the old decal disappears, put on the new decal, multiple coats of clear and polish.

Tips? Opinions?

Yessir, I saw that thread, and followed some ideas it generated. Hasn't panned out yet, but that remains a possibility. On this project, I was hoping for a more permanent approach.

Varnish over the finished product and you've got your permanent solution.
51550524080_a769b952da_c.jpg
51223452324_f6c1fb5d77_c.jpg

51223461379_fb6776f03d_c.jpg
51222904568_e8c25c19a3_c.jpg

All of these had the older SE block logo (which I dislike) "Fun times with Vinyl" mods done and lightly matte varnished

Does anyone know from experience or reliable source how deep the SE decal lay on pre-sig headstocks?

I have no intention ever to attempt to deceive anyone (and the back of the headstock spells it all out pretty clearly) but I'd rather have the PRS signature and a small SE than a HUGE SE and no sig.

So I'm thinking, strip the headstock down to where the old decal disappears, put on the new decal, multiple coats of clear and polish.

Tips? Opinions?

Got an SE that's in the middle of the exact process your contemplating, Tim, just waiting for a new decal like the one you describe to arrive in the mail; the finish isn't very deep at all -- sand away!

sanded-SE-headstock.jpg

Hey, would you look at that! Is that down to bare wood, or is there some clear-coat left?

Tips? Opinions?

Got an SE that's in the middle of the exact process your contemplating, Tim, just waiting for a new decal like the one you describe to arrive in the mail; the finish isn't very deep at all -- sand away!

sanded-SE-headstock.jpg

Finally done!

20220626-152706.jpg

More here: SE Mods.

Back